Archerfield Engine Failure

hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone who frequents Archerfield knows of a engine failure yesterday. I only live about 4Ks as the crow flies from the airfield and yesterday about 10am saw a 172 fly over. Just as it went overhead it splutterd through out a big pile of black smoke then stopped. I heard it start again shortly afterwards but was running like crap. I did notice it make a beeline for the field.

Just interested to know.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

What could be a cause of what happened. I.e large amount of black smoke then stop. Then on restart running really rough. Would that be a mixture issue being to rich?

• Agree 1

Meh; not Jabiru, not care. 042_hide.gif.f5e8fb1d85d95ffa63d9b5a325bf422e.gif

The forum owner was concerned about off topic responses recently, this is the type of response that should be stopped. If you have nothing of value to contribute to a serious matter, then keep your trap shut. This is one of the biggest problems with RAAus, or at least a perceived problem from those of us outside of RAAus looking to become involved.

BLA82, I think you will find any engine failure will be a routine reportable matter, so keep an eye on the ATSB reports.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 1
  • Caution 1

If you have nothing of value to contribute to a serious matter, then keep your trap shut.

学习瑜伽!!

瑜伽很放松!!!!

瑜伽很不错!!!!!!!!!!!!

What could be a cause of what happened. I.e large amount of black smoke then stop. Then on restart running really rough. Would that be a mixture issue being to rich?

The obvious one sounds like flooding, fuel heating up and shaken causes it to suddenly pressurise while unable to vent fast enough or carby floats faulty, or choke being left on or being applied for whatever reason. Either choke has been turned off again or pressure has relieved itself, engine restarted but plugs a bit clogged up.

Could be ignition failure, but excessive black smoke makes that doubtful.

• Informative 1