Pilot dies in light aircraft crash south of Townsville

A PILOT has been killed when his light plane crashed south of Townsville this morning.The ultralight aircraft crashed and caught fire around Jones Rd in Woodstock at about 6:45am.

The pilot, a man in his 60s, died on scene, paramedics said.

There was no one else on board the aircraft.

Fire crews were on scene to extinguish the fire.

It is not yet known what caused the pilot to crash.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/pilot-dies-in-light-aircraft-crash-south-of-townsville/story-fnihsrf2-1227627078556

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Peter Gibson from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority said the man was the only person on board the ultralight."The aircraft was just taking off, it's had some difficulties and tried to turn back to the airstrip and hasn't made it," he said.

"It crashed into a wooded area quite close to the airstrip at Woodstock."

• Informative 1

Was a lightwing ,can we all please wait until an official release is made in respect of the families thanks

No one is going into details and no one is making presumptions on what happened. So I am not sure on the need for that comment.

I already know who was involved but I have not and will not post it untill it is in the public domain.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I am absolutely shocked and sadden by this news, I was just talking to him on Facebook yesterday...bugger .... my condolences to his family and friends...I was really looking forward to chatting with you again at next years Old Station flyin...RIP Ross..

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Grim outcome......... Ross ( Maj Millard) was very active and knowledgeable and I first met him face to face at the RAAus meeting at Lethbridge and I'm very glad I had the opportunity to do so. My thoughts to all who knew him well, at this time. We will miss his input into the organisation and be careful folks when you commit aviation. NONE of us are unaffected by the realities of the risks involved with flying. Ross was a careful aviator and experienced across a broad range of aviation.. Nev

• Agree 12
  • Caution 1

His name has been broadcasted via his face book friends. Details that i have been told via PM is he was conducting a test flight in a Lightwing that was being put back into service after being out of the air for some time. Engine problems after takeoff and a failed turn back to runway.

Like everyone i am shattered by this as Ross and I go back to when he was my skydive instructor at Wilton in 1976. We were both members of the Newcastle Sport Parachute Club jumping at Elderslie, Ross went back a bit earlier with them jumping at the Cessnock drop zone. We were both also involved with the early years of ultralighting with Ross moving to the USA around 1979. By coincidence we were both builders and pilots of the Canadian Lazair. Ross was also one of the first APF approved riggers. He readily gave his knowledge and skills when we were building hang gliders to make better harnesses. Ross seemed to have had so much time to give, last i saw him face to face was at the 50th anniversary of NSPC 5 years ago but stayed in contact ever since via several face book group pages and emails. He was still conversing with several APF board members regularly. How the hell he had time for the RAAus and his work has got me buggered.

While writing this i see that more posts are going up as this devastating news is spreading through our group. Needless to say a huge loss and so sad a day for us all.

Not alone into the sunset but into the company of those that have gone before him.

Blue Skies Black Death.