hi, I'm Debbie.

Guest debra stewart

Guest debra stewart
Welcome Debra. It has taken a month for me to see this post and you sure have caused a flurry of posts. The gazelle is a nice little plane, one I have only flown once, doing a flight review and put it down at emu park in a simulated engine failure. Havn't tried it in 30k of wind, but the Skyfox was good and it is a taildragger.Enjoy it.

Hi how are you? Mine is not a taildragger ( thank goodness, as I don't know if I could handle one of those) but it is a gem none the less. A real one off. I don't think I could ever part with it. My dream is to one day win the lottery and be able to restore it to pristine condition, re-spray, all new interior, blah, blah. It truly deserves it. I would have the engine seriously looked at, but I wouldn't change it for quids. I did have the engine completely overhauled when I first bought it. It is such a reliable little plane and so problem free. I would never have come this far without it that's for sure. It gave me the confidence over time, to get rid of all the fear I had, and I depend on it mentally as I trust it so much, maybe too much. I still do very thorough checks every week and take nothing for granted, but it is certainly a beauty.

Also, as I said in a recent post, 25 to 30 kmh winds are normal down here so I learned the hard way, but it hasn't hurt me, just scared me a lot ! ha ha.

Anyway, nice to meet you and I don't know about the flurry of posts but we have certainly gotten off the track of planes on a couple of occasions. Doesn't hurt to have good open and honest communication though.

Bye for now, merry Christmas, Debb

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest debra stewart

Hi all, just wanted to wish everyone a lovely new year and hope that you are all contented and at peace.

Can be a terrible time for some but it s all over now for another year.

I went flying last Thursday and had a wonderful time. Did four beautiful landings ( yes, I brag and brag) and was so proud of myself. I am not concentrating as hard as I used to, a bit more relaxed and relying on feel now which is what I have been waiting to happen. I wanted to feel as confident in the plane as I do in my car and that is finally happening. Still a bit scared when weird things happen but that's the way it is. I'll never be a super hero.

I'm not overly mad keen on taking off but landing is a joy.

Plane is running beautifully. I just found out however ( with three other men telling me all sorts of things) that I have been running it on less oil than it should have had. After much panic and feeling terrible I realised that it has flown this way for 2 and a half years and is going beautifully so no worries. The last oil change I did, The dip stick later read at the lower mark ( ? ) so I just assumed that was where the normal reading was taken( and my instructor kept reading it there too) I was just copying him.

So I will continue on and check each week to make sure I have not overfilled it and was correct in the first place. Too many cooks.......sometimes, you know !!! It can be very hard when you feel something is right but a few men are all telling you different things, so I will be patient and try to figure this little problem out myself as I go on.

The plane is fine that's all that matters.

Bye guys, have a lovely break if you are having one, if not go for a fly ! Debb

If anyone does know for absolute sure which mark the oil should be read on could you please let me know. The dip stick is quite small and has an indentation in the metal at about 1cm from the bottom. Then there are two distinct straight marks one ( bottom) one near the top. Apparently when the oil reading is taken it should be somewhere between these two, not at the top mark.

Hi all, just wanted to wish everyone a lovely new year and hope that you are all contented and at peace.Can be a terrible time for some but it s all over now for another year.

I went flying last Thursday and had a wonderful time. Did four beautiful landings ( yes, I brag and brag) and was so proud of myself. I am not concentrating as hard as I used to, a bit more relaxed and relying on feel now which is what I have been waiting to happen. I wanted to feel as confident in the plane as I do in my car and that is finally happening. Still a bit scared when weird things happen but that's the way it is. I'll never be a super hero.

I'm not overly mad keen on taking off but landing is a joy.

Plane is running beautifully. I just found out however ( with three other men telling me all sorts of things) that I have been running it on less oil than it should have had. After much panic and feeling terrible I realised that it has flown this way for 2 and a half years and is going beautifully so no worries. The last oil change I did, The dip stick later read at the lower mark ( ? ) so I just assumed that was where the normal reading was taken( and my instructor kept reading it there too) I was just copying him.

So I will continue on and check each week to make sure I have not overfilled it and was correct in the first place. Too many cooks.......sometimes, you know !!! It can be very hard when you feel something is right but a few men are all telling you different things, so I will be patient and try to figure this little problem out myself as I go on.

The plane is fine that's all that matters.

Bye guys, have a lovely break if you are having one, if not go for a fly ! Debb

If anyone does know for absolute sure which mark the oil should be read on could you please let me know. The dip stick is quite small and has an indentation in the metal at about 1cm from the bottom. Then there are two distinct straight marks one ( bottom) one near the top. Apparently when the oil reading is taken it should be somewhere between these two, not at the top mark.

Best to check in the rotax manual or call bert floods; there is a topic on the forums about the oil level in 912's. I burp engine cold and then look for about 3/4 oil cover on the flat area between the low and high indicators. I was told to never fill to above the high mark.

Regards

Mike

Hi Debra,

a belated Welcome to the Forum 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif from another flying female about the same vintage. My internet died for 4 weeks so I am just catching up.

I had trouble manoeuvring my C152 on the ground - pushing back wasn't a problem, but pushing the tail down to swing it was, as I weighed 42kg (a few years back) and at 4' 7" I couldn't throw my weight over it and still have enough traction to move it. I got stuck in a melon hole at Ilfracombe Qld and had to go get help or I would still be bouncing it up and down wishing I had a long rope or more height and weight.

A photo or diagram of the hangar would help explain things. You can attach one to the message by using the icon next to the smiley face on the tool bar. If it is too big (too many kbs) then right click on the image file and choose "send to" then "email .." choose "medium". That will open an email message with the smaller file attached. Click on it and Save As, or double click to open and then Save As. Try attaching again. Alternatively a diagram might help. I could draw one and we can work on getting it right. Then someone will come up with a solution.

Blue Skies, Gentle winds

Sue

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

If you overfill it will vent overboard rapidly as the engine vents through the oil tank. That is how the oil is returned. It's unlikely you will have done any damage with the oil level a bit low. It's a dry sump system and till it's so low it sucks air all is more or less well but your oil gets worked a bit harder. Keep it in the range on the dip stick and burp it after it's been sitting to return all the oil from the engine. Dip and add then. It should run at about 85 degrees or a bit warmer. Nev

Guest debra stewart
Best to check in the rotax manual or call bert floods; there is a topic on the forums about the oil level in 912's. I burp engine cold and then look for about 3/4 oil cover on the flat area between the low and high indicators. I was told to never fill to above the high mark.Regards

Mike

thanks Mike, I will stick with what you have said I think. Makes perfect sense to me. I'd like to know it was full but planes are different from cars and so I will leave it at halfway between the two marks.

Bye for now, debb

Guest debra stewart
Hi Debra,

a belated Welcome to the Forum 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif from another flying female about the same vintage. My internet died for 4 weeks so I am just catching up.

I had trouble manoeuvring my C152 on the ground - pushing back wasn't a problem, but pushing the tail down to swing it was, as I weighed 42kg (a few years back) and at 4' 7" I couldn't throw my weight over it and still have enough traction to move it. I got stuck in a melon hole at Ilfracombe Qld and had to go get help or I would still be bouncing it up and down wishing I had a long rope or more height and weight.

A photo or diagram of the hangar would help explain things. You can attach one to the message by using the icon next to the smiley face on the tool bar. If it is too big (too many kbs) then right click on the image file and choose "send to" then "email .." choose "medium". That will open an email message with the smaller file attached. Click on it and Save As, or double click to open and then Save As. Try attaching again. Alternatively a diagram might help. I could draw one and we can work on getting it right. Then someone will come up with a solution.

Blue Skies, Gentle winds

Sue

Hi Sue, my avatar (picture) shows my hangar in the background I have to swing the plane around and reverse in.

Hope you had a lovely chrissy, gotta run, work beckons, Debb

Guest debra stewart
If you overfill it will vent overboard rapidly as the engine vents through the oil tank. That is how the oil is returned. It's unlikely you will have done any damage with the oil level a bit low. It's a dry sump system and till it's so low it sucks air all is more or less well but your oil gets worked a bit harder. Keep it in the range on the dip stick and burp it after it's been sitting to return all the oil from the engine. Dip and add then. It should run at about 85 degrees or a bit warmer. Nev

thanks Nev, very much, Debb

Deb, I have used a boat winch for pulling a plane backwards as it is difficult to push, I also used an electric boat winch but it was slow. Also used a ride on mower as a tug which is the best. How you work out a way to make it easy.

Guest debra stewart
Deb, I have used a boat winch for pulling a plane backwards as it is difficult to push, I also used an electric boat winch but it was slow. Also used a ride on mower as a tug which is the best. How you work out a way to make it easy.

Yeah, it is a pain that's for sure. never mind. Hopefully the owner will move me but she has been saying that for nearly 3 years. Fancy putting a learner in the hardest hangar of all. BUT I've learned a lot, so there you go. Still it is hampering my advancement and that makes me a bit cranky. Oh well, what can ya do?

Merry Christmas and happy new year, debb

Happy New Year Deb.

How about posting in the general part of the forums. you will get more response there. Some of us may not look at the intro forum after seeing a name way back. I only looked because I wondered why your name popped up so late after the first posting.

Do you have oil temperature gauge fitted, if so it will show too high a temp if your quantitiy is too low. Too much oil and it could end up on the belly of the plane just costing money.

Guest debra stewart
Happy New Year Deb.How about posting in the general part of the forums. you will get more response there. Some of us may not look at the intro forum after seeing a name way back. I only looked because I wondered why your name popped up so late after the first posting.

Do you have oil temperature gauge fitted, if so it will show too high a temp if your quantitiy is too low. Too much oil and it could end up on the belly of the plane just costing money.

Hi, I am having a hard time just navigating where I am on this site, ha ha . This is my first time doing this sort of thing and if I go off this page I might get lost. You will have to be patient until I find my way around things. I don't have anyone to help me so I'm doing it all by feel. I am great on computers at work and my home stuff like banking etc, but these sites have so much on each page and I tend to miss things or not know how to do something. Anyway, I'll figure it out.

debb

Guest debra stewart
Hi, I am having a hard time just navigating where I am on this site, ha ha . This is my first time doing this sort of thing and if I go off this page I might get lost. You will have to be patient until I find my way around things. I don't have anyone to help me so I'm doing it all by feel. I am great on computers at work and my home stuff like banking etc, but these sites have so much on each page and I tend to miss things or not know how to do something. Anyway, I'll figure it out.debb

Yes, I do have an oil temp gauge which reads pretty well where it should be all the time. I haven't added much oil to it only about 100mls, but it was enough to bring it up on the dip stick to where it should read, halfway between low mark and high mark. It was always a little over the low mark anyway. It runs so well I am loathe to change anything so I think I'll see how it goes with the little extra bit of oil in it and as I say, Its not much, so no big concern. Thanks debb

I think it was very opportune the topic was raised and a discussion most of us need to participate in. I'm grateful to Turbo for his post even though it might be an uncomfortable one in this space. I also greatly appreciate Facthunter's desire to make aviation more accessible and welcoming to women pilots.

Debbie made the point that respect is fundamental to a good relationship, platonic or otherwise, between men and women. How true that is!

Harassment starts with little bits of sexual innuendo and the belief some men have that it's ok to use freedom of expression as an excuse for unwelcome and sometimes frightening comments to a female stranger. It's not about being a feminazi or PC to refer to the data and make it clear that children act out what they see and hear from a very early age and gender stereotyping is the norm rather than the exception. If our children grow to adulthood in an environment where power and control are key factors in relationships that will define the relationships they have in their lives, too.

As Debbie made clear, good manners are just that and should be appreciated. Compliments from a friend are cherished. Acknowledgment of diverse skills in work or play is generous and encouraging. And mutual respect is fundamental to proper engagement with others.

Just my thoughts...Kaz

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Guest debra stewart
I think it was very opportune the topic was raised and a discussion most of us need to participate in. I'm grateful to Turbo for his post even though it might be an uncomfortable one in this space. I also greatly appreciate Facthunter's desire to make aviation more accessible and welcoming to women pilots.Debbie made the point that respect is fundamental to a good relationship, platonic or otherwise, between men and women. How true that is!

Harassment starts with little bits of sexual innuendo and the belief some men have that it's ok to use freedom of expression as an excuse for unwelcome and sometimes frightening comments to a female stranger. It's not about being a feminazi or PC to refer to the data and make it clear that children act out what they see and hear from a very early age and gender stereotyping is the norm rather than the exception. If our children grow to adulthood in an environment where power and control are key factors in relationships that will define the relationships they have in their lives, too.

As Debbie made clear, good manners are just that and should be appreciated. Compliments from a friend are cherished. Acknowledgment of diverse skills in work or play is generous and encouraging. And mutual respect is fundamental to proper engagement with others.

Just my thoughts...Kaz

Cheers Kaz, wonderfully put. I agree wholeheartedly. All I want in my life is people who are kind and considerate of each other, and prepared to act accordingly.

Especially men. If more men stood up and said in front of their mates, "no, I don't like to hear those sorts of comments" or whatever it is about, then hopefully younger men may overhear and learn from these wise souls.

Words said in the right setting, and the right context at an appropriate time, can be dynamite, especially among your peers.

I was having a discussion about my oil problem with two men and the one thing that never came up was "what is your opinion Debb, after all, it is your plane?". I was given a multitude of reasons, "fixes" and opinions, but was not spoken to as an intelligent plane owner with the capacity to think the problem through and come to a sensible conclusion. I was at fault as well because I kept second guessing myself in their presence and felt that because they had more experience than me, they therefore were more knowledgeable. I must learn to be more confident in my assessment of a situation and it's eventual conclusion and not let myself be made to feel inadequate. It can be very hard when you want to be friendly, not make waves, and leave the men with their egos in tact. Ah! Will we ever get it right? As long as we keep a sense of humour and not take ourselves too seriously, I think we can totter along, albeit, unsteadily.

Happy New Year Kaz !!!

I watched a movie last night called the Suffragette.

What a powerful movie and it just showed how far we have come.

However if there are women out there that feel with good reason as they are being unfairly treated then we have not come far enough.

Just as an aside, Australia was the second country to give Women the vote.

NZ in 1894 and us in 1902. Not bad considering that we only became a nation in 1901.

How said that the Traditional Owners were not treated the same way.

• Agree 1

I didn't see the movie but my ancestor was Elizabeth Fry née Gurney who was a suffragette in UK. She marched up and down outside Newgate prison protesting about the imprisonment of widows (with their children) because their husbands had died owing money.

Debbie, the Menu is at the top left of the page and you must have accessed this to write your first post in this thread. If you go back to this you will see a number of different forum categories you can use to post you various pieces of news, requests for technical,assistance, stories about you last flight and lots of others as well.

I spent Christmas last year at Primrose Sands and I'd love to fly myself back to Tassie so I could do a trip around the beautiful island, but I'm nervous about the Bass Strait crossing. I don't mind tiger country all that much, but sharks are not my favourite creatures.

Kaz

• Agree 1

Hi Kas If you decide to go to tas and looking for another plane to tag along , let me know, been to Devonport via King island ,also flown into Flinders for some fishing they were great trips. I am 10 mins from Shep so we should catch up

Greg

Hi Kas If you decide to go to tas and looking for another plane to tag along , let me know, been to Devonport via King island ,also flown into Flinders for some fishing they were great trips. I am 10 mins from Shep so we should catch upGreg

Will I have to slow down so you can keep up?

Did you do your swimming classes while you were away?

Was it the cold that brought you home?

Kaz