The Ross (Major) Millard Memorial Award

old man emu

I disagree with you. (In reply to Admin)

They didn't die to allow others to fly on at all.

They died.

That others learned from their mistakes or misfortunes and/or things then changed to ensure others didn't suffer the same fates is not a result of sacrifice.

A sacrifice would be if a pilot went out and deliberately demonstrated a circumstance knowing it could kill them and did so specifically to create that learning and/or change in operations.

If this was news media, to describe it as you have would be called sensationalism.

Words are powerful things. They should not be misused.

Sure, hold off and set up an award. Debate who is deserving until the cows come home.

But I object to misdescription - my 2c.

• Agree 6

This week has left me with many more questions than answers. Reading through this thread and the division of opinion expressed I have one more question. Was Ross the often controversial Professor Avius of the Sport Pilot magazine articles?

• Like 1

This week has left me with many more questions than answers. Reading through this thread and the division of opinion expressed I have one more question. Was Ross the often controversial Professor Avius of the Sport Pilot magazine articles?

You know, I was wondering that myself. Does anyone know the underlying identity of Professor Avius?

...or will it be it like the Stig which took many years to unmask?

• Like 1

One can guess who Avius was and it would be interesting to know but not important in the big scheme of things. The idea might have been OK but it didn't run (in my view). Can't blame people for trying. Nev