what brands of recovery chutes are there

Guest disperse

BTW Troy - before you take your children flying you should probably consider whether they would have the strength to fire whichever system you install. I understand they need some level of mechanical force a small child might not be able to apply.

Guest disperse
BTW Troy - before you take your children flying you should probably consider whether they would have the strength to fire whichever system you install. I understand they need some level of mechanical force a small child might not be able to apply.

Good point !! from memory about 9kgs of force.

If you are going to die in one of our aircraft I would wager that the most likely cause will be CFIT. A BRS is not going to help that in general. There are lots of other interventions that can be undertaken to reduce CFIT deaths.

Secondly is the matter of weight. From recollection a chute will weigh in at between 12 and 20 kg. As an example a Tecnam has a baggage limit behind the seat of 20kg and if you are at MTOW without a chute then you are leaving either some fuel or your baggage behind. Fuel exhaustion BTW is a major cause of engine failure for GA and I don't expect that we are any different. 20kg fuel is about 27 litres - around 1.5 hours in said Tecnam. In some aircraft the 12-20 kg will be the decider between taking a second person or not in a 2 seater or leaving at all in a small single seater - the chute or the fuel!

We need to be aware of some accidents where the chute ends up tangled in the tail surfaces. You are then going down fast, chute not deployed and no tail control surfaces. I unfortunately can't find the link to a rather tragic report I read on this.

Regards

Mike

CFIT... ok, I've just been really stupid and flown into cloud (IMC). I dont have the right instruments, I'm not trained, I'm below LSALT, I've panicked and I've now got 178 seconds to live. Turn the lot off and pull the chute. It gives me a fighting chance at least......Having a BRS may well have saved some people who ended up in this situation.

As for weight...that is a penalty that you have to pay. No arguement., however, do you (as the pilot, not you personally) have the ability to lose a few kgs of weight? I know I fit that category 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif:yuk:........

Chute tangled up in tail surfaces, flying controls etc etc....pray a lot..it looks like your time is up...fair point Mike 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Regards

Phil

Guest pelorus32
CFIT... ok, I've just been really stupid and flown into cloud (IMC). I dont have the right instruments, I'm not trained, I'm below LSALT, I've panicked and I've now got 178 seconds to live. Turn the lot off and pull the chute. It gives me a fighting chance at least......Having a BRS may well have saved some people who ended up in this situation.As for weight...that is a penalty that you have to pay. No arguement., however, do you (as the pilot, not you personally) have the ability to lose a few kgs of weight? I know I fit that category 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif:yuk:........

Chute tangled up in tail surfaces, flying controls etc etc....pray a lot..it looks like your time is up...fair point Mike 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Regards

Phil

G'day Phil

The only point that I'd make about CFIT is that there are lots of ways to engage in CFIT and inadvertent IMC is only one of them.

As for losing weight - 20kg is more than I can lose.

Regards

Mike

Guest Baphomet

I'm only 95% sure of this, but the weight of the chute doesn't impact on the MTOW calculation, it's an allowance.

Re the chute getting tangled, sounds like the result of incorrect mounting. Follow the manufacturers guidlines and it shouldn't be an issue.

Re Galaxy repack, I have some observations to make about the process that I couldn't air here, send me a private mail.

I've seen the allowance for floats in the official documentation but I can't say I've read anything about an allowance for a recovery system.

Can anyone point me to where it's written ?.