Aircraft without radios

Not sure CASA get the blame here. Probably ACMA. Australia imposes standards no radios meet, then has to give an exemption or no radio. Clowns.

Agree... ACMA are responsible for stuff like this.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the ACMA that does radio approvals and that sort of legislation...with some input from CASA ..CAR35 somewhere I think. And no handheld radios and most radios are TSO'd... any TSO'd radio starts like 5 grand like a Collins or Bendix King or Garmin aviation.

• Agree 1

This is the lates cuffel on the Icom A110 and A210 and also the A6...some stupid rule about time out timers and some CASA reg change suddenly stopped all airband Icoms from being able to be used. They hurredly bought out the IC-A15 under a special dispensation so major airports could have some comms on the ground

• Informative 1

You are correct there is only one handheld approved, but the reason has noting to do with safety, it is the usual CASA stupidity.Over the years there have been many radios advertised for sale in Australia, bought also, but it is only in the last year or so they have been declared not legal. I havn't heard of any accidents caused by an illegal radio. but some were contributed to by bad radio operation.

Not sure it is CASA issue. Radios need ACMA approval. I thought this was the problem.

Cheers

Chris

Its 80% ACMA with some 20% CASA issue with one of the CAR regs...Well that is what came direct from Icom....I have been a Icom dealer for 25 years....not now I sold my business a year ago and the new owners took over that dealership

Hi. JakeJ, I'm hopping you will change your mind & stay with us here, I and all members, (including cranky ones) have a need of you, as your input is far more important then any I could give.

If the ACMA, can give permission to a certain company, Why o Why do they threaten individuals with such dire consequences for getting caught with a "non-compliant radio",

The permit issued by the ACMA imposed conditions on Icom Aus, including that it: " warns users that the IC-A15 is non-compliant".

My HH radio was compliant, but putting it on a different battery system, ( 9v nimh pack) makes it non-compliant, & the ramp checkers will get me,

So big fines for having my radio, or being Legal without one. Even to walking on the field with it switched off is illegal. Am I right or wrong.

spacesailor

Don't understand your problem but I'm guessing it's part of the reason that the recreational flying industry has serious problems, caused by some with 'attitudes' that are detrimental to RA Aus.The good guys like Nev & Djacro etc., etc must be severlely shaking their heads too at times.

Me - I've just tried to give helpful considered input based on a lot of flying experience.

Due to some 'experiences' I've had & seen especially with what some factory certified aircraft owners are doing, I had decided to let my L2 & RA Aus licence & membership lapse - some of the mischevious crap (by a minority I might add) I read here makes me realise I just don't want to be involved, now I've realised my decision may have been justified, bye.

No more input from me on this forum, sorry Ian.

Hope I havent said anything that could have caused this. I enjoy your posts and if I have said anything you have taken offence to I apologise.

I have no experience with RA AUS as my background is in the GA, Corporate and Airline areas so my posts almost always refers to GA.

Apologies again...

aviate = pilot or fly in an aircraft.

USE YOUR EYES

navigate = plan and direct the course of a ship, aircraft, or other form of transport, especially by using instruments or maps

USE YOUR EYES

communicate = share or exchange information, news, or ideas.

DON'T OVER USE THE RADIO

This topic is doing my head in, I have had enough of it.... I am afraid I will have to agree to disagree with some posters here.

The rules, regs and advisories have been pointed out but people are still trying to dispute it even though its there in black and white and being backed up by experienced and career pilots.

This is my last post on the subject.

GOOD NIGHT !!

Picking on my spelling?Grrrr I hate typing on phones!

Don't fret mate,. . . .I type so fast that I often make the odd typo. . . I wrote " you're " instead of the lexographically correct "Your" ( in that particular instance ) and I was immediately responded to by the Grammar Police also,. . . ( no offence Scott ! ) with this rather amusing piccy. . . .

461210236_CATASSTROPHY.jpg.0ac61340bbe95c8e702623c647912b2a.jpg

Sometimes yer can't win mate !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Doubt it, lot of dodgy gear out there that is not even certified.You can get on ebay and buy a vhf radio and transmit on the regional police channels!

G/F got a recording of one of these idiots telling all the cops to get ...... and go .... Themselves.

Couple of interesting points there Robbo ( & Nev ) In the UK all comms gear in aviation has to be type approved, at the expense of the manufacturer / supply organization. Several types of handies were approved, as were some panel mounts, . . but I also know that soe pilots are using non approved models, which have not been thus approved.

The interesting thing about this is that I have ony ever heard about ONE ramp check involving a radio installation and this was more than 20 years ago at Filton airfield ( where some of the Concord development took place ) where a student had WX diverted from a cross country route in a C-150 and had the radio dsabled by officials because the operator had not paid it's licence fee. At a controlled airport this meant going home by road.

Whilst flying G.A., and all sorts of microlight / ultralight aaircraft, |I have not heard of "ramp checks" or even questions being asked of aircrew flying into or out of anywhere, military nor civil in the land. Perhaps there are insufficient personnel ? Or maybe the CAA don't percieve this to be much of a problem requiring action. . .

I know for a fact that there are many pilots who don't even bother taking the R/T licence test but use the radio anyway. . . I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for lack of the ticket either. Curious,. . .perhaps if a pilot sounds like he knows what he is doing and uses the correct, or close phraseology, then noone raises an eyebrow. In the summer, our National Microlight / Sport Frequency, 129.825 sounds like CB radio on a busy highway with all manner of inane chatter. . .. still, no action taken.

I am not saying that I applaud what these people do, just that it is a fact.

We'll have to start all over again soon with the conversion to 8.33 KHz channel spacing from January 2018. . . we'll see what happens during this small upheaval

Phil.

But Phil, With my luck lately im likely to get busted on the first day!

I guess that CASA or whatever devolved quango they use to police "Ramps" is sufficiently financed to allow personnel to be employed . . .or is this duty perhaps carried out as a secondary function by other airfield staff I wonder ?

( All clad in Hi-Viz jackets and hard hats I assume ? )

(**Sorry to appear dumb on this subject, but my last flight in Aus. was in late 1982. .. I never encountered the "ramp check" in the lexicon back then. . . )

I guess that CASA or whatever devolved quango they use to police "Ramps" is sufficiently financed to allow personnel to be employed . . .or is this duty perhaps carried out as a secondary function by other airfield staff I wonder ?( All clad in Hi-Viz jackets and hard hats I assume ? )

You might get a cranky avionics tech that dobs you in so he can get the business!

I was born around then 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Ooooh you lucky young whippersnapper you. . . .

The one and ONLY time I had any comms problem, was following a landing at YMEN in a borrowed C-172 late in 1974,. . . I got a bollocking in the office after shutting down / parking, by a controller who said that my radio sounded like I was talking through a "sweaty sock". . .but nobody asked to look at it. . !

( The radio - not the sock )

Ooooh you lucky young whippersnapper you. . . .The one and ONLY time I had any comms problem, was following a landing at YMEN in a borrowed C-172 late in 1974,. . . I got a bollocking after shutting down by a controller who said that my radio sounded like I was talking through a "sweaty sock". . .but nobody asked to look at it. . !

( The radio - not the sock )

They had radio way back in 1974?

Thought it was by telegraph and smoke signals 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Like 1

We had limited comms, but YOU try and keep the string tight in the baked bean can when you're flying a circuit or right base in mild turbs. . .

( Isn't it about time you hit the sack mate ? )

They had radio way back in 1974?Thought it was by telegraph and smoke signals 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

On the Dick Smith thread, you happened to mention that you got your radio gear from Dick Smith,. . .don't you think that this was a little unRealistic ?

008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif..........unRealistic? Phil....only those that remember Tandy Electronics would get it!Wayne.

Obviously those that were running Dick Smith Electronics lately had forgotten Tandy. DSE went down the same path, morphing from an electronics store to a toy and gadgets store and suffered the same fate as Tandy. Jaycar seem to be heading the same way also.

Those who forget the lessons of the past are doomed to repeat them.

• Agree 1