Taildragger Heaven

BJFly

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a cracker of a day for flying, clear and no bumps. Jumped in the Courier as a passenger with Simon flying and headed for Monduran. The Monduran aero club was holding its monthly meeting so there were plenty of people to meet and morning tea to be eaten.

For anyone that is interested the Isis flying club will be flying into Monduran next Sat morning around 0830. If your after an excuse to go for a flight come and join us.

image.jpeg.11ece9a519b189aaaa0bab2d20ebab28.jpeg

image.jpeg.f12412ce0c36c5c94a5da1cf235f18f2.jpeg

Sat saw 4 Aircraft from the Isis Flying Club take to the skies for the short flight to Monduran (2 Jabs, 1 Lightwing, 1 Rans Courier). A club dinner around the campfire was also enjoyed by the members.

image.jpeg.899b78f4d8db6e3320f614bf7252659d.jpeg

image.jpeg.cfdeb077080b539a61b6bda0516c08e3.jpeg

image.jpeg.1be0dc214553c156c848c3d7095bfefa.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

2016-07-03.jpg.fb5b6f5313c1a25adf86afaa7403ba07.jpg

Just because you blokes are making me jealous looking at pics of your 'draggers here's a snap of ours with the father in law giving it a proprietorial inspection. As a life long model aircraft builder and engineer I was pleased at his positive assessment.

• Like 6

Hi All,

Anyone interested in picking up an outstanding Rans Courier S-7S we have decided to put ours on the market. Details in the classified section, there are plenty of pics throughout this thread.

image.jpeg.eade8b09edf42ef9c8b83286420af845.jpeg

Hi All,Anyone interested in picking up an outstanding Rans Courier S-7S we have decided to put ours on the market. Details in the classified section, there are plenty of pics throughout this thread.

[ATTACH=full]46056[/ATTACH]

Hey, I'm not in a position to buy -but just loved the pics of your aircraft since the start of this thread. Why are you selling such a smart little plane after just four years ? Upgrading to something better? If i'd seen this a year ago i might have snapped it up...

Hope you get a quick sale and it goes to a good home

Alan

Hey, I'm not in a position to buy -but just loved the pics of your aircraft since the start of this thread. Why are you selling such a smart little plane after just four years ? Upgrading to something better? If i'd seen this a year ago i might have snapped it up...Hope you get a quick sale and it goes to a good home

Alan

Thanks for the comments Alan. We purchased the aircraft from the original builder at the start of the year. He did a great job with the aircraft. I'm going to get back into doing some instructing so I'll be on the hunt for a suitable factory built aircraft. The Courier was ideal to get some Tailwheel experience, I still enjoy every minute flying it.

• 2 weeks later...

A sunny Sunday morning, so out with the Courier for a flight past Elliott Heads, Bagarra & Burnett Heads. Then off to Monduran for a cuppa with Bruce from Pacific Haven who fly's a great looking Texan.

IMG_2859.JPG.f286691b647f0c5ed49cbb210427b01e.JPG

IMG_2858.JPG.dc2cf235ab973515ce23284851c5f0b3.JPG

IMG_2861.JPG.2b4b42a76eec1f6966034e6ba4f2b5e3.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG.b85371e87fd2ebe9187cd879d9131347.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG.4619f410797bd395cb6c8d3d39640420.JPG

• Like 3

It was a nice morning yesterday so it was off to a mates property to have some fun in the courier. Might have to get myself some bigger tyres! This type of flying certainly puts a smile on your face.

IMG_2884.JPG.c65c816937bdaf66cd5e7b05bd610849.JPG

IMG_2886.JPG.a1ab3f9e5fc0946ef870f7d7f41ad873.JPG

IMG_2885.JPG.5c7634e0457bc30d658d9b9652c7b0a9.JPG

• Like 4

Everyone who flew in the 50's flew a taildragger and thought nothing of it. What's changed? The planes are the same. Anyhow you do have to put extra effort into it or you will make a fool of yourself the minute you relax too much. It's not compulsory and tri gear made big planes civilised. We've discussed this matter at length in the past. They ARE easier to taxi through farm gates. Nev

Pilots Who Fly Tail Draggers are Gods of the Air, have Real Skills with Large Gonads!

Why? I would have thought they were more likely to be Gods of the Runway/Taxiway, surely once they (taildraggers) are in the air they are no different, it is on the ground where they will bite you.

• Like 4

Why? I would have thought they were more likely to be Gods of the Runway/Taxiway, surely once they (taildraggers) are in the air they are no different, it is on the ground where they will bite you.

I was going to say the same thing Geoff :)

Lovely little plane - what engine? I took over a Himax build some months ago as a project (you have to have a project) and its progressing well. It will have a Rotax 503 - inverted, and I have built a 35 litre fuel tank to go behind the seat - should balance out the heavier engine. Also looking forward to doing some drag reduction - they perform well if cleaned up a bit with faired struts, droop wingtips, spats etc. I have joined the Lonesome Buzzards forum based in the USA - fantastic amount of tips and mods that various builders have done.

Hello MM - great to hear of another Max person in this hemisphere.

When building my Eros I decided on a Compact Radial Engines MZ202. It makes a genuine 60hp at an installed weight of 40kg - this is 10 kg less than the old 503 I have that I was going to fit (weighed on same scales). And it's 625cc, with electric start.

Yes, the ETLB is a great forum - it was one of the reasons I decided to build a MiniMax. A couple of my threads you might be interested in: this one on the drag reduction mods I've done, & this one on my build.

I have a 22 litre tank in each wing. I'm surprised you managed to fit a 35 litre tank behind the seat - but maybe the Himax is a bit different from the midwing.

I'll look forward to seeing some pix of your project.

Cheers

Bruce