Onex in South Aussie

Onex VH BHU took to the sky yesterday with test pilot Chris Kelly, and again early this morning with me at the controls. 3 years since ordering the kit!

Over controlled it enormously on take off, stick forces are so light it is amazing. Took it up to 3000 ft and ran it hard then eased back for some slow "approach speed" runs with 1 and the 2 stages of flap then some gentle turns, climbing and descending and straight and level, topped out at 120 knots IAS, 14 degrees OAT.

Landing view is different to say the least and just touched tail wheel before the mains.

Great machine, well balanced, will not need any trim tabs, flies with 2 fingers on the stick.

To say I'm delighted would be a huge understatement.

Peter

image.jpeg.3149b3c564835b35fb09d494df9faf1c.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Winner 9

Congratulations Peter!

What a terrific achievement to have both built and flown your own aircraft. I hope I can get the chance to see it when I am back in Oz in January.

Cheers,

Dave

Congratulations. It takes a lot to get that sense of achievement, and for it to fly nicely is even better. Ive never seen a Onex, but I would assume that it is a Sonex with greater performance.

image.jpeg.70b3e672f6096c96e81d4768ce05ec57.jpeg Hi Yenn, it is a single seater, roughly an 85 % scale of a Sonex. I am running the 80hp aerovee, so performance is modest. Tops out at around 120 knots, rated +6 -3, and if the first few flights are anything to go by it is going to be great fun to fly.

Cheers Peter

image.jpeg.606000c92d74ba9db13bcbb8b5d4c53a.jpeg

• Like 3

Sonex with a 3300 should do around 160-170 mph, whereas the Onex aerovee is only around 135mph. With the turbo option the performance at altitude would be pretty impressive but I am primarily interested in mucking around locally and the 80hp should be fun. I have made mine with the short wingspan, 18'10", which I am hoping will give me a fun roll rate,

Cheers Peter