Is it practical to fly cross-country without an ASIC card?

NT5224

Well that makes sense and is how I thought it should work. Maybe I should reapply for my Asic through the agency I use for Msic when it falls due. I may be able to save some time and money and actually get a 4 year Asic as I do with Msic.

When I first applied for the Asic I just went through RAA.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think you will get a two year asic as they only do two years, but they will most likely send you a new card when they do the second check for the 4 year msic.

If you do the asic and msic at the same time the asic will have the two year expiry and msic will have four years but they should automatically send you the asic for the next two years after the second check.

I repeated myself there because I am using my phone and can't be bothered deleting the first part 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hiya folks

I started this thread about a month ago and was pleased at the responses and discussion it stimulated.

Anyway I am now back home, having flown across Australia without an ASIC card and wanted to feed back on my experiences in case anybody else finds themselves in a similar situation.

Ok, just to start this I want to say I have no gripe with ASIC in principal, If I could just hand over the dollars and get one I would. But I have some very legitimate reasons why I can't get one -nothing illegal I hasten to add! I'm just a guy who falls through the cracks.

So obviously I made the flight Ok. I never hid the fact that I didn't have an ASIC, and nobody I intacted with had a problem with that. Obviously ASIC is something that people on working airfields around the country have imposed upon them from above, and there is no real passion to enforce it. I was told that a lot of private outback flyers don't have an ASIC, but as a stranger travelling cross country it would have been more comfortable to have had one. So folks if you can get one, please do, but for all those who helped me along the way, a big thanks.

Actually a bigger challenge I faced was some airfields being locked for the weekend. Quite by chance I was flying over a weekend and so learned this. Nobody mentions this in flight training, ( although I did my training before the whole ASIC thing, when the fences went up). It was bloody hot in Central Australia when I flew into one airfield to refuel and found that there was no drinking water airside. Why don't all airfields in hot climates have drinking water for pilots airside? I was that thirsty I had to fly to another airfield simply to get a drink of water and fill my water bottles. It was a pretty miserable experience.

So my conclusion it's obviously better to travel with ASIC, but if you don't it's better to go during the week, when there are people around and airfields are unlocked during working hours.

Cheers

Alan

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

Always......always, make sure you've got ample water. Any avail water enroute, is a bonus. ( if an unexpected outlanding occurs, you are going to be in trouble without it. ) Spoken from experience.

Sat ph.........must have as well.

• Agree 1

It's not just the aviation authority. Australia is one of the most over governed, bureaucratic, over regulated countries in the world. And is getting worse as bureaucracy is an inward looking cancer that feeds on itself.Those that grew up in the 50s, 60, and 70s, cherish those memories.

I went to school in the 50s and 60s and they were the most over regulated, petty, vicious systems in the world. Want to get ahead - play rugby league FFS what a bunch of wankers.

I didn't bother with an ASIC card until I applied for my RPL about eight months ago. My wife had an ASIC and that was sufficient for both of us. The only place we ever needed to produce it was Ayres Rock. Seriously, the guy there was obviously trained by Hitler's own security personal. Fly there without an ASIC at your peril. Spend more than 30 minutes refuelling and you will be charged. Good grief! They must be expecting terrorists to blow up The Rock.

I fly regional Vic and outback NSW and QLD without the need for an ASIC card. Have even flown into 2 security airports with no issues, just be aware that if you leave airside you may have a problem getting back.

When you get to the gate, reach through with your phone and photograph the access code and write it down or keep the photo. That way you can get back in again....so I've heard:oh yeah:

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...

I'm not new to ASIC's, as an aircraft engineer I've been required to have one for my entire working career. However, I do have several questions and thoughts for those more learned aviation folk.

Now that I have joined the flying fraternity;

1) do my passengers require an ASIC? If not, do they require my direct supervision at security controlled AD's?

2) if no RPT aircraft fly to an AD, why is it necessary to have security other than for general airport safety.

3) if no security personnel are employed to check an ASIC during AD operational hours for all those heading airside, why is it necessary to have an ASIC?

Now I know there could be many opinions with respect to these questions, your thoughts are most welcome. But it seems to me that if no RPT aircraft use an AD, an ASIC would not be required under the current legislation. Surely a current pilots license along with perhaps a photo ID would suffice as proof of identification. A photo on the pilot license itself could assist in effectively showing cause to be airside.

From previous posts, it seems that other than at major airports, security checks are adhoc at best. So my question is, if local authorities do not have sufficient security personnel and infrastructure available to check all citizens going airside, why should these same citizens be required to produce a current ASIC on the off chance that an inspection is carried out? I see the necessity for an ASIC, don't get me wrong. But please, if the public goes to the trouble and expense of acquiring this proof of identity and character, there needs to be a level of consistency in providing security at all security controlled registered airports. The legislators can't have it both ways, charge the public for a service and not provide that service. I hope they get it right soon.

Apologies for my ramblings, it's a perfect afternoon for flying. So I'm off, cheers.

Rusty60. You see the need for an ASIC. You have better sight than I do. I flew for years without an SIC as did everyone else. Then they crashed airliners in the USA and our knee jerk politicians imposed the ASIC on us. What good has it done? Has it ever stopped any terrorist attacks?

Rusty60. You see the need for an ASIC. You have better sight than I do. I flew for years without an SIC as did everyone else. Then they crashed airliners in the USA and our knee jerk politicians imposed the ASIC on us. What good has it done? Has it ever stopped any terrorist attacks?

Perhaps, that sentence of mine created the wrong impression. The need for an ASIC was intended to correspond with local government having the required amount of security available at all security controlled AD's. Which they will never do by the way. If there is a requirement by authorities for citizens to have an ASIC, then the level of security at security controlled AD's should reflect that requirement. It's ok for say, Kingsford Smith AD to require an ASIC, but not really for Hamilton in country Victoria. RAA pilots flying to non controlled AD's should in my opinion only require a pilot license and photo ID. I hope that clears up my view. Thanks for responding Yenn.

• Like 3

Hi Rusty60

I see that your original post was in January 2016 so I guess the next questions how did the trip go and did you have any issues?

I may have missed something but to still get replies on a post from January but still getting advice in June from a newly purchased aircraft and a trip that you were about to undertake I can only assume that the trip would have already happened by now .

Hope all went well