Flight Following - ping Nathan_Cornwell (or any other ATC)

Pearo

Until I read this thread here http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/raa-altitude-limitations.143984/page-4 where Nathan mention flight following, I had no idea this service existed in Australia, nor do I have any idea on how to use it.

So I am planning a flight to YWOL from Brisbane next year. I intend to fly to Coffs Harbour, then to Woolongong. Given I am not overly familiar with Sydney Airspace, I think flight following would be hugely beneficial to me. I have so many questions to ask about it though, like if I cant get clearance through Williamstown and have to divert west or via the coastal VFR route how does that affect flight following, and is it possible to obtain flight following in this case?

Seems such a good resource, perhaps underutilised or perhaps not promoted by Airservices due to ATC workload?

• Like 1

Hi Pearo, you've probably seen this already, but anyway :

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/wp-content/uploads/flight_following_fact_sheet.pdf

And yes, it'd be good to hear Nathan or other ATC folks expand on that.

But it'll only apply to those with transponders, of course.

By the way, as far as Williamtown goes, you need a clearance to use the VFR coastal route too.

But since you're GA I suppose for the most part it'd be available.

Otherwise - always for most RAAus types - it's the inland lane via Maitland, Dungog and Gloucester that's the go.

In good weather, though, it's a pretty flight.

Definitely plan for both routes ...in adition be aware the laneway is quiet low which presents to issues...early morning fog can be problematic and any decent wind from east or west will cause a lot of turbulance.

williamtown seems to often give clearance to fly higher due to turbulance...

• Haha 1

Hey Pearo, I'm ATC and my sector is out towards that part of the world so feel free to ask me any questions you would like. As for the flight following, it is a good resource that is under-utilised, I'm not too sure about the Sydney terminal controllers, but your chance of getting a flight following in all the other sectors is pretty high, it can be declined due workload, but I generally find it reduces workload, we still have to tell IFR aircraft about known VFR aircraft, but it is generally quite vague, as we don't really know what the VFR aircraft is going to do. Once you are on a flight following, we know quite well what you are doing and can give much better traffic information. It will also help facilitate your clearances through places like Coffs Harbour and Williamtown, as they will know you are coming and can plan you around their traffic. Just remember, make our lives easier and put a flight plan in the system, and when you request the flight following let the controller know you have submitted a plan.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Hey Pearo, I'm ATC and my sector is out towards that part of the world so feel free to ask me any questions you would like. As for the flight following, it is a good resource that is under-utilised, I'm not too sure about the Sydney terminal controllers, but your chance of getting a flight following in all the other sectors is pretty high, it can be declined due workload, but I generally find it reduces workload, we still have to tell IFR aircraft about known VFR aircraft, but it is generally quite vague, as we don't really know what the VFR aircraft is going to do. Once you are on a flight following, we know quite well what you are doing and can give much better traffic information. It will also help facilitate your clearances through places like Coffs Harbour and Williamtown, as they will know you are coming and can plan you around their traffic. Just remember, make our lives easier and put a flight plan in the system, and when you request the flight following let the controller know you have submitted a plan.

I was trained to always submit a flight plan and sartime , so thats what I will continue to do. About the only time I dont is short hops from Redcliffe to do scenics around Moreton or Glasshouse etc.

WRT to my flight to YWOL, I plan to stop at Coffs Harbour on the way, I am pretty happy with that leg. Its after Coffs that is all new territory to me.

So I guess the main question is, how to request flight following. Is it a simple as "Brisbane Centre, Alpha Bravo Charlie Cessna 182 Request Flight Following"? There is some mention of it in that brief as posted above, but it really does not cover much of the formal stuff. I will take a look at the AIP later and see if that mentions much on the topic.

Also, say I request flight following out of Coffs Harbour on 122.6 will I get passed onto the controller on 120.55 (At South West Rocks) or do you have to re-request flight following again on the new frequency?

Where does your area start Ian? I might do a day trip to Coffs Harbour next month and try out the service. I wouldn't mind contacting whoever will be handling it first though (or centre, not sure how that would work either), just so I can touch base first and let them know I am a flight following virgin!

Hi Pearo, I would initially open with "Brisbane centre, (callsign), request" and then when they acknowledge, just say ABC Cessna 182 (position, level) request flight following. They will then take you through it from there, but you will probably be asked to squawk ident, then they will find your flight plan which may take a minute or two then you will get the flight following.

All frequency transfers during the flight following will be handled by the controller, so don't change frequency without the controller telling you to, or hearing the phrase frequency change approved, or identification terminated. You will generally hear both these phrases at the same time. Also, don't change level or tracking without first requesting a traffic statement from the controller, ie abc request traffic for climb 7500. You will find most of the details in AIP under the topic surveillance information service.

My airspace runs west of Armidale Richmond up to f240. I wouldn't worry too much about contacting centre first, they are used to people on flight following and will probably help you out if they need too. If you start the flight following at Redcliffe, then the first controller you talk to on 125.7 will actually be an approach controller for Brisbane. However, just call them Brisbane centre.

• Like 1

+1 to what Ian said.

If you are ADS-B equipped you can also request flight following outside of the J-Curve (radar coverage), and provided you are flying a route and level that is likely to stay within ADS-B coverage you can get flight following pretty much anywhere.

• Like 1

Awesome, thanks for the info. Another question, if I am using flight following, once Williamtown control services are terminated, do I need to re-request or will the MIL controllers pass you back?

I might plan a day trip to Coffs in the near future and will make a point of using flight following. I have also never flown Class G->C->D (coffs) either, so good chance to have a go at that.

The aircraft I am flying is ADS-B equipped by the way.

I think we need an ATC sticky mega thread. I have so many questions!

You will have to re request the flight following once you leave the Williamtown controlled airspace, as the military control and civil controllers use different systems. I would suggest that once you go through Williamtown, continue coastal all the way to Wollongong, you will get a really nice view, particularly of Sydney. Just read the victor 1 procedures for Sydney in the ERSA, but coastal is a lot easier than the Bankstown lane of entry, especially if your not familiar with Sydney.

Going from g to c to d is pretty easy, you won't even really notice the transition from c to d, that's more something for the controller to worry about. Just don't forget on departure if your going from the control zone into controlled airspace Coffs tower will want a departure report.

ADSB makes everybody's job easier, and you can probably get a flight following all the way now, as low level there are some holes in the SSR coverage at low level on the way to Coffs.