Off Topic Forum Idea

Admin

I think that the forum thread structure does not allow derailling of all forumite's aviation thoughts. After all one must decide to select an 'off topic' thread before being exposed to its heretical content.

Therein lies the problem; there are one or two so obsessed with having just the information they want, that they will moan and groan until they get it, rather than simply leave their finger off the mouse.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic threads are where people either seek to let off steam, or observe how the other half live, or sometimes just muse over various alternate realities. It also allows a degree of "robust" discussion of the above.

I think you'd find (at least it's my experience) that visits to the off topic thread often occur after a browse of the flying threads turns up nothing of particular interest to that individual, ie, people don't specifically come to the site just to go to the off topic thread. At least I hope not.

Having said that I'm perfectly happy if Admin wants to go the way of VAF forums. Although with VAF forums being US-centric, allowing off topic threads would start World War 3, so I can understand why they don't do it there. Not so much the case here in comparison.

Similar issue over at http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/index.php

"After much debate and consideration, the Management Council has made the decision to terminate the Spin Zone. We are taking this action because the level of discourteous and uncivil behavior has increased, and unfortunately continues to spill over into the aviation related forums. This does not fit the goals of the forum, stated in the Rules of Conduct.

• Show respect at all times.

• Help build the Community.

• Encourage discussion, interest and education in all things aviation.

The Spin Zone was originally instituted to give people a place to discuss controversial topics that other forum members would rather not see on the main board. As previously stated, we have noticed that many of the attitudes and animosities people express in the Spin Zone are carried over onto the main board. That's not to say that there aren't good discussions and posters in the Spin Zone, but baiting, trolling, and personal attacks are entirely too frequent.

The Management Council understands that the nature of some aviation topics is political, and we will allow discussion of these subjects. However, if the thread dissolves into partisan bickering it will be closed. Participants who continually attempt to turn the discussion in that direction will be warned. If the behavior continues they will be suspended. Any threads that we previously would have sent to the Spin Zone will be closed instead.

We will be flipping the switch off on Spin Zone at midnight, January 1, 2016. We are giving Spin Zoners time to decide if they are going to migrate en masse to another site or set up an alternative forum in another place. Please keep these discussions in the Spin Zone. Our decision is unanimous and final."

Looks like the right decision was made here at Recreational Flying by still allowing the Off Topic forum but removing its What's New to its own tab on the What's New page...best of both worlds for everyone...thanks for all your comments, I listened and acted on to try and keep everyone happy...isn't that democratic in a dictatorship 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

• Like 9

People will make off topic posts in the threads anyway.

Novel solution - Just like on the bottom right of any post you have buttons for "like, agree, funny"...etc you could have a "Off Topic" button that anyone reading the thread can press.

After x presses the post can be shrunk to a single line saying "off topic". The post appears in full only if clicked on.

Come to think of it, you could also have a "Moderator please", "I'm offended", "ratbag poster", or a "put in jail" button as well.

Surely this process would lighten the load of the moderator, maybe making the threads self moderating.

You could even put the score in the panel under the forumite's avatar just like you display the number of likes.