Recording Cockpit Audio

Precog

Hi guys, planning on purchasing a go pro hero3+ silver today but not sure what the best solution is to recording cockpit audio. Was planning to purchase a cable adapter such as the nflightcam but the lack of ambient noise to me seems a bit of a negative.

Now, im thinking of just using my ipod earphones inside the headset as i have read others doing. The advantage of this seems to be it records ATC as well as ambient noise and a more realistic sound.... and doesnt cost anything.

Does anybody have any experience with this method? Also. are you recording the audio via the go pro, smartphone or separate recorder?

Hi guys, planning on purchasing a go pro hero3+ silver today but not sure what the best solution is to recording cockpit audio. Was planning to purchase a cable adapter such as the nflightcam but the lack of ambient noise to me seems a bit of a negative. Now, im thinking of just using my ipod earphones inside the headset as i have read others doing. The advantage of this seems to be it records ATC as well as ambient noise and a more realistic sound.... and doesnt cost anything.

Does anybody have any experience with this method? Also. are you recording the audio via the go pro, smartphone or separate recorder?

I have an adaptor that connects inline with the headset plugs and then that connects into the go pro, but if you are ok at editing use the cable with a note taker.

• Agree 1

Nope...

Live ATC have been around for years without problems. Even Air Services have there own stream there.

Only get in the poo's if you record things such as emergency services, even though the cfa have there own public stream.

I prefer just having a lapel type microphone (got a cheap one off ebay for a few bucks) Fits easily inside my headset. Gives you a more realistic recording as you get the radio chatter along with some engine noise. I personally don't like aviation videos with music, or just the radio/intercom recording.

I have an adaptor that connects inline with the headset plugs and then that connects into the go pro, but if you are ok at editing use the cable with a note taker.

This is what I do also. You can buy adapters, or if you're handy with a soldering iron, you can buy bits from Jaycar to do it.

I use a 2 into 1 6.5mm adapter, with a cable I made that has a 6.5mm plug at one end and a3.5mm plug to go into my audio recorder at the other end.

The GoPro 3 onward does not have a 3.5mm jack and instead uses a special mini USB plug. It's very hard to cobble one up because it uses the 'other side' of the mini USB plug - which actually allows for a total of 11 pins - where nearly all other USB cables only use 4. Where I have very hard you may as well read impossible.

These ( http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/pa80s_hero3.php ) do work well, but as you say there is no ambient noise - so it is eerily quiet when there is no voice to trigger the intercom or radio. (So yes they record both)

You can get adapters from the micro 'GoPro' USB to a 3.5mm socket and then plug in a microphone. Or just get a Gopro compatible lapel mic.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I might start with trying a small lapel mic in the headset and see how that goes first. Not sure though if it is better to record straight into the gopro (do i need a skeletal housing for this?) or a dedicated voice recorder. What are the advantages of the voice recorder? Is it easy to sync the sound with the go pro video? Wouldn't a smart phone work equally as well?

To record ambient cockpit sound on the gopro, I use a normal case with the skeleton back.

I can see a couple of problems using a lapel mic in the headset

1) It might be uncomfortable if the mic presses against the side of your head or ear.

2) It might move around in the earcup and introduce noises like scraping or rattles.

3) It means having an extra cord hanging from your headset and going to a different place to where your headset cable goes, which could restrict your movement and cause further noise in the mic as the cable drags on things like the seat and your clothes. This could be reduced by taping the mic cord to the headset cord.

Using an adapter requires a little investment or effort on your part, but is worth it for the better audio quality and ultimate simplicity of the setup.

Using a dedicated recorder also requires some investment and some extra work synchronising the audio to the video, but gives a bit more flexibility in the audio connections.

It is up to you how much money, time and effort you are prepared to put into your videos. I think most people take one of two paths

1) Start simple and get more advanced as they get more interested in videomaking

2)Start simple and lose interest and just make videos on occasion, or stop altogether.

Good luck with your videoing. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I enjoy making videos and I hope you will too. There is not a lot of info about making flying videos and what little I know I learned mostly by doing and reading.

I have had some indispensible tutelage from a master though.

Google Gary Kildea.

To record ambient cockpit sound on the gopro, I use a normal case with the skeleton back.

Can you connect an external mic into the Go Pro with the skeletal case?

My older ones you can't (from memory), haven't looked at the new ones yet.

Hi guys, planning on purchasing a go pro hero3+ silver today but not sure what the best solution is to recording cockpit audio. Was planning to purchase a cable adapter such as the nflightcam but the lack of ambient noise to me seems a bit of a negative. Now, im thinking of just using my ipod earphones inside the headset as i have read others doing. The advantage of this seems to be it records ATC as well as ambient noise and a more realistic sound.... and doesnt cost anything.

I record audio using a small digital audio recorder. Plugged into the passengers headset socket via a resistor network (10K and 1K). Works well. I then combine the audio with my video during the editing stage. I use Sony Vegas 12 for video editing. Only pilot and radio traffic recorded, no engine etc. The engine sound is recorded on the video recorder and I can turn that down. To align the audio with the video I use the distinct click that occurs when letting go of the PTT and watching the LED on the dash.

• Like 1

I use a combination of cockpit noise picked up by the gopro, and voice recorded off the intercom. Digital voice recorders are cheap and plentiful at the moment. Some are available for around the $25 mark.

Great video Scott. Enjoyed the scenery. You had million dollar weather that day.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 2

Great video Scott. Enjoyed the scenery. You had million dollar weather that day.Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike.

What surprised me was the vapor trails on the tips of the prop when we took off. I didn't see them until I was editing the video. It was very humid at Evans Head that weekend.

Looking forward to seeing your videos also.

Can you connect an external mic into the Go Pro with the skeletal case?My older ones you can't (from memory), haven't looked at the new ones yet.

I have the GoPro 2 and yes you can plug the mic straight into the mic jack on the camera through the skeleton housing. That's how I do it.

Newer GoPros I'm not sure.