hi, I'm Debbie.

Guest debra stewart

Guest debra stewart
Hi Debbie,Great to hear your story! I flew a Gazelle up until very recently, and enjoyed every minute, so I can very much relate to what you are saying. Hope to hear lots more about your flying exploits in Tassie (and anywhere else!).....

Best Regards,

Neil

yes, they are an exceptional little machine. I love mine to pieces and will never part with it. I like the slow speed and restful simplicity of it. I like to be able to take in the scenery etc. don't mind not being able to go fast, and landing is so lovely. I have had it nearly 3 years now and it never misses a beat. Starts first kick every time, and we get very cold weather here, and sounds like a kitten purring. Handles like a dream and is a fine machine for a female I think. None of the others impress me much as I'm not into all the "stuff" and the more stuff the more complicated. I am hoping that by the time I win the lottery I will be able to have mine resprayed and done up, befitting it's performance. Better stop now before I offend someone. I really do love the gazelle!

Ok lovely to have met you all, bye for now, Debb

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot get my license though, until I can get the plane into the hangar on my own

Really??

They won't give you a licence because of this??

Not having a go at you, just never heard of a licence not being granted because you cannot push a plane into a hanger.

Crikey, some training aircraft are not even stored in a hanger.

• Agree 1

"can't get it in the hangar by myself......."

Have you considered a cheap 12v winch fixed to the back wall of the hangar? Works for me. cheers

• Agree 2

thanks for the welcome. While I'm here I am after rear wheel spats for my gazelle, Cheap.That story above is now 3 years old. I am well and truly flying now and loving it.

Greetings Deb

I have at least 4 pair of f/glass m/wheel covers collecting dust in my hangar (legacy of years of 'superlighting') but can't establish what the larger ones might fit. There is a Gazelle hangared on the airfield but the co-owners are very sporadic in their attendance so I'll have to await their appearance in order to cross-reference what I've got against what you need. I'll let you know when it happens cheers Riley

• Informative 2

Guest debra stewart

no, I didn't mean it like that. I meant that It is very quiet where I hangar my plane and on a Friday which is my lesson day, I am usually the only one out there, so if I didn't have my instructor I would not be able to get the plane into the hangar by myself, it is too heavy for me. Which means that if I had a license, what good would it do me because I cant go out there alone ! I need someone with me to help me get the plane back in. Until I can rig up some sort of winch ( which wont work in my situation because of the position of the hangar) I'll just have to keep having lessons which is fine with me. The plane has to go into the hangar backwards ( otherwise I cant get it out, which I can normally do OK) and be turned on a 180 deg arc, then pushed into the hangar. It is impossible for me as I don't have enough strength. It is also a little bit uphill. I have tried every type of winch which is no good because of the stress on the tail in the turn. Hopefully the people who run the place will give me another hangar but because of lack of space I may have to wait a long time. I've been waiting 2 and a half years so far.

I hope that has cleared things up. I don't see any point in getting a license until I can solve this problem as I'd be left on my own which is no good. I wouldnt be able to fly at all. I don't know many people down here so I don't have the luxury of being able to get someone to come with me every week, etc.

Anyway, it is not a big problem. I will work it out someday. Debb

Guest debra stewart
Greetings DebI have at least 4 pair of f/glass m/wheel covers collecting dust in my hangar (legacy of years of 'superlighting') but can't establish what the larger ones might fit. There is a Gazelle hangared on the airfield but the co-owners are very sporadic in their attendance so I'll have to await their appearance in order to cross-reference what I've got against what you need. I'll let you know when it happens cheers Riley

Oh thankyou so much. That would be wonderful. The problem at present is the owners of the airfield are letting their cows onto the strip and surrounds, which they have never done before, and the manure problem is out of control. I am actually going to stop going out for a while as I am sick of having to scrub down the plane after every flight ( 2 hrs) and clean up manure from the front of the hangar so that I can get my plane up to the strip( another 2 hrs). It makes my one hour lesson into a 6 hour disaster.

The manure sets like concrete if you don't remove it immediately, it stinks, and is all over the plane when I come back to the hangar. Last week it was all through my brake system and the undercarriage and everywhere else and I could have cried. I thought spats may alleviate the problem a bit, but it might make it worse. Worth a try though. If this keeps up I may have to move on. I don't know if other pilots out there have complained but I would have thought that it was a major safety hazard having cows on a live strip. Oh well, not much I can do. Wait and see if it goes back to the way it was. thanks again for your kind offer. ( how much?)

Guest debra stewart
"can't get it in the hangar by myself......."Have you considered a cheap 12v winch fixed to the back wall of the hangar? Works for me. cheers

Hi, no, wont work in my situation. See below for story, thanks Debb

You need some reverse thrust :)

Speaking of Gazelles djpacro you will know this, what ever happened to VH-ONE that was a nice whirly bird.

Remember doing some work on the lovely old thing, think Andy Harris owned it or could have been his business partner Mr Trimbole.

Hi Debra,

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of good information here, I have learnt a lot from experienced pilots who contribute. Well, there is, once you have fitted your manure filters for some of those less qualified contributors!

Most of all though, it's great to see another Tassie pilot joining us.

Pete

• Agree 1

Hi Deb, I to, welcome you to our forum. As to your ground handling problem, have a look at caravan movers. Some are mechanical and others are electric. You may need a bridle of sorts to fix to your nose wheel but other than that, it would be perfect for you. I have a 70 odd year old friend who's wife manipulates their van as he's had a stroke.

Guest debra stewart
Hi Deb, I to, welcome you to our forum. As to your ground handling problem, have a look at caravan movers. Some are mechanical and others are electric. You may need a bridle of sorts to fix to your nose wheel but other than that, it would be perfect for you. I have a 70 odd year old friend who's wife manipulates their van as he's had a stroke.

Thankyou very much. I will try to find a caravan place and see what the story is. Unfortunately money is a problem for me as I only work 2 days per week now. I struggle constantly, but I wont sell my plane ! So it is really a matter of cost. If it is within my budget that will be excellent. I can only ask!!

Thankyou for your help. So good being able to get information from so many generous people.

Guest debra stewart
Hi Deb, Welcome to the Forum. I hope you find a way to move your aircraft into the hangar soon.098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

What a lovely saying. I will remember that. Yes, all problems are solved eventually ! bye for now.

Guest debra stewart
Hi Debra,Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of good information here, I have learnt a lot from experienced pilots who contribute. Well, there is, once you have fitted your manure filters for some of those less qualified contributors!

Most of all though, it's great to see another Tassie pilot joining us.

Pete

Wonderful to be accepted. So nice to talk to likeminded people. I might fly often but I only get to talk to my instructor mostly. Very isolated place where I fly from, and can be a bit lonely but I hope to maybe change that one day.

Guest debra stewart
What about a push bar and an old clapped out quadbike?

thankyou so much. I'll try the caravan mover I think. But maybe the price will be against me.

Guest debra stewart
Debs, I believe you can get a hand operated mover. Hitch it up and turn a handle which is linked to the drive wheel via a chain. Shouldn't be too expensive.

thanks very much for your interest and I will give every suggestion a try, I promise. Its the turn that ruins the whole thing. If I could just back it straight into the hangar, but limited room outside, so I'm turning and pushing at the same time, very hard. You can see in the picture that I have to back it around and in to the hangar behind so it is a very tight 180 deg turn, and that stuff on the ground is soft so the wheels embed themselves in it which makes it harder. To the left of the plane in the picture is another hangar ( back wall) so I am very close to it, with not much room at all to move. Anyway, thankyou very much for your help, Debb

........ Last week it was all through my brake system and the undercarriage and everywhere else and I could have cried. I thought spats may alleviate the problem a bit, but it might make it worse. ......

Hi Deb,

Not sure spats would help - they tend to hold mud/manure etc and are difficult to keep clean on the inside.....I agree they tend to stop so much mud/manure from being sprayed up under the wings though.....Catch 22 it would seem....

We never had spats on the wheels on our Gazelle, and this made it much easier to see the condition of the brakes/wheels/tyres, and keep the whole area clean.

I keep a spray bottle of water handy in the hangar, and use it currently to clean bugs/dirt off the leading edges/struts etc while "fresh" before I put the plane away - perhaps you could use one to clean the worst of the manure off while still "fresh" 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Good luck - I am sure an enterprising lady such as yourself will solve these issues in good time.

Cheers,

Neil

Guest debra stewart
Just think Deb. once you solve the parking problem and get your certificate, then you can fly to where the people are and you will have lots to talk to.

Yeah, I guess so, although I'm not overly brave. I love flying in my own area but I'm not very adventurous or wanting to go too far. It seems that most of the pilots I meet want to be off and going here and there, but I'm happy to fly for an hour, or do some circuits, whatever, and then come down. I get a little claustrophobic not being able to pull over if need be, and the cockpit is quite tight in the gazelle, and I'm the type of person who loves plenty of space. I enjoy the time I do have up there, but much more than an hour and I'm getting ready to come down.

I know that sounds unlike most pilots you probably know but maybe things will change in another year. They have changed so much in the last 2 years ! I am doing things now I never thought I'd ever be able to do, so who knows. Nothing is written in stone ! Debb