3 axis ultralight flight training near Brisbane, Australia?

So I learnt to fly in the 90's in a Piper Warrior but lately my childhood dream has reared its head and I'd love to try out ultralights. I'm interested more in 3 axis than weight shifting. So does anyone know of any places I can learn (or re-learn I suppose) that aren't too far from Brisbane? I could probably handle going as far as Ballina in NSW. There is a place called Lone Eagle Flying School not far from Toowoomba that might be the ticket. I haven't contacted them yet though.

The ultimate goal is to do a few lessons, and if I really like it, buy my own ultralight which is what I dreamt of doing when I was young. If it turns out I hate being so exposed, well at least I finally did it!

• Like 2

I've had a great experience at airsport qld with David Briffa, at Boonah (1 hr from Brisbane). Id highly recommend him as an instructor. It's also a beautiful area to learn in - in the scenic rim.

Michael

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

Try John Walmsley at Coominya Flight Training. Near Atkinson Dam between Gatton and Esk. Contact and directions on the web site.http://www.coominyaflighttraining.com.au/contact_us

DWF 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

I'll second this, has his own strip with little traffic. I did a GA conversion there a couple of years ago and still go out there now to hire and say hi.

David

Hi Danny,If you want a very good flying school it's at Redcliffe close to Brisbane, you can give Mahl Oakes a call at Fly Now.. wonderful instructors worth a call mate...

http://www.fly-now-redcliffe.com/

David

Thanks, they sound great but the aircraft are overkill. I am looking at flying a Quicksilver type ultralight, so am really looking for slow flying 'rag and wire' planes :)

Pathfinder Aviation at Archerfield are excellent as well. Currently their fleet consists mostly of Slings.http://pathfinderaviation.com.au/

WAY too fancy for me!

Lone Eagle at Clifton has a Drifter.

I kind of guessed they did from their webpage, but they didn't specifically mention them. They are on my list of people to call though :)

Trevor Bange is a really great instructor and the Clifton site has accommodation at excellent rates - and lots of clear area for flying. Just don't expect to use the strip after it's rained heavily - it's black soil, and becomes hot chewing gum after rain.

• Agree 1

Danny wanting to learn to fly in a traditional ultralight will only drag out your learning process, you can't fly them in windy days, you won't enjoy it in winter or when its raining. Traveling to Clifton from Brisbane will take a good 2 hours, Clifton is 45 minutes from Toowoomba, a single lesson will require you to set aside at least 5 hours and 400kms of car expenses.

Danny wanting to learn to fly in a traditional ultralight will only drag out your learning process, you can't fly them in windy days, you won't enjoy it in winter or when its raining. Traveling to Clifton from Brisbane will take a good 2 hours, Clifton is 45 minutes from Toowoomba, a single lesson will require you to set aside at least 5 hours and 400kms of car expenses.

I have a bit over 40 hours on a Piper Warrior, was GFPT with one nav under my belt, and a couple of hours in an IS-28 sailplane so have a pretty good understanding of flying, just I'd like to bring it back to basics and just enjoy the flying :)

"you can't fly them in windy days, you won't enjoy it in winter"

Thanks FT, I didn't know that.

Pity that I didn't know that back in 1999 as I wouldn't have "suffered" in my Drifter for the last 1100 hours over the last 17 years. I guess that there mustn't have been many windy or cold day.

danny_galaga I would try Clifton http://loneeagleflyingschool.org.au/

or Gympie http://www.recreationalflyingco.com.au/

Kiwi

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 1

I've nearly over cooked it a few times on that road. Still, corners = smiles for bikers.

On the subject of open cockpits, because I already ride a motorcycle through Canberra Winters (and a few Darling Downs ones) I have some really rather nice clothes for the purpose.

They work really well on a drifter too. A bit bulky for a J160 because you can't bend your knees so much and you get hot in there quite soon.

I used to turn up the middle of winter with a hot water bottle stuffed down my jacket and leave it there until I'd finished flying. It used to frustrate Trevor because he'd be freezing in the back seat wearing ugg boots dying for a pee and I'd be going along nicely.

Yes I have photos. No I'm not sharing because of what is written on the cover of the pink hot water bottle

Now if the could just fit real wings to a goldwing. Heated seats, heated handgrips, heated air ducted to your feet, stereo, 6 stacker cd and airbag. Oh what a Drifter that could be. Could be a little on the heavy side.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...