Is it practical to fly cross-country without an ASIC card?

NT5224

Hi Allen,

When are you planning on doing your trip?, I have just bought a plane on the east coast and will be ferrying her home to Darwin in April.

I am going to get a asic card just in case. The last thing that I want is any hassle while on the great adventure. The plane is currently

in Bundy and I am looking forwards to getting her up north and flying some of the top locations that we have up here.

Anyway, have a top trip.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I flew from Busselton WA to Sunshine Coast and was not asked for it in any of the places I stopped in the 5 days, including YBSU. Still, would hate to get pulled up without it, but still have never once been asked for it even walking around Bankstown.

Unfortunately, it is an offence to fail to display it...they are doing random ramp checks so bewRe the strict liability offence.

I don't agree with the ASIC card requirement at all BUT I have one because it is the current law and I use security controlled airports. The security control at many small airports is quite silly IMO.

BUT as pointed out by Kaz "fail to display & strict liability" should be seriously considered. Should enforcement action be taken the penalty would make you wish you had spent the money on a card.

• Agree 2

If our own RAA management, with 4k members can,t get it sorted

( revamped ).........your "balls" implication sort of looses it,s sting.

It,s here, and it,s here to stay.......end of.

It was a total kneejerk reaction to 911. It was irrelevant then and is now. AFAIK no other country has anything like it. Just another bureaucratic piece of BS to keep a few people employed and make themselves feel important.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

I don't have an ASIC and won't bother with one. As pilots our certificate or licence should be enough while 'behind the wire'. If I had the need to fly into ASIC controlled airports then maybe I'd get one. They are just a money spinner. The ASIC will not in any way stop the lunatics from doing anything bad. There was a time when the whole family could walk up to the steps at the plane to give the old man a hug as he went interstate for business. How times have changed.

• Agree 1

Doesen't matter, You choose to hold a licence same as a commercial or private pilot.You choose to fly, therefore you should have an asic.

Thats like saying mr bad man from syria can gets his ra licence at a small airport with no security check and hire a plane from a small airport and then cause havoc.

I believe the asic shouldn't be based on access to a security controlled airport but instead a high level background check on you and your eligibility to hold a pilots licence.

If somebody wants a RA licence they are going to be waiting for a very long time. The RAA only issue certificates.

Hi Allen,When are you planning on doing your trip?, I have just bought a plane on the east coast and will be ferrying her home to Darwin in April.

I am going to get a asic card just in case. The last thing that I want is any hassle while on the great adventure. The plane is currently

in Bundy and I am looking forwards to getting her up north and flying some of the top locations that we have up here.

Anyway, have a top trip.

Kevin

Sent you a message

I don't understand why people don't just pay the $200 like most people do, then you would not have to ask questions like this and take risks.

Interested to see the hornets nest this thread has stirred.... But pleased many respondents seem to think the flight might be possible. I'll definitely ring ahead to check security situation and availability of fuel and other necessaries. Don't want to get on the wrong side of the authorities!

cheers

Alan

Thankfully we here in NZ don't have to put up with any of that nonsense - apart from Auckland and Queenstown who appear to have banned microlights (probably fair enough as far as Auckland is concerned) as far as I know we can land at any airport (provided we have a transponder) without the need for any kind of security clearance. We do complete a "Fit & Proper Person" form when obtaining our license and there is some talk of making it a biannual thing but so far all good.

• Like 2

Thankfully we here in NZ don't have to put up with any of that nonsense - apart from Auckland and Queenstown who appear to have banned microlights (probably fair enough as far as Auckland is concerned) as far as I know we can land at any airport (provided we have a transponder) without the need for any kind of security clearance. We do complete a "Fit & Proper Person" form when obtaining our license and there is some talk of making it a biannual thing but so far all good.

And that is how it should be. People talk of the freedoms we have in Australia but these are only if you comply with the mountains of paperwork and ridiculous bureaucracy that has resulted in the most regulations and the most adversarial aviation authority there is.

• Agree 4

And that is how it should be. People talk of the freedoms we have in Australia but these are only if you comply with the mountains of paperwork and ridiculous bureaucracy that has resulted in the most regulations and the most adversarial aviation authority there is.

It's not just the aviation authority. Australia is one of the most over governed, bureaucratic, over regulated countries in the world. And is getting worse as bureaucracy is an inward looking cancer that feeds on itself.

Those that grew up in the 50s, 60, and 70s, cherish those memories.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

D

Such is life..Can't please everyone.

You have a choice remember, comply with the regs or don't fly. SIMPLE!

Don't have a problem in the world with the governance of my flying. I was just making comment on the choking bureaucracy of this modern era.

• Agree 1

I have an Asic and a Msic card. (The maritime equivelent). I believe it involves the same ASIO and AFP checks. Both cost not insignificant amounts of money to aquire. Is it unreasonable of me to think that one card could/should suffice.

• Agree 2

I have an Asic and a Msic card. (The maritime equivelent). I believe it involves the same ASIO and AFP checks. Both cost not insignificant amounts of money to aquire. Is it unreasonable of me to think that one card could/should suffice.

Geoff, Do you need another check for your msic?

I just paid a card fee about $50 but has same expiry as asic. So they issued it based on the asic security check.

No extra security check for msic.

• Caution 1

Geoff, Do you need another check for your msic?I just paid a card fee about $50 but has same expiry as asic. So they issued it based on the asic security check.

No extra security check for msic.

Robbo.

Who did you get your cards through. I have had Msic since they came out. First one 5 years then 2 renewals each renewal involves complete checks.

My Asic I have had for about 8 to 10 months and again full checks.

Robbo. Who did you get your cards through. I have had Msic since they came out. First one 5 years then 2 renewals each renewal involves complete checks.

My Asic I have had for about 8 to 10 months and again full checks.

I don't hold one anymore, but will be reapplying in the next few months as we have a boat berthed in an area where we need the msic.

Here is an email I received last week to confirm nothing has changed since I held one.

"If you are basing your MSIC on an ASIC, the process is slightly different. The background check will be based on the ASIC so we can just print the MSIC within 2 business days. However, the expiry date will match the ASIC"