New Savannah owner

Traveldoc

Hello Savannah people

Just finishing my RAAus cert and just bought a Savannah VG to fly off my farm at Oberon NSW. No doubt I have a big learning curve ahead and I'm hoping this usergroup will have some answers and advice when I need them.

I'll keep the machine at flying school until practised and confident enough for landing on my own grass airstrip. Might be a while as I'm a pretty cautious individual.

First question: How high does hangar need to be. I have some shed framing about 4m high in centre of gable. Maybe I can shorten the walls somewhat and make it stronger and less wind-exposed.

Cheers Steve

• Like 3

You don't need 4m to fit a Savannah, but it makes a more useful shed of it. Mine has two tractors, a round hay baler and a spray rig in it as well, so make it a useful height. Mine is 4.5m eave height and 3.9m through the side roller door and about 4.3m at the sliding doors on the gable. One or more whirly birds have blown off it three times now (buy the dear ones!), but the shed hasn't looked like blowing away. It is positioned with a solid sheeted wall towards the prevailing south westerly of the nasty storms, I think that is important.

Hi Steve. The dimensions for the Savannah S show around 2.6metres tail height. I guess that goes up a bit as the wheels get bigger. And I know this, because I'm having to build the shed before I can build the plane. Which seems to be the story of my life, but I cling to the idea that there is a correlation between the pleasure of achievement and the difficulty of achieving. Or something.

In the meantime, endless knowledge and enthusiasm here. Go well.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Shed frame is only 12 X 7m. Being on top of great divide at 1150m elevation we get some very strong westerly winds on occasion. Thinking that smaller frontal area exposed to wind = better. I can shorten the overall shed height to about 3m easily and use the left over steel for more strength.

No problem with council approval as its a "farm shed". And airstrip is a manicured cow pasture. The windsock?......needed for spraying operations.

And thanks for the advice. Comment about bigger wheels especially as I had forgotten that!

• Like 1

I'm a novice, Steve. There may be all sorts of good maintenance or practical reasons for having a little extra height. Hopefully you'll get more info from some of the old hands here before cutting the legs off the shed.

Farm sheds just have to be under 200 sq m up here, or you need a development application. Check that with your council because our council has just started an amnesty to sort out a rash of unapproved developments. My hangar was built 16m x 12.5 outside the frame, but the measure is the internal so they apparently measure the inside of the post frames so it comes back to 16m x 12m, 192 sq m.

Hello Savannah peopleJust finishing my RAAus cert and just bought a Savannah VG to fly off my farm at Oberon NSW. No doubt I have a big learning curve ahead and I'm hoping this usergroup will have some answers and advice when I need them.

I'll keep the machine at flying school until practised and confident enough for landing on my own grass airstrip. Might be a while as I'm a pretty cautious individual.

First question: How high does hangar need to be. I have some shed framing about 4m high in centre of gable. Maybe I can shorten the walls somewhat and make it stronger and less wind-exposed.

Cheers Steve

Great stuff, Traveldoc. 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

IMG_2681.jpg.8e229f43cd0dad26c3664fa0d5955a81.jpg

One or more whirly birds have blown off it three times now (buy the dear ones!), but the shed hasn't looked like blowing away.

Well I have 4 of the expensive whirlybirds..they didnt blow off 3 weeks ago but the spun that fast they crushed themselves and tried to spin out of their bearings...all 4 whirlys on my hangar are the same

Instead of whirlybird ventilators, which become noisier the older they become, you could try a thinking cap ventilator. I installed a few in New South Wales in the late 1980s and I understand they are still working today.

http://www.ipaustralia.com.au/applicant/thinking-cap-ventilation-systems-pty-ltd/designs/198500931/

because I'm having to build the shed before I can build the plane.

"..because I'm having to build the Sewing Room for the Missus before I can build the plane".

Geez no wonder you Blokes get into strife.

"..because I'm having to build the Sewing Room for the Missus before I can build the plane".Geez no wonder you Blokes get into strife.

No go these blokes. I built mine in Mum's lounge room as I have said before.

[ATTACH=full]39749[/ATTACH]Well I have 4 of the expensive whirlybirds..they didnt blow off 3 weeks ago but the spun that fast they crushed themselves and tried to spin out of their bearings...all 4 whirlys on my hangar are the same

Mine are the same as yours Mark. The expensive ones I referred to have a square profile head and were $473 each for the 450mm size I used three of. Mine were coming of the roof flanges and bouncing around the paddock. Latest one came apart where the black plastic frame bolts to the swivel base. I don't remember other (300mm) ones I have use in the past having plastic frames. They have panel beaten successfully so far but a couple have needed to be stripped down and straighten the aluminium axle up the middle depending how they landed. Old angle of arrival argument again, they land better when the wind is stronger.

Nice implement shed, Mark.

As for the whirlybirds, as you call 'em: there is a rising tide of stuff out there which looks like something but doesn't actually function like that something. Or in your case: mankind has been making whirlybirds for, oh, probably more than a century. In all that time, every time the wind blew hard, most of them didn't blow away and didn't change shape either. But now they do.

I'm guessing this is an unfortunate side-effect of the wonders of modern tooling: anyone can easily set up to make just about anything, and increasingly that is done without any understanding of what is being made.

Somewhere out there, there are whole container loads of whirlybirds that aren't.

We just have to hope they don't make a start on aircraft parts?

• Agree 3

My new machine (at Broken Hill?)Delivery was interrupted by adverse wind. 35kt on the nose. Try again soon.

Next question:

Where can I buy Mr Funnel large. $125 on eBay.

Steve[ATTACH=full]39761[/ATTACH]

A nice looking plane Steve. Considering it is a VG it looks close to new!

I had no dramas with the council with mine. It was put up as a "machinery shed" 270 sq m. The inspector asked why it had sliding hangar doors. I said to him well if you can lift a 15 mtr wide roller door dude you can call it that The shed needs to be lockable and I cant rely on power as we are on a SWER line for a motorised door. He accepted that explanation...knowing full well that it was going to be a hangar...oh sorry machinery shed

Mine will be minimalist in the extreme compared to your Taj Mahal

A big carport with 3 walls. No doors.

I'll put some kind of heavy duty motorcycle anchor chain set into ground for security.

And farm gates across the front to keep cattle out.

S

2011 built by an engineer. 250 hours spent in the desert! Wired by a LAME. 2-pack paint. Aera 500 GPS. ICOM 210 radio.(Does my enthusiasm show?)

S

Yes, it does show! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

...but I think you have every justification to be excited about your plane!