Off Topic Forum Idea

Admin

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahaving to pick through the other stuff is a pain. Most of us have limited time available to spend in front of a screen.

Where is all this off topic stuff that's flooding the forum that everyone keeps mentioning?

Right now ....

nonsense.jpg.366f143e81448b4ab8cfc15bdeead716.jpg

If a new site was created, the forums could possibly be:

Politics

Sport

Religion

Sex

Culture

Laws

Technology

Cars

Bikes

In the news

Jokes

Other

This is like a game show and I have to say; "I'll take "Sex" for $50 thanks Ian ...."! 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

A further thought is that I have definite and very strongly held views on religion. Have I bothered viewing the thread on this site which just about holds the record for no of posts? No. Do I mind that it exists on this site? Not at all. What could be causing all the fuss? If it is a purely technical reason that Ian thinks is quite important then, by all means, administer the site as well as you can mate. All I wish to do is give my opinion as asked with no rancor and with all good will to Ian. Thanks Ian, Don

• Agree 1

I think you could say that I am often a big player in the Off Topic field, so I've given some thought to Ian's comments as I read through the thread.

I didn't realise that the content of the Off Topic thread could adversely affect the status of the whole site. Recently we have been giving the topics of multiculturalism, refugees and politicians a hammering, and we've voiced some strong opinions. I can see that the operations of site rating software monitoring "bounce" could downgrade this fine site.

I suppose one way to have our cake and eat it would be for each of us to back off these really sensitive topics and pay more attention to to quirky things like "What wildlife do you have in your backyard?"

It is going to take some self-censorship, and maybe we could agree to invite Ian to go through the posts to identify those of us who could be asked (by PM of course - no use shaming us to the rest of the community) to steer clear of controversy.

OME

I apologise for starting the thread which appears from comments above to be the number 1 offender in this discussion, Gun Culture. Perhaps I'm just too naive, but I expected it to have a life of a few days, and maybe a couple of pages of posts, nothing like the 58 pages it is today. I would have no problem with the thread being removed, I haven't read the thread for ages. I just thought a few people may have been interested in Jim Jeffries take on the subject in the video on the opening post. Obviously touched a raw nerve with some.

I apologise for starting the thread which appears from comments above to be the number 1 offender in this discussion, Gun Culture.

Don't misunderstand my post above Red, I posted that to prove that the people who keep saying there's too much controversial topics aren't quite telling it like it is, as the picture shows, "Gun Culture" is the only one there, the rest are all aviation specific (I don't count jokes, and there's only one there anyway). Apparently there's Members who just have to open them and be offended. The thread is of no interest to me so I don't open it and I have only a couple of posts there over so many months. Don't know why other's can't do the same.

As I said in my opening post, the site userbase is very divided on this subject. Those that are against the idea have voiced their concerns in posts and those that agree have done so by the number of likes/agree on the opening post.

Seems to be another one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't scenarios.

However what we are basically saying here is that with the right coding the only real operational difference is:

• The off topic threads are not displayed in the what's new

• Clicking the off topic forum will display more forums to put off topic threads in

• When looking at off topic forums then you can see what's new in off topic

Personally, I really don't see any major issue as it actually, in my opinion, enhances the site for both sides of the argument

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Ok, I have spent some time looking into all possibilities and I believe I may have an interim, or possible long lasting solution...cost me $10 for the external code rather than try and write it myself, but here it is...

Now, the Off Topic forum threads and posts have been removed from the What's New list however, there is a new tab at the top of the What's New page that when clicked will display all the new Off Topic threads and posts:

2.jpg.a3a04df82676d34e0d62338041cc1f14.jpg

Also, as search engines do not have access as a logged in user does, the Off Topic forum, it's threads and posts, can not be viewed by a non logged in user i.e. you have to be a registered user and logged in to see them

Hope you like the solution, let me know if you do or don't...thanks

1.jpg.2f50de954f93282a86b64fef6b5d567c.jpg

• Like 6

Ah! Just like a "Members Only" page. Good idea. It will let we ratbags waffle on, but won't let the search engine trawlers downgrade to status of the site.

I'm off to post something that has notHing to do with recreational aviation, is controversial and most likely not PC:ecstatic:

OME

Ah! Just like a "Members Only" page. Good idea. It will let we ratbags waffle on, but won't let the search engine trawlers downgrade to status of the site.I'm off to post something that has noting to do with recreational aviation, is controversial and most likely not PC:ecstatic:

OME

Well done! Than man! And he's even misspelled " nothing" just to antagonise Dazza! Double brownie points to you Sir!

I'm off to post something that has notHing to do with recreational aviation, is controversial and most likely not PC:ecstatic:

I see NoTing, NOOO-Ting! in the New Topics list that fits...

(My apologies to Sgt Shultz.)

Hi guys,

I'm also on Hot Copper a shares site with lots of various forums.

The forums tend to get high jacked by the climate/religious/anti muslim/europe migration/carey packer/political,

Just a comment. Anyone can join HC maybe have a look before opening up your great site to the non-aviators?

Regards

The very fact that 'off topic' threads are so popular could mean that to banish them might mean that you are also banishing that extra amount of interested parties.

Although we are all interested in aviation, we are also interested in all other things about life on earth, including 'other topics'.

I enjoy the occasional diversion into 'off topic' land.

And, unlike the television comparisons being made by others, I think that the forum thread structure does not allow derailling of all forumite's aviation thoughts. After all one must decide to select an 'off topic' thread before being exposed to its heretical content.

In the end, Ian, I am happy to go with whatever you decide.

Thanks for asking.

Peter T

• Agree 1