Pilot dies in light aircraft crash south of Townsville

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The last thing I would want at my funeral is people making out I'm a good bloke or saying nice things because it's the thing to do. What I know of Ross ( and it's not a lot, but he posted stuff to me, so that's something) I don't think he would want a lot of baloney If it was someone else, in these circumstances. I wonder what Ross would be saying . It's natural to want to know about flying accidents. It's not wise to make great assumptions early . At a funeral these days it often turns into a celebration of things achieved over a lifetime and a bit of the embarrassing with the good stuff.. In my view that's the way it should be. I hope it goes well. Nev

I don't mean this to be disrespectful in any way, and I sincerely apologise to anyone who thinks that it is.

I firmly believe that there is a time for all of us. I have been in at least 3 situations which could have been the end.

1. Back in my flying days, I had 3 pax with me on short final to rwy 35 at YMMB when I was caught with wind shear. The plane dropped suddenly and my pax went as white as the background screen on this forum. I hit full power and held it level till I had gained sufficient speed to climb. Not my time.

2. Involved in a car accident that spun my car 90deg, taking the front off it and totalling the other car. Not a scratch, barely dizzy. Not my time.

3 Passed out due to heart not pumping sufficient blood to my brain, got a pacemaker. Not my time.

Hard and all as it is to accept, I believe it was Ross's time, whether we like it or not. It just happened to be doing the thing he loved.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

The last thing I would want at my funeral is people making out I'm a good bloke or saying nice things because it's the thing to do. What I know of Ross ( and it's not a lot, but he posted stuff to me) He's not one for window dressing.. Nev

Is that meant for me?? cause I,m not trying to make Ross out to be anything,,,just a photo montiage to celebratethe life of a FRIEND as that is what he was to me ok.so if I,m doing anything wrong ,please tell me Nev.......cheers Bull aka Bully to some aka Scott Evans..

• Like 1

Is that meant for me?? cause I,m not trying to make Ross out to be anything,,,just a photo montiage to celebratethe life of a FRIEND as that is what he was to me ok.so if I,m doing anything wrong ,please tell me Nev.......cheers Bull aka Bully to some aka Scott Evans..

Mate your doing an awesome job, don't listen to the others.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Let me assure you, Bull that it isn't a condemnation of anyone. I wanted to get every image of him out from the start. It's there and available. He's dead and we can't change that, but the images are a record to be available to all . They certainly have had an effect on me, and I'm sure others too. I had modified part of the quote that you have the original of.. Nev

• Like 1

Let me assure you, Bull that it isn't a condemnation of anyone. I wanted to get every image of him out from the start. It's there and available. He's dead and we can't change that, but the images are a record to be available to all . They certainly have had an effect on me, and I'm sure others too. I had modified part of the quote that you have the original of.. Nev

No worries Nev , sorry to have miss read your post my apologies,I,m pretty computer stupid so I don't know how it,s looking ,,any hint,s?

You're doing OK. But obey your instincts. On posting images you are talking to one of the worst on this site, technically speaking, when you ask me, but believe me. I'm right behind the idea.. It's a POSITIVE thing and we have to try to be positive. A little while back I lost a particular friend but over the years there were quite a few others and I was ready to chuck it in. . I always push safety. Nev

• Agree 1

You're doing OK. But obey your instincts. On posting images you are talking to one of the worst on this site, technically speaking, when you ask me, but believe me. I'm right behind the idea.. It's a POSITIVE thing and we have to try to be positive. A little while back I lost a particular friend but over the years there were quite a few others and I was ready to chuck it in. . I always push safety. Nev

Unfortunatly so did Ross, that's what makes it harder to believe, for me at least. I would not have flown my loehle without his guidance and advice.Anyway long drive in morning so I,ll retire for tonight ,thanks for replying and I,ll see how it goes cheers ,scott.

• Agree 1

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,

I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue

I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace

Where never lark, or even eagle flew -

And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod

The high untrespassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Vale Ross

"High Flight" John Gillespie Magee

• Like 7
  • Winner 3

Ross's funeral was held yesterday in Townsville. It was standing room only, and I was so pleased to see the President and the CEO there to pay their respects. A statement in itself of how much of a 'contributor' to our

sport Rossco was.

Surveying the accident site, talking to the witnesses, and seeing other evidence, I am quite sure the RAA will be able to provide us with some compelling feedback to the cause of the accident. Maybe not the engine failure itself however.

I wish I had been able to visit this little airfield in better times. Its a fantastic little flying community there, all with the same 'addiction' to flying, much of it grass roots too. It was so refreshing to see, and very reminiscent of the early days of our Organization. I can fully understand why Ross spent so much time at this little strip, helping people out, doing maintenance, giving advice, flying, and no doubt being the sh!t stirrer that he was. There are some bloody nice people, hurting like christ up there at the moment and my heart goes out to them all.

• Like 19
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 2

I've just returned from holiday and caught up with sad loss of Rosco. I'm still in a state of shock after spending 2hrs reading all the posts.

Being a safety-conscious pilot with tons of experience, it's probably one of the least expected things to have to read about.

One thing is for sure, we would have all benefitted to some extent, from his knowledge which he so freely gave to help others.

Rest in peace mate.

• Like 1

This morning i had to race off to meet a delivery guy. Slipped on a pair of shorts and was doing up the belt and realized it was made by Ross just a month over 40 years ago. Made from parachute harness webbing with the buckle that was developed for the Martin Baker ejection seat. This has served me well over all those years, pants have never fallen down. Surprise is it still fits though not much excess left these days. Almost had to replace the webbing a few years ago due to a muffin addiction but have trimmed back on them. Nice feeling to have a bit of old mate with me on most days. 984004119_2015-12-08_16-17-24_901(3).jpg.9db103f392766d4a941cf894ef0a5e0b.jpg

This is not to do with Ross but I hope you don't mind me posting.

I have lost quite a number of mates in aviation accidents, But the one that really stands out was back in 2002.

This was the accident that hit me hard. http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/08/05/1028157910074.html

Same age as me at the time and one of the nicest girls you could ever meet and an awesome girl to call a mate.

We are all mourning Ross but it does get easier over time so hang in there guys.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 2

I am gutted to read this after being off the forum for awhile. Ross was always a mentor to me, though he never knew it... i knew he was a man and an aviator to be looked up to from his posts, and this saddens me greatly to hear. Take care friends.

• Like 3

Yes she was a great girl and sadly missed :(They now have a street on the airport named after her. I had lunch with her a few days before the accident.

Its greats to see that named a street after the young lady.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

?temp_hash=899e7dee2e404fd5e8e038ba9af25a94

FRANK Sinatra’s Come Fly With Me played as mourners remembered the generosity and kindness of Townsville pilot Ross Millard, and paid tribute to his love of aviation.

Mr Millard, 64, died on November 29 at Ace Aviation’s airfield at Woodstock when a test flight turned to tragedy and his light plane nosedived into scrub near the runway.

Mourners packed Woongarra Crematorium chapel during Mr Millard’s funeral yesterday, with extra chairs outside still not enough to seat the entire crowd.

An aviation theme ran through the memorial, with Come Fly With Me played as the entrance song, while jokes about Mr Millard holding flight lessons in heaven featured among the tributes.

Civil celebrant Amanda Medill spoke of Mr Millard’s kindness, his determination and his passion for aviation.

“He was a real character, a good guy and a wonderful partner and father and his enthusiasm for life was contagious,” she said.

“His generosity of spirit and mateship was obvious to all that he met. He could be described as stubborn, extremely intelligent and a very supportive provider for his family.”

Ms Medill said Mr Millard had left a legacy of kindness, commitment and respect.

“Missed will be his tropical T-shirts, his most up-to-date, trendy sunglasses, his companionship and his presence,” she said.

“His little dog Millie will also be missing her master.

“She is still pining for him to come home.”

Mr Millard’s 45-year aviation history included service with the Royal Australian Air Force, work as a maintenance engineer and his role as the North Queensland board member of Recreational Aviation Australia.

Mourners heard that a job with the Singer Sewing Centre in his younger days stood Mr Millard in good stead, providing him with sewing skills that helped him first in working with the RAAF, making parachutes, and later working for a costume designer in the UK, where he met his partner.

Mr Millard completed about 2000 skydiving jumps and had a lucky escape in a 1974 crash in the Northern Territory, when two people died after a plane suffered an engine failure.

Mr Millard leaves behind his partner of 35 years, Deb, and daughter Kelly

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/news/aviators-passion-remembered-by-mourners/story-fnjfzs4b-1227637152700

image.jpeg.6ca52bbe31659008d37c7bc491b224ee.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Informative 2