New theory on how planes fly.

half cup of rolled oats, add milk or water to soak when you first get upsprinkle with pumpkin & sunflower seeds, add diced dry fruit (I use pears)

top off with yoghurt

doesn't reduce the confusion, but it's a pleasing daily distraction from it...

Sounds like what I feed my rabbits. T h r e a d D r i f t027_buddies.gif.22de48aac5a25c8f7b0f586db41ef93a.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the NASA lady had a couple of things wrong. The Horten lift distribution actually has negative lift on the outer part of the wing which is why there is proverse yaw as you are reducing the amount of negative lift on the upgoing wing as you roll.

Far from being "tailless" the Horten wing has two tails - one on each wingtip with a relatively short moment arm. Likely you do better with conventional wing and tail layout where the tail can be smaller because of the longer moment arm.

I did get to sit in the Braunschweig SB-13 tailless glider in 1988 just before its first flight a few days later. It wasn't exactly a raging success which is why modern sailplanes look like they do and to the uninitiated, pretty much all the same.

• Like 1

I think the NASA lady had a couple of things wrong. The Horten lift distribution actually has negative lift on the outer part of the wing which is why there is proverse yaw as you are reducing the amount of negative lift on the upgoing wing as you roll.Far from being "tailless" the Horten wing has two tails - one on each wingtip with a relatively short moment arm. Likely you do better with conventional wing and tail layout where the tail can be smaller because of the longer moment arm.

I did get to sit in the Braunschweig SB-13 tailless glider in 1988 just before its first flight a few days later. It wasn't exactly a raging success which is why modern sailplanes look like they do and to the uninitiated, pretty much all the same.

G'Day Mike, these were the things I was thinking while watching, and I commented as much on the youtube page.

You can watch on the youtube page, and read comments by clicking on the youtube button bottom right of screen.

You still got your Salto?

Arthur Armour, (yes, Len's son)

G'Day Mike, these were the things I was thinking while watching, and I commented as much on the youtube page.You can watch on the youtube page, and read comments by clicking on the youtube button bottom right of screen.

You still got your Salto?

Arthur Armour, (yes, Len's son)

I thought that might be your father. I first met him around 1959 at the Causeway, flying control line models. He helped me out with machining parts a couple of times for which I was very grateful.

Just checked your comment on the Youtube video. I think you are right.

Sold the Salto in 1979, got a Mini Nimbus, sold that in 1984, bought an ASW20B, then sold that, got a Ventus C "a" fuselage I still own and had a Nimbus 3DM for a couple years . Also have a BD-4 for getting around.

Might be leaving for Perth in it later next week. The Ventus is in the process of mounting 2 AMT Titan turbines, fully retractable. Should be ready early in New Year.

Himat, thanks for linking to the Doug Maclean video.

In 1990 I built a couple of precision altimeters for RAAF ARDU. They read in one foot increments and had to be temperature stable. The RAAF was just getting the PC-9 and found conflicting data on position error on the airspeed system in the certification data provided to the FAA and the flight manual so decided to measure it themselves.

The idea was to have one altimeter in the back seat panel of the PC-9 and another on the ground and fly the aircraft over it at various airspeeds at something like 100 feet AGL while tracking it with a kinetheodolite to measure the actual height difference. By noting the readings as the aircraft flew over and knowing the real altitude and temperature the position error could be computed. This all actually worked although nowadays you just use GPS.

Most interesting was the sudden decrease in the ground altimeter reading as the aircraft passed overhead. Clearly the down wash exists!

• Like 1