Recreational aircraft with folding wings

scre80

Thanks Brett. Will take a look. Does it have a trailer?

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/aeropup-for-sale.139813/It's been for sale on this web site and in the RAA magazine.

It has an Aerovee engine and ironically the same engine I have bought and built for my new plane. I have about 75 hours on it now but in between trying to finalise and rego the new Sonex, throw in Christmas, I just don't have time to fly it.

-Brett

• Informative 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I have always kept it at the airport. Hangar costs for you could be worth looking into with folded wings. Share a spot with a big aircraft like a 172 or 182. Low wings would be no good to share with.

No, I have always kept it at the airport. Hangar costs for you could be worth looking into with folded wings. Share a spot with a big aircraft like a 172 or 182. Low wings would be no good to share with.

Thanks Brett, not is a position yet but may be soon. Cheers

Hi All,I am looking into purchasing my first aircraft, but as money will be tight, I would be looking for a recreational aircraft where it can be transported on a trailer and I can keep it in my garage, as I am only 10mins from the airfield, to keep costs down and avoid hanger fees.

I am wondering if anyone can advise of a suitable aircraft where it only requires 1 person to setup the aircraft from the trailer.

Some specifics of what I would like in the aircraft include

- cruise at 90knots

- endurance of 5 hours

- 2 seats but open to single seat

- rotex engine but open to others

- easy to fly for a beginner pilot.

Thanks

FOLDING WING OPTION

for the STOL CH 701

The folding wings option (FWO) allows the STOL CH 701’s wings to be folded back alongside the rear fuselage, providing added convenience for storing or towing the aircraft. To fold the wings, the four wing bolts must first be removed, and then the wing is turned upward 90� and folded back alongside the fuselage, pivoting on the folding wing ‘universal hinge’ attachment. The folding wing option does not change the wings’ attachment points, and thus does not weaken structural attachment points.

Approx. 88" wide (gear), 103" tall (tail), 245" long

one option

FOLDING WING OPTIONfor the STOL CH 701

The folding wings option (FWO) allows the STOL CH 701’s wings to be folded back alongside the rear fuselage, providing added convenience for storing or towing the aircraft. To fold the wings, the four wing bolts must first be removed, and then the wing is turned upward 90� and folded back alongside the fuselage, pivoting on the folding wing ‘universal hinge’ attachment. The folding wing option does not change the wings’ attachment points, and thus does not weaken structural attachment points.

one option[/quote zenith aircraft

]

Would be a good idea for someone that already had a CH701.

I can help but wonder however how these aircraft would go being transported via a trailer on the road. The tail is quite high and I expect would catch a lot of wind when on a trailer. I have noticed when transferring both my planes to the airport they catch enough wind as is and they are both tail draggers. With the added leverage of a nose wheel arrangement you'd want them tied down well. Perhaps a fully enclosed trailer would be more sensible. I think sharing a spot with a second plane would be a little difficult also however the hangarage space required would be significantly less no doubt.

Would be a good idea for someone that already had a CH701.I can help but wonder however how these aircraft would go being transported via a trailer on the road. The tail is quite high and I expect would catch a lot of wind when on a trailer. I have noticed when transferring both my planes to the airport they catch enough wind as is and they are both tail draggers. With the added leverage of a nose wheel arrangement you'd want them tied down well. Perhaps a fully enclosed trailer would be more sensible. I think sharing a spot with a second plane would be a little difficult also however the hangarage space required would be significantly less no doubt.

I don't know why you wouldn't use an enclosed trailer. Usually, it does duty as your hangar, so not much point to a flat top trailer.

I'm not sure how much height you could lose by going with a tail dragger version, but it may be an option to reduce the height.

Well if you were trailering a plane too and from an airport with a flat bed trailer I suspect you'd leave the aircraft in a shed at home for shelter. Lots of car trailers around but purpose building a specific aircraft trailer I image would be quite expensive. I know people do it but it would be a real tight squeeze to tie the nose wheel down. I imagine you'd have to shuffle under the mains if the trailer was to remain under the legal towing width.

I think having to tow an aircraft to the airport all the time would really take the fun out of it. Personally I couldn't image having a plane and not storing it somewhere at the field. Folding the wings is easy enough but add trailering and it turns into quite a mission for a local flight.

I had a little 95:10 with a good folding setup. It's trailer doubled as the hangar, I flew from a local turf farm. It was really well designed, the trailer was quite narrow and fully enclosed. the aircraft took about 8 minutes to rig/derig.

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/regretful-sale-95-10-the-mistress-with-trailer.113400/

My Drifter on the other hand lives in a trailer that doubles as the hangar (cost me about $2000 to build), but it takes about 40 min to rig/derig. Yes it is annoying, but I know my aircraft is safe in my back yard, and I can carry out any maintenance without having to go anywhere.

• Like 3

Explorer wings can fold. Cruise 100kts. Stall @600kg = 36kts. www.saplanes.co.za There is one under construction in Australia. A normal kit will be in the region of 18000 Euro including shipping to AUZ and a quick build kit will be about 24 000 Euro delivered in AUZ. Quick build consists of the wings that are built and rigged to the fuselage, controls installed and travels set. Luggage bay constructed and some other smaller jobs. Still complies with the 51% rule and saves you 300-350 hr's of work.

Here is the link to Steve's build

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/bushbaby-explorer-mk2.135145/

Surely you jest...I think there was 8 series....a really good well thought out spy drama series

We're currently watching Dexter. Will try and find Spooks for our next series. My username comes from a childhood nickname when I was dressed as a ghost for a horse riding competition 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

FOLDING WING OPTIONfor the STOL CH 701

one option

I looked into this. Unfortunately it involves a pipe going through the cockpit near the top of the windshield and extending out to rib 1 on each wing.

I'm considering designing a roof-rack mounted assembly that holds both wings, rotates them out and holds them in place for attachment. Bonus being, you can fill the tanks at the servo on the way to the field...