Taildragger Heaven

BJFly

Hey Brett, what time did you stop in at Bundy? We left Bundy for Gladstone at about 11am. Definitely a great day for a fly.

Hi Mick,

It certainly was a nice day. Bundy photo is from Earlier in the week, dropped in to pick up a box of oil. Just about due for a service, I'll have to stop flying it so much!

A while ago you asked about T/O and landing distances. I put out some cones and had a play last week. With about 7 kts on the nose I had a landing roll of 52m and a T/O roll of 25m. All one up, half fuel. Machine can probably still do better, pilot needs more work.

Here's a couple more pics.

image.jpeg.6ca0f361ebe36c7b3d89833615c86147.jpeg

image.jpeg.e05cd1d6d36af0d0e468aaf032c8fed1.jpeg

• Like 5

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mick,A while ago you asked about T/O and landing distances. I put out some cones and had a play last week. With about 7 kts on the nose I had a landing roll of 52m and a T/O roll of 25m. All one up, half fuel.

Thats gunna be fun!

Hi All,

Short hop over to Howard on Friday, first time landing at a friends strip in one of his paddocks. The Courier handled it with ease. Quick chat and a look at his ongoing restoration of a Bob Cat ultralight.

Onwards to Pacific Haven for morning tea, followed by a flight along the beach. Here's a couple of pics.

image.jpeg.b4adb90357d9b0411ba063b7c96f3bf2.jpeg

image.jpeg.276bab61aa00ea568caba7f44f997d09.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi All,

What else could you ask for, great weather, camping at your favourite airfield and a Tail Dragger waiting to be flown. Maybe camping underwing on a NQ beach might have me beat........Doug how was the weekend?

image.jpeg.a9bee17fe253e2ee03c44ba26e50e684.jpeg

image.jpeg.ee19bf63bed0540355b0f4d8b1026a62.jpeg

image.jpeg.9472e20e1c0b8f1cacec2cea30dc5f86.jpeg

• Like 1

. Maybe camping underwing on a NQ beach might have me beat........Doug how was the weekend?

Dougs weekend went Great. Following on from Doug's invite he arranged the food, hooking up water at the hangars, mowing of the strip, a couple of extra toilets and the food, drinks etc. He had a small band of helpers and the great weekend was a credit tohim, Gary the owner and the others who helped. I visited so don't have all the names. There are images on the tell us about your last flight.

Cheers

Mike

G,day taildragers all. Thursday at sparra was nil wind as predicted and I managed to get in some short solo strip flights and bum up taxi training as well, blessed to have a 2 klm main and 1100 cross all to oneself for training eh. I,ll post a pic or two of "afters". (No one mentioned you need to be part monkey to service these old girls)BT000365.JPG.6fa0cc074c9a77ec4d1cf12050b830bc.JPG

BT000601.JPG.b26b69e3f04f6d4538fe3e983d8d65f5.JPG

• Like 4

G,day taildragers all. Thursday at sparra was nil wind as predicted and I managed to get in some short solo strip flights and bum up taxi training as well, blessed to have a 2 klm main and 1100 cross all to oneself for training eh. I,ll post a pic or two of "afters". (No one mentioned you need to be part monkey to service these old girls)[ATTACH=full]42279[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]42279[/ATTACH]

Won't be long before we see you out and about in your flying machine. Don't think I'll be challenging you to a short field contest, I reckon you'll be able to land on a tennis court!

Got a long, long, long way to go befor I can match my birds capability but Brett and I sure am looking forward to learning it all. In still air she was climbing out at only 4000 rpm and had to be throttled back to fly the strip. Just wants to fly eh.

• 2 weeks later...

Loverly air this morning chaps so, up for my first storch solo, half a dozen ccts then off to a cuppa with Hugh at chilly, smooth as all the way with a bit of overcast keeping it cool. No other tailfeather airplanes around and about but a nice way to spend the morning anyway. Thanks Hugh

• Winner 1

Hi All,

Well I'm starting to put the Courier to the test. One of our club members mentioned that his mate who flys an Airbike drops into the paddock adjacent to his farmhouse.

I felt up for a challenge so into the Courier for a look. Short and bumpy, with powerlines at one end, a cross slope that was a little concerning at first, and it was one way in & out affair. Having said all that the Courier did it with ease. I can see why these little aircraft have a cult following. My smile was as big as the property owner in the bottom picture.

image.jpeg.197c371de55b51532c7d4cfc1f164a78.jpeg

image.jpeg.95469c1f5acca75284252a4962472556.jpeg

image.jpeg.3cf57d2511a4912f48a74025912dcfee.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi All,

Another little test for the Courier yesterday. Dropped into Marks property West of Childers. Lovely spot, with a strip made for the likes of Marks Savanah, also perfectly suited to the Courier. Didn't realise dried cow patties could be so bumpy! Great way to end the day, the little Courier is still putting a smile on my face.

image.jpeg.0faba09e6c16b2eb37dbfc8f53736eac.jpeg

image.jpeg.8a35095186a922bdb14f0b6e95c73ffc.jpeg

• Like 1

Way to go sir. Shes not a bad little landing spot their on Marks place. I took out an anti cowpat policy myself today and ordered a duelfork 9"phneumatic tailwheel assembly for the ole girl eh. Had another hour in the storch this morning and loverly and calm air again to help me to get used to her Brett, very nice indeed sir. Good to see your practicing the tailwheelers creed after all they made airoplanes before they made airodromes eh

• Like 1

Another day, another strip, visited John, he has a small property North of Childers. Lovely smooth strip, made a bit short by powerlines at the threshold.

image.jpeg.e48cccc8b244572c78566c5b57544fa2.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[ATTACH=full]43093[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]43094[/ATTACH] It can't land on a beach, it takes a bit of runway to get off, it doesn't climb like a homesick angel, it's not the fastest but it was huge fun to build and it is unbelieveably good FUN to fly, and it does have a little wheel at the back............

Nice mate, Certainly looks like she'd be a little pocket rocket, don't know much about them but I'll be looking them up on the Internet. Happy flying

image.jpeg.65780ea66e96a90966900de12a0d6d74.jpeg She's no "pocket rocket", powered by the aerovee ( kit VW, produced by Sonex) which only puts out 80hp, but you can now get a turbo version which would really go! Photo taken this afternoon , pretty much straight and level showing 120 Kias at 2,000ft full throttle , but it is a fairly coarse prop so I am only seeing climb rates around 6-800fpm. Once it's up and going though it's pretty cool with a manouvering speed of 130 and VNE at 170plus!

I think it is as close as I can get to the RV grin at an affordable price,

Cheers Peter

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I was wandering around Old Station on the weekend when I developed a serious case of wheel envy, it's enough to make a bloke feel inadequate!

Here I was thinking the wheels on my Courier were big, might be time for a monster wheel kit from the States.

image.jpeg.e07fd8494a5c0626df9ff88a8412f324.jpeg

image.jpeg.3c9c74bcce60ce6f7194549010247ab6.jpeg

image.jpeg.c29516db5f33f298788d9769c26fc3af.jpeg

• Like 1