EFB - iPad Air vs Mini

I am wondering if an itunes backup would save the app along with everything in the app?Then you can just sync the new ipad, I never connect the ipad to the pc so im not sure if its possible.

I agree with this but the whole pad will be duplicated but that may not be what is being sought.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brain fart.........how about oz runway setup "my account" that "I" can store my information there, and retrieve it when required. ( ie....another devise )

I would do a sync on iTunes first. That should copy the whole iPad. You can restore the info to your new one. I have just done it to my new iPhone and had to reinstall all the maps but all of the plans and waypoints attached to the plans came across.

I noted that it copied the maps from the iPad to the phone connected via the same wifi point. I thought that was quite smart.

Yep, understand. So either try the sync idea via iTunes or go to OzRunways, settings, user waypoints and all of the waypoints will be listed. In the top RH corner select export, then an email window will open for you to email the file to yourself. Then import the file into the new copy of OzR.

• Agree 1

Brain fart.........how about oz runway setup "my account" that "I" can store my information there, and retrieve it when required. ( ie....another devise )

Interesting. Do you think the waypoints will come across?

Interesting. Do you think the waypoints will come across?

Maaate .....I'm no "IT" developer, but can't see why a pathway couldn't be setup

At which point did it stall? Could it be that it is struggling gathering all the information for the email or do you think there is an issue?

I only have about 20 waypoints and it gathers quite quickly into an email.

• Agree 1

Russ if you go into settings and scroll down to the user Data section and open up waypoints it will then show you all your waypoints with the option to export or delete up in the top right corner.

I clicked export and it opened up a new email with the ozrunrays waypoints as an attachment, I think if you email that to yourself and open it on the other iPad I think you will be able to open the attachment on the other iPad and they should all end up there:thumb up:

2nd brain fart.....ozrun setup a " master" ......we pilots load " our " waypoints into it, with comments etc, .....then any ozrun pilot can access the info, and cherry pick the waypoints there, into his/her own ipad

At which point did it stall? Could it be that it is struggling gathering all the information for the email or do you think there is an issue?I only have about 20 waypoints and it gathers quite quickly into an email.

Just could be the problem......too many waypoints ??

2nd brain fart.....ozrun setup a " master" ......we pilots load " our " waypoints into it, with comments etc, .....then any ozrun pilot can access the info, and cherry pick the waypoints there, into his/her own ipad

Wow - Too deep for me this time of night Russ!!

Russ if you go into settings and scroll down to the user Data section and open up waypoints it will then show you all your waypoints with the option to export or delete up in the top right corner.I clicked export and it opened up a new email with the ozrunrays waypoints as an attachment, I think if you email that to yourself and open it on the other iPad I think you will be able to open the attachment on the other iPad and they should all end up there:thumb up:

Yea.....did that......options were there, tapped on user waypoints ( too export ) then she stalled

Next step is to try the sync on iTunes then maybe ask OzR for assistance. They return email quite quickly from my experience. I had a runways issues showing on plans and it was fixed very quickly.

• 4 months later...

After using the ipad mini for a short time I have decided to go back to the full size in either the air 2 or the new 9.7" pro.

Nothing against the mini as they are good for small cockpit aircraft, however most of the stuff im in have glass cockpits and half the time I only glance at the ipad for weather and to cross reference the track.

I find a lot of people who have ipads on there yokes or mounted somewhere often get distracted from flying the aircraft, the aircraft has instruments so the iPad should only be used to cross reference, weather and airport charts. So half the time the ipad will be on the floor with an occasional glance.

Not having a gripe at anyone, just stating my preference :)

• 2 weeks later...

Now I am looking at going back to the mini..... Ahhhh I am torn.

Does anyone know of a good kneeboard, basically I don't want to use my otterbox defender case anymore as its to bulky so looking for a pouch where the iPad will slide into and be fully enclosed with a screen protector include in the case.

Like this but need the screen cover ASA iPad Mini Kneeboard - Item No: KB-IPM-1

Hi Robbo

Maybe get an aluminium holder made up to suit your mini. I made one for my samsung mini and it could be secured to any knee pad.

A new Nynja in the area One mod I have made since these images were taken is to releive the side aluminium to allow access to the mini's side press buttons on its top right side. The shock cord at the top holds it in good and allows easy removal.

Regards

Mike

I've had one of these kneeboards for many years. NAV-DATA LIGHTED KNEEBOARD from Aircraft Spruce

Cross country in an open cockpit Pitts (well, even one with a canopy if it is really cold - minus 15 is my limit) demands regular barrel rolls to keep warm so essential to keep maps etc secure.

My iPad Mini sits neatly on it, secured by rubber bands.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using a Bad Elf GPS Pro for a while with iPad Mini and OzRunways, it works very well and increase the battery duration on the iPad as I believe using the internal GPS of the iPad use a lot of battery.