Pilot dies in light aircraft crash south of Townsville

I am deeply shocked and saddened by this news. My condolences to his family and friends.

Whilst I never met Ross, I valued his posts here as Maj Millard and as a new pilot, I quickly became aware of how experienced and passionate he was and I learned a great deal from his wisdom and expertise. It is a great and tragic loss to the aviation community.

It does make one realise that since this happened to such an experienced and safety conscious pilot, it can happen to anyone. We should not become complacent and each time at least think about such eventualities and practice and refine our skills to the best of our abilities.

My immediate reaction was to consider giving up the sport as my experience level is nowhere near close to that of Ross and others who lost their lives to this sport. However after giving it a lot of thought, I have resolved to continue flying albeit hopefully with a different perspective and better respect for things that could go wrong and the possible consequences.

This incident in particular has caused me to think more deeply about how I can fly safer. For example I must admit I haven't thought too much about an EFATO despite my instructor drumming it into my head during training, and I have resolved to plan for it each time and be better prepared. Whilst I do practice PFLs, stalls, and steep turns on a semi regular basis, it has been quite a while since I did a glide approach.

Risks are there every time we fly and we need to manage these risks. We can't eliminate all risks so we should plan to mitigate or reduce them as best we can, whether it be for engine or structural or equipment failures, situational awareness, weather, or human factors (including poor planning).

Fly safe and have fun.

Eric

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eric,

We are human and all prone to mistakes no matter how much experience some have, if he made the turn this thread wouldn't be up and Ross no doubt would have posted the successful turn back he made after having what ever problem it was, but unfortunately we are reading this and cannot change the outcome of his loss but we can try and learn from it, many have died in the past and many more in years to come may do the same.

It should be a lesson for us all after this accident that below a certain height for a positive recovery just to do what your instructor probably drilled in to you and fly as far in to the crash as you can within 30 degrees each side of the extended centreline as that is what I was taught

I am pleased you are going to continue flying as after this accident I thought for a split second that if it can happen to the experienced ones it can happen to any of us but I will continue flying as most of us will, I am acutely aware that my destiny is in my hands every time I leave the ground and hopefully my decision making is sound and I make the right call if ever there is a need for it in an emergency situation.

Only when it happens to you it will be you alone that controls the outcome at the end of the day

Note: as others have said we don't really know the real cause, I only know we lost a great ambassador to our sport and a generally great guy

Alf

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

I haven't been online for a few days and just came across this thread. To say I feels sick is a understatement. I never met Maj personally but he was always willing to share his knowledge. What a tragic day in our small community.

RIP MATE.

• Agree 1

Flying ( as we do it and generally) certainly has it's hazards. The statistics are out there to prove it. In many situations like driving on the road or swimming in shark/crocodile infested waters, and so on the survival is up to other factors. In flying it is YOU, your plane and the external elements and YOU control most of them. You train properly. You look after your plane and if the weather isn't that good you stay on the ground. You learn from others if you are smart. There are very few hobbies where one mistake has such consequences as it does in flying at a critical point. Thinking accidents only happen to other people is a cop out and a denial of reality, but being the most safety conscious person on the aerodrome isn't sissy. The two things I worry about most are structural failure and in flight fire. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Winner 1

Flying ( as we do it and generally) certainly has it's hazards. The statistics are out there to prove it. In many situations like driving on the road swimming in shark/crocadile infested waters, and so on the survival is up to other factors. In flying it is you, your plane and the external elements and YOU control most of them. You train properly. You look after your plane and if the weather isn't that good you stay on the ground. You learn from others if you are smart. There are very few hobbies where one mistake has such consequences as in flying at a critical point. Thinking accidents only happen to other people is a cop out and a denial of reality, but being the most safety conscious person on the aerodrome isn't sissy. The two things I worry about most are structural failure and in flight fire. Nev

...and I would add, a mid-air collision. These three factors concern me the most.

• Agree 2

I was going to add that, but it was certainly after the others. Losing control of the plane isn't in there as a fear. (3 axis) I've been lucky (and persistent) in having been exposed to some extreme flying situations and good training that just doesn't drop in your lap. You have to pursue it, do it, analyse it and make sure it is soundly based, and never stop learning. When you think you don't need to know any more you are at risk of becoming dangerous.. Fly within your envelope if you can, but develop extra skills, over time. Don't just do the same things over and over. Make your recurrent checks something more than just a formality and get the instructor to show you something extra. Find one who is what you want in that respect. Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

I recall vividly the accident posted on You tube showing a Beechcraft light twin. He tried to correct an overshoot of the centreline by applying rudder. My strip has a hanger to the r/h side of the strip. I noticed that on final sometimes the ball was skewed to the right. I have since rationalised that this was because I was attempting the same manoeuvre. I now know that it is alright to fly a ? shaped approach if there is sufficient room to stabilise the approach. Otherwise , go around. Just saying. Don

• Agree 1

Does anybody know which way he was taking off?

He was taking off to the north evidently,or so I,ve been told, which on that photo is towards the small cross strip.which I have taken off many times in the same lightwing I think it used to be owned or leased by Pat Magrah [not sure how to spell his name]I did my first 10 hours dual here with him,and the north has a few options and just out of the photo to the north is cane fields,,,,So to it seems strange to me that he would have tried the turn back,,,might have had too much angle of attack when the donk stopped and as this lightwing has a speed wing it stalls quicker than the lightwing that Ross has flown for years.cause being just to side of the strip this aircraft could have caught him out and just stalled maybe ???My comments earlier about the gum trees that used to scare me is taking off to the south!

• Informative 3

That Lightwing came from Childers and Pat McGrath bought it. I fly a similar Lightwing and they do stall different / faster than the GR models for that reason I climb out at least 65 knots for the first 300 ft on take off. I hope we find out what happened.

• Informative 3

That Lightwing came from Childers and Pat McGrath bought it. I fly a similar Lightwing and they do stall different / faster than the GR models for that reason I climb out at least 65 knots for the first 300 ft on take off. I hope we find out what happened.

I agree when I was training with pat it was65kt on climb out or 60 sometimes but never under that as you say ,they do stall differently then Ross,s one. Pat McGrath was my instructor for my first ten hrs in that aircraft and it was called ''princess'' Gives me a weird feeling in the stomach to know it was that plane that took Ross from us,

You will never know. How the brain works is a strange thing and in this area is worth immense study. Recent inputs have a weighted importance. What you have been doing or learned is more important because of it's recency, whether it is the most appropriate action or not.. Essentially what you did last week isn't as important as what you are now doing or trying to finish. Nev

• Agree 2

As has been noted on here already, the similarity of this accident with the one Ross survived - though badly injured - in 1974 is spooky. Here, attached, is a pdf of the official report which Ross sent me last year.

MILLARD 1974 crash.pdf

MILLARD 1974 crash.pdf

MILLARD 1974 crash.pdf

• Agree 2
  • Informative 4

Initially i was in total shock and its taken me till now to find words worthy of Maj. Maj has been a great source of guidance and stability for me in my early piloting years as has Nev (dont do anything silly Nev and several others on here)..

I think many here have been absolutely blessed by the advice of many elder members on here, with their cool heads, years of wisdom and the experience they bring from misses and near misses ... we laugh and rib each other , and many of our political opinions and others vary greatly, but at the end of the day we respect each other as people and pilots, even when we don't agree and sometimes when we totally disagree...

Maj you will be sadly sadly missed by me and many others. As with all people who are passionate and active contributors, you will have made many people happy and lots pissed off ...but that's just part and parcel of getting up to your elbows in anything...

I can only speak for me and I take my hat off to you and your contribution to aviation....

I hope your family and friends find comfort in the fact that you passed doing what you love, you lived every day doing what you loved, despite the risks...

RIP buddy (im not sure i earned the right to call him that, but my intentions are honourable) , you will not be forgotten... thanks for your service to aviation and thanks for your massive contribution to the rec flying forum and tot he amny many new pilots and aircraft owners you have helped , encouraged and been like a guiding father to..

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 3

A shot of Starke Field posted here by Ross himself just a couple of months ago.

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/guess-the-airstrip.151/page-34

Golly By that photo the general circuit area is a lot of big prickles it doesn,t look to friendy for any testing out of there ,you would need a post at the end of the strip to run engine at full power for 10 mins before taking off . Just a dumb question which way does the strip run and where was the sun been taking off that time of morning .

Sorry that this is unrelated, but it's a "just in case".

A few minutes ago I noticed a "funny" on one of the posts above. I thought "what insensitive prick thought that post was funny?" - only to find out it was me.

I use a touch screen and my fat fingers must have hit the "funny" instead of the "agree". I've noticed this happens a bit and immediately undo them... not sure if you get advised if they change within a few seconds, but if you ever get a "Marty_d gave you a funny..." and it was a serious post, please forgive the diameter of my digits.

Again... sorry this is off topic - but I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was disrespecting your messages about Ross.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Now I've seen that photo of the strip it makes me wonder even more why he turned back.

Could be as simple as a partial failure and a split second call to get it back rather than put it down. Sadly as Nev said, unlikely to ever know.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

From that location of accident ,it looks to me more and more that the aircraft has stalled in climb and fell to the right ,rather than an attempt to turn back. Might have been trying for the cross strip,i guess we will never know. Was a pleasure to know you Ross,and the world has been made a better place by your presence,,blue skies mate and RIP.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

Dear God, that doesn't make any sense at all.

I agree 100% with you David, it makes no sense at all with all that clear area in front of him, Idid not like training there with all the tiger country around the strip.

• Agree 1