EFB - iPad Air vs Mini

Dont know about the 128gb thats a lot of memory so your obviously using the mini for other things...Mine is just used for the aircraft 64gb is way too big now....16gb would have done easily...13inch mackbook air is my laptop...just a awesome machine...13 inch screen is the lowest I can go the eyes are not that good anymore. My mackbook air is a 256gb and I use a VM on it and it is just superb even does 3D cnc modelling software under the VM on win7 extremly fast...I do use Fusion Pro though for the VM

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dont know about the 128gb thats a lot of memory so your obviously using the mini for other things...Mine is just used for the aircraft 64gb is way too big now....16gb would have done easily...13inch mackbook air is my laptop...just a awesome machine...13 inch screen is the lowest I can go the eyes are not that good anymore. My mackbook air is a 256gb and I use a VM on it and it is just superb even does 3D cnc modelling software under the VM on win7 extremly fast...I do use Fusion Pro though for the VM

I have 16gb iPads, plenty enough for ozrunways.

I had a 13" MBA too, but I retired it and replaced it with an Asus Zenbook. Had to many performance problems with the MBA.

Nope iPad is for aircraft use only, doesent even leave the flight bag at home.

I use avplan and ozrunways so use about 50gig so like to have a cache buffer and I also have about 200 pdf documents.

I use the otterbox defender and made a little leg strap so the case stand is strapped to the leg and the ipad slips in the stand.

Paero my MBA has no such issues...it goes everywhere with me now so light and the battery lasts for a stupidly long time too...and it is very fast. It has never had any issues in the 18 months I have owned it on either OSX or Windoze on the VM

What vm are you using?

Pararells?

Hi everyone a little off topic but still relevant to IPad.

Currently the weather cameras are offline with OzRunways and they are working on getting them up and running again ASAP.

I spent ages looking at settings on my IPad and gave up, I then did what I should have done for any question and that is go to the source which was OzRunways direct and got a reply from Rowan who was most helpful.

Hope this helps others.

Cheers safe flying for 2016 to everyone

HmmmmI learnt something yesterday, big is not always best!!

Armed with the credit card I decided to go for a cruise and get some kfc for me and the girlfriend, ended up spending $4,000 bucks.

iPad Mini 4 Cellular 128GB

Two Go Pro Hero 4 Blacks

MacBook Air 11 inch

I never thought I would go near a ipad mini but after playing with one I said man this is bloody perfect!!

Even downgraded my 15" laptop to an 11" MacBook Air, wow big is not everything.

Mind you I got back to the girlfriend and relised I forgot the KFC !!!

Good work Robbo 4K spending is great for the economy

Don't worry about missing the KFC it is the festive season we can all do with a short dose of reduce the belt size at this time of the year

Safe flying 2016

• Like 1

I do have an issue with OzR on ipad mini, have raised with OzR team a few times

popup box for location weather and notams is way too small, around the size of 3.5" screen and text <2mm high, sure cant read too well in flight

On bigger ipads, even iPhones its much larger. Phone uses full screen to display.

- they dont see it as a problem but might review text size if it doesnt make it difficult to read??

8 hr flight Caloundra to Loxton yesterday.

I encountered a problem on Ozrunnways.

I reversed the flight plan, it gave correct heading and track but the eta showed the time and distance FROM the waypoint.

296 GPS was flawless.

In future I won't be reversing a flight plan, just enter a new one.

iPad 3 is what I am used to and won't be changing to a mini.

Phil.

I use a battery back up. People have posted elsewhere here that the charging circuit on Rotax & Jabiru can leave voltage spikes dangerous to iPad batteries - I personally don't know about this but avoid it anyway.

Interesting, Frank. I'd like to avoid those spikes, but a Lithium battery pack may be a fire risk.

Everything I have heard ( and I stress, I have NO personal experience to support / deny this) says that the regulator/rectifier combination for both Jabs. and Rotaxes is subject to voltage spikes; the safer option - I believe - is the CAMit alternator with a 'proper' regulator.

However, a LiFeP04 battery is by all reports, a way better option than a straight Li-On battery. Bruce Tuncks has lots of expertise and experience with these, and can probably give very good advice as to the suitable size for a self-contained back-up power supply for an iPad. Personally, our aircraft has a CAMit alternator and will have a LiFePo4 main battery ( in part, to compensate for the extra weight of the CAMit alternator..).

A fully self-contained back-up for the iPad seems attractive for several reasons: no necessity for a switch-mode iPad power supply that might generate RF into the radio, and if it all goes pear-shaped up there and one needs to cut the master switch, the iPad on a discrete power supply should keep on functioning just when you would REALLY want to be able to search for 'bug-out' airfields etc.

Being very much a 'belt-and-braces' type of person by nature, I am personally very attracted to running both OzRunways and the Xavion synthetic vision device ( http://xavion.com/ ) - once Xavion has Australian airfields available - on a completely independent power supply capable of 30 minutes of operation. If one sets up the electrics with a 'crowbar' safety arrangement (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowbar_(circuit) ) - which is a bloody good idea, given the fairly crude electrics in our class of aircraft vs. higher-end GA machines - then it'd be nice to have the back-up of the iPad with OzRunways or equivalent PLUS the Xavion instrument operating, especially if the engine is still operating under its self-powered condition.

Such a circumstance will ONLY happen if one is just in the middle of a patch of Tiger country in marginal conditions that one has entered having made the decision that it's not actually stupid to so do, just rather less than optimal... which of course we never think we will do, but we damn well do when the weather changes faster than we can fly around it. Murphy doesn't give us polite reminders, he waits until it's sh1t in a sandwich time...

I have a 16GB and its not enough... Its not loaded up and i store most things in the cloud...

Avmap is an incredibly memory heavy app, with its maps... i suggest you could get away with 16GB if you use your ipad for little else...but 32GB is optimum and 64GB great, anything more overkill , for most people...

But when it comes time to skimp and bork at Apples most expensive memory upgrades on earth...DONT... ipads last many years ...far longer than phones and you wont regret spending the extra $100 to get double the memory..

• Agree 2

Hi M61A1 Agree the ozrunway people advise that must be cellular to have the gps. I have room for the mini. (No room for full size.)

Should point out that although Ozrunways advise a cellular Mini, the WiFi only Mini DOES have a GPS chip.

The problems with a WiFi only device is that it takes longer to 'find' itself without the ability to cross reference it's cellular location.

The other problem is that if you do need outside information, you need to WiFi to your phone (tether), and doing the cellular downloading AND WiFi'ing the info to the Mini can really chew up battery life in the phone.

You also need to be with a decent provider to get your info, ie, not Vodaphone! (unless you can get a Telstra roaming plan).

I run a wifi only ipad mini 16GB (!^GB too small) with the Dual 150 GPS that i purchased as a backup GPS... i get my weather from Aldi mobile which I hot spot to my ipad , this uses the supposedly sub optimal Telstra. I get perfectly good GPS and wifi compared to my wife's Optus and my father's Telstra... in fact I find the age of your phone affects mobile reception far more than your carrier being Telstra or a company piggy backed by Telstra..

I have several backup batteries that i use they cost about $10 each and they work a treat for phones or ipads...

I agree my worst mobile reception ever everywhere was vodafail... followed by optus, who have improved significantly, but Aldi and Telstra are without a doubt fantastic using a modern phone.. I generally give my old phones to my father and find his reception is generally far worse than mine on the same network, simply because the new phones get reception from the old and new towers , where as the old phones are often incompatible with lots of the latest towers...

• Informative 1

Was just questioned about GPS in Wifi only iPad Mini's....

Interesting?, just went back to the Ozrunways site;

http://help.ozrunways.com/kb/getting-started/which-ipad-should-i-get

Upon closer reading it suggests as was said, no GPS in WiFi onlys?!

Had a dig into the Apple sites, which seems to suggest the same...

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-mini-2 (you need to open the tech section at bottom)

Did read a site somewhere that said the iPhones don't have a GPS, but I know my old iPhone4 has GPS, as I was running Ozrunways demo on it a couple of months back.

This is now a dilemma for me as I was going to get a WiFi Mini 2, and upload all required details from my computer before each flight, and if really needed other info, could tether to my iPhone to update.

My other problem is being with Vodaphone, so I don't get real good coverage.

I would change to Telstra, but they want nearly twice the price, just so I can get the last 10% of coverage that I miss with Vodaphone.

All starting to get expensive what with a cellular Mini, a sim contract and subscription to Ozrunways. 064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

For the amount of cross country flying I do, maybe I'll stick to my handheld GPS's and maps 'borrowed' from some of the local GA pilots...059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

IPhones have GPS

3G model ipads regardless of size or memory have gps

wifi only have no gps

to run a wifi only ipad you need a bluetooth external gps eg Dual 150 or 160.... I have the 150 and it works great... The 160 came out and had some bad reciews initially, not sure if firmware updates have fixed it...

The big advantage of getting the dual over a 3 g ipad is that you can then buy secondary or repoacemeent decices, take friends, loan it, etc and convert anymes device to gps...also you can buy a very cheap aldi tablet or similar for under 100 and use it as a backup device...

The big advantage of the 3 g model is you dont have to hotspot data from the phone, thus you can save some phone batttery , just in case.... Also when not flyng you have a 3 g tablet... But i domt go anywhere without my phone anyway...

The cost of the sim and data for the tablet is pretty expensive, given once your maps are downloaded at home or on free, land based wifi, you really dont need much data... When i was running data in my previous ipad i purchased the Telstra 12 GB and only used 2 GB in a year... Mainly because im always near wifi...and when im flying it hardly uses any data.... dad who is not as data heavy as I, but also not as data cluey or savy uses about 1 GB and then does something silly like downloading maps or doing updates while on 3g .... So in reality you dont need much data at all ...and if you have data on your phone that can be hotspoted then you domt need any..

The only data you really need is your naips, then for ozrunways or avplan to grab the CTA and weather updates...

These are tiny amounts of data if done in the apps... Its the map updates that use all the data...and you can avoid mishaps there by simply launching your ipad at home into avplan or ozrunways and it will run the updateds on wifi ...

After having data on my ipad and now none, i find it far more convienient and far better value to have all the data i want or need on a hotspot capable mobile... That way my phone is like carryng a computer and i dont have to lug my ipad around to take advantage of the unused data on it...

The other option is buy the 3 g ipad which has the gps in it, leave the sim out and then just hotspot the data.. No external gps required.

Also look at data share SIM options, can be as low as $5/mth and uses your phones data.

Caution with assumptions on vodaphone and Optus coverage, although improving its very poor in regional areas outside major towns. Maps and claims on websites dont mean much we found out in expensive experiment.

Also be aware Aldi and others on-selling Telstra access, Im not sure they have access to Next G network. They link to 3G system.

Next G (or 3.5G) is much better in regional areas and provides higher speeds and reliability away from towers......what you need when flying.

Maps and claims on websites dont mean much we found out in expensive experiment.

We have had an Optus tower in our town for over two years, which gives excellent coverage in our area.

When you go to purchase an Optus device from their agent in the next town (27km away) they warn us , that we have "no coverage out there " 064_contract.gif.1ea95a0dc120e40d40f07339d6933f90.gif

We did that for ~ 20+ handsets. Bill went down for sure as no one had much access and constant dropouts even on outskirts of town.

Anyone who really needed mobile service were cancelled and moved back to telstra Next G

Also be aware Aldi and others on-selling Telstra access, Im not sure they have access to Next G network. They link to 3G system.

Clarifying this, Aldi and others has access to a portion of Next G network.

Reads well being just 1-2% of population below Telstra's however thats a BIG difference in Km2 covered. Old data says Telstra Next G covered 2.3 Mill km2, resellers just 1.3 Mill km2

Xavion looks interesting, airport list includes info on lots of Aus Airfields.... Dafif data?? whatever that includes

DAFIF was last released in 2007. So any changes since then will not be reflected in Xavion.