Investigation underway into fatal plane crash

ABC fri 19.10

Air safety investigators may spend days in desert country in the West Australian Goldfields as they try to determine the cause of a fatal ligh plane crash.

The pilot of a Cessna died when the plane crashed on Wednesday evening on its way back to Kalgoorlie, after making a cargo delivery to Warburton.

Police say the remote location and rugged terrain hampered the recovery operation, and the body of the 25-year-old pilot was removed late yesterday.

The Air Transport Safety Bureau says it expects to face the same difficulties.

Keryn McCaulay from the bureau says investigators will not arrive to begin sifting through the wreckage until later today.

"We've dispatched already two of our investigators from Perth and one is actually travelling from Canberra," she said.

"It's a very very remote site as you know and they'll travel by chartered helicopter out to the site itself."

The Managing Director of Goldfields Air Services Geoff Horsley says the young pilot's death is a devastating loss for the man's family and the airline.

"Everyone's pretty close and pretty tight knit and so, yeah very, shocking...can't really put it into words actually. He was a pretty happy go lucky sort of a soul, he was pretty popular around the place and yeah look he was just a pretty nice young bloke."

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Methusala,

I think you'll find most members here are keen to keep abreast of anything from anywhere that contributes to aeronautical knowledge, procedures, incidents, developments and safety. It all goes toward a broader knowledgebase and leads to better airmanship in the end, one hopes. Not to mention it's just interesting for some of us ;).

Paul

BTW, just how old are you? With a name like that one wonders :;)4:.

Guest Fred Bear
I thought this was a forum devoted to RECREATIONAL aircraft. Why do we waste time re- broadcasting ABC news? Just a question, cheers, Don.

Don, without being rude probably because it is in the 'incidents and accidents' thread. The beauty about these forums is that anyone can sort through anything they want and choose what they want/don't want to read. Incidents/accidents can affect us all and it's good to know what's going on out there. That's all mate...

I like to read the Aus non RAAus incidents here and appreciate the effort spent in putting them up.

Can I suggest the problem is the descriptions which we could improve

Rather than

"Investigation underway into fatal plane crash"

maybe

"ATSB to investigating WA Goldfields Cessna fatal 17/10/07"

then those with no interest would not have to go into the thread to see just what it is.

I fly both GA and Recreational and I thought this forum was/is for both. I like to keep abreast of all incidents if I feel that they might help me out one day by arming me with knowledge.

Brent, although these forums have no connection to the RAAus they were setup for the RAAus members and therefore specifically for recreational aviation and to promote RAAus membership to all other flying communities. There are some GA only people here but I have noticed by those members that I delete every now and then for not logging in for some time are GA only people so they obviously tend to just come and go. Those that do stay I believe have become more aware of the benefits of flying in the RAAus arena which is a great thing for our organisation.

Ooops?

I like George Bennets idea. I have no desire to be a censor and I guess some people like reviewing spam but time is precious so perhaps it would be a help to indicate more clearly the content of a post. By the way Paul, don't believe all that you read. They are only humorous noms de plume. Regards to all, Don.

Guest disperse

If I fly a cessna 172 on the weekend just for fun.....is that not RECREATIONAL FLYING.......?

by the way......I don't. But I do enjoy storys/information on everything from a powered chute to the airbus 380.....

but I would say that at least 85-90% of the information here is Ra-aus

• 2 weeks later...

I fly both GA & RAA but I reckon the more info you can gather regarding any crash the safer we should all be. All GA pilots gat sent the Fight Safety mag and that contains content from light aircraft through to Airlines. All interesting reading. This forum is a fantastic source of info.

Cheers Phil