Pilot dies in light aircraft crash south of Townsville

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In all the years I`ve been flying, I have never seen so many people respond as they have to Ross.....Ross lives on, in the heart of those who keep him in their thoughts.

Frank.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

For once a media outlet actually writes a respectful article.

New

In a town of over 80000 people ,He did well . Not just a little paragraph in the funerals section, but a third of a page on the 4th page of the local rag to say goodbye,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,He was well known and respected Robbo and I think he would be very happy with the send off..........................

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

I am scared to ask what the hell is he doing with that piece of wood !!

The Maj being a qualified LAME/L2 and with the cowling off, I'd say he was using that special tool to adjust carb balance or perhaps ignition timing?

• Haha 3

I am scared to ask what the hell is he doing with that piece of wood !!

That is Rotax's big secret.

Seeing as it is only the internet I could probably let the cat out of the bag.

The way to increase engine reliability is to threaten it with a big stick before each flight, actually if you use a big enough stick during the wear in period you can get a long term result and then it only requires you to cart around your calibrated fuel dipstick for satisfactory performance.

Also this is related to the difference between 2 and 4 strokes. It is a common misconception that their differences are related to mechanical differences when in reality it is how many clouts are given before each flight through the run in period. Which is actually the real reason that two strokes don't have the same reliability.

Ps that is tongue in cheek with no offence meant to any, also I don't condone violence towards any engine.

Those are certainly pics of good times Frank

• Agree 1
  • Haha 3

In all the years I`ve been flying, I have never seen so many people respond as they have to Ross.....Ross lives on, in the heart of those who keep him in their thoughts.Frank.

Yes Frank He was special in his own way cheerful and friendly too all our Ross and the little bugger got around our big country in his drifter & Lightwing over the years !

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...
My favourite aviation novel is "Fate is the Hunter", by Ernest K. Gann. In this memoir of the early days of transcontinental and then intercontinental aviation , his message was that many of his colleagues, highly talented aviators, had died tragically as a result of factors beyond their control. Our passion with flying is both majestic and fateful and we accept the risk for the magnificent obsession it is. RIP and we salute you Ross Millard. But for the sake of unknowable fortune we may join you. Don

thanks for the tip; I got Gann's book on kindle, only $11, and it's great, beautifully written and v enjoyable to read.

• Agree 2

• 1 year later...

Well just to prove that I live under a rock, I have been in the middle of the NT for the last near 2 years, and not much internet, it saddens me great to only just have learned of Ross's passing I had talked him a few times on varied matters.

I hope you still have blue skys and calm winds RIP Ross

• Like 1

Well just to prove that I live under a rock, I have been in the middle of the NT for the last near 2 years, and not much internet, it saddens me great to only just have learned of Ross's passing I had talked him a few times on varied matters.I hope you still have blue skys and calm winds RIP Ross

Yes Bones

A very sad loss with the passing of Ross

I met him in person about 3 years back while passing through Townsville and found him as a genuine nice bloke

Spoke to him many times after that on the phone

Sorry that you only just found out about his passing

• Agree 2

• 1 year later...

I apologise if this has been posted elsewhere, but I just came across the Coroner's report for this accident...released back in July 2018. Interesting to note that the Coroner is himself an RAA member and pilot and also holds a PPL.

Coroner's findings into the death of Ross Millard

• Informative 2

This is a really good and thorough report and I believe accurate.

When I flew to Natfly with Ross in his GR Lightwing he stated during discussion of engine failure procedures that the GR would turn on a dime in the event of engine failure and turning back would be high on the option list. In fact he pretty much described the manoeuvre the same way the witnesses did. I recall thinking not at this weight I hope as we were fairly loaded up with gear.

It struck me suddenly upon reading this...every pilot who has died in a light aircraft crash that I have known was flying someone else’s aeroplane.

RIP Ross.

• Informative 2