Why does aviation still use imperial system?

RDavies

Cripes OME, that's a thirsty bike!

45 cubic inches of fuel/air squeezed in a 5:1 ratio, doesn't give much energy to push 250 kgs of dead weight loaded with 120 kgs of dead head.

I think my consumption rate is adversely affected by traffic lights - stop; wait idling for three or four minutes, then accelerate to cruise speed, only to have to repeat the performance 500 metres further along the road.

OME

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is most amusing to see young macho types amazed when I explain how to start my bike. They are even more amazed that I can advance/retard the spark at will by the twist of my wrist. I laugh at them when they say they couldn't manage the foot clutch/hand change gear system. And let's not mention using the choke lever.

I just let them jump on their Japanese crotch rockets and watch them whine off into oblivion. I'd like to see if their bikes are still running along happily after 73 years.

OME

Torquey low-revving engines allow you time for such distractions, OME. Even with damaged controls, my Ducati could take me and lady passenger plus mobs of luggage on long night trips in rain, fog and sleet.

After gear lever broke off at Oran Park: reached down with shifter to change up, then stayed in 5th.

After throttle drum broke: mounted choke lever with throttle cable. Operated by right thumb, it worked fine for months.