Flying Flea

Flea_Nut

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all I have recently inherited a flying flea fuse large that looks to be very well made and I am trying to identify the model. No plans came with the fuse. The overall length of the fuselarge (firewall to tail is 2535mm. If anyone can help would be much appreciated.

Probably no help, but I have an article Fleas Over Popham in Aeroplane Monthly December 1995 which has some history, Could scan and send 3 pages if you wish. Of course there is a lot more in Wikipedia.

I think I have the original Plans somewhere (in French) Used a Scott two stroke later(special built aircraft motor) but motorcycle engines prior. Which versions are you interested in? Nev

Hi Scott

Have a look here. Koen is an avid Flea nut, & very knowledgeable. You can find plans in English for a free (flee?) download. Might help.

I'm half tempted to build one of these for my next project. . .

Bruce

Hi Scott. post some picies and we will soon tell you what it is, I have a complete Hm14 undergoing an engine refit and a partially built 293 that is an exact copy of Freds 290. You must be aware of the severe seating restrictions imposed on the pilot in these types of aircraft. These aircraft are made for small people ( designed for 70 KG pilots) even though the larger pilots who are tuning into this group will disagree with me. I have decided I am not happy with either of my Fleas. The HM14 is undergoing its engine refit to go to the TAVAS museum because the wing has been built with a swept spar ( no flat centre section) and no drag / antidrag struts in the wings. Not safe to fly.. The 293 is 4 inches longer than Freds 290 but my ribs all come from his jigs and the mainspars are made from Canadian spruce imported by me. All steel is complete plus fuel tank and instrument panel. I''m not comfortable in it. I'm 100 KG's and theorically the 293 should not fly me although I have seen Freds short winged 290 flown by pilots 20 K's over weight with no trouble. The trouble you are going to have is when you declare to the RAA that you are going to continue the build. They will want to know the build history and particularly the woods and glues used in the build. Be prepared for this because it will be very painfull probably requiring an inspection by a level 2 authorised inspector. The RAA is PAIIIINFULL to deal with and could take as long as a piece of endless string. Any way put up some picies. If it is a short HM14 fuse it can be extended with Freds authorised mods. At one time when Bob Cornwell was running his Flea site, we knew of all the builders in Aus. On the death of Phil Baligand (293) and the lack of information on the cause of his crash, all building of the Flea in Aus stopped ( there may be a few exceptions I dont know of) You may have the beginnings of a few Bob and I know about. Do you know its build history?

Vive Le Pou

James

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but I figured why create a brand new thread to ask very related questions:

Question 1: What sort of power would be suitable to fly a 293 comfortably? I have a 50hp Valley Engineering Big Twin (reworked Generac) weighing at 116lbs (53kg) which includes redrive, starter, alternator, exhausts and oil. Would this be sufficient?

Duncan

Hi,I know this is an old thread, but I figured why create a brand new thread to ask very related questions:

Question 1: What sort of power would be suitable to fly a 293 comfortably? I have a 50hp Valley Engineering Big Twin (reworked Generac) weighing at 116lbs (53kg) which includes redrive, starter, alternator, exhausts and oil. Would this be sufficient?

Duncan

Depends on the wings and your MTOW.

50hp with that weight will have no problem in lifting a fair old lump of pilot - the r503 in the HM290 with a lump of lead under the engine was pretty much the same mass as your engine and it would lift a 95kg pilot - no more as CofG was then too far aft.

If you are building the larger HM293 wings and set the wings up for your actual fully clothed pilot weight you should get a good performance out of it.

Gordon Laubsch was a South Australian, he had a farm just north of Kapunda and he was a member of the Balaklava gliding club. (I found his wallet on the strip there one day which is how I made his acquaintance ).

He had an airstrip on his farm, and a hangar with a well-used Volksplane and I think a Flying Flea.

The thing that was noticeable about his planes was the lack of markings. Gordon was a free man and bureaucrats were unwelcome. I think they had decided to leave him alone and hope he crashed.

I heard he died of a heart attack, but didn't know him well enough to know any details.

Gordon Laubsch was a South Australian, he had a farm just north of Kapunda and he was a member of the Balaklava gliding club. (I found his wallet on the strip there one day which is how I made his acquaintance ).He had an airstrip on his farm, and a hangar with a well-used Volksplane and I think a Flying Flea.

The thing that was noticeable about his planes was the lack of markings. Gordon was a free man and bureaucrats were unwelcome. I think they had decided to leave him alone and hope he crashed.

I heard he died of a heart attack, but didn't know him well enough to know any details.

Gordon was a gentleman. Much appreciated his time and experience before flying the hm290 for the first time. He was entirely correct - the quickie q1 was harder to fly than a flea .

He enjoyed his flying and got around in his planes. Much missed.

Update to my post ( #36) OF JANUARY 2016. . .

I have tried to contact the owner of the Balerit at OTHERTON without success. It is still there in storage and the management say there has been no rent paid on the hangar for some time. . .

Will keep trying.

Phil.