Hello & Some RA-Aus advice pleas

APotter

Hi All, I started flight training at Camden back in 1989. Obtained my PPL a few years later. Tried to get airborne again in 2009, passed my medical, got my ASIC etc, etc unfortunately career and life got in the way again.

Now I've just submitted my CASA medical for RPL (car medical) and going to apply for my ASIC after that. Also rejoining RA-Aus after all of the commotion of the recent past seems to have settled.

Was thinking of buying an aircraft so I'd be forced to get out more often. Camden and Wedderburn only 15 minutes away!

A gentleman is advertising an Eagle 150 on the web, low hours and looks the money at $50k ish and say I can register it RA-Aus if I like. As the Eagle 150B's MTOW is 650KG is that even possible?

Any advice would be gratefully welcomed.

Thanks, Adrian

Welcome aboard.

Talk to RAA about the possibility of transferring to RAA register before you go any further. You will have to clip the MTOW back to 600Kg, will that leave you enough useful load to do what you want to do?

Welcome aboard.Talk to RAA about the possibility of transferring to RAA register before you go any further. You will have to clip the MTOW back to 600Kg, will that leave you enough useful load to do what you want to do?

I've heard that CASA may soon approve 150kg increase over the current 600kg MTOW limit- does anyone know if there's any truth in this?

I have read a CASA Discussion Paper dated back in 2008 for a similar increase but was abandoned, perhaps RAA may have pushed again for it?

A gentleman is advertising an Eagle 150 on the web, low hours and looks the money at $50k ish and say I can register it RA-Aus if I like. As the Eagle 150B's MTOW is 650KG is that even possible?

There has been a wealth of experience with these aircraft in WA. They were trialled by CALM,(DPaW) as firespotters but found to have inadequate takeoff performance for summertime work off their forest/hill strips. Then several were placed online as trainers, but again, Jandakot experience was not complimentary to the Eagle - and as a result they were sold off into the private market, (with great difficulty I believe). A local pilot purchased one here for about $35k - flew it for a year - and couldn't sell it quickly enough. No idea what he sold it for, but it wasn't for $50k!

I'd be thinking that if there is likely to be a MTOW 'difficulty' with RAAus registration - that there are other more proven types in the marketplace.

Good luck with your return to aviation. Don't rush into anything btw.

Do some flying across a range of planes first. Do you have an RAA pilot Cert?

You should also check out Dave's Flying School and the Sydney Recreational Flying Club at The Oaks. Both have a lot of maintenance and operational experience on a range of RAA engines and airframes.

Hi there and welcome

I don't know the Eagle but your inquiry got me looking. According to the font of all knowledge, it has a very respectable cruise speed and a stall speed of just 45 knots. It's canard wing at the front has been tried by others and there is even an unusual Cessna sporting one somewhere in Victoria.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Aircraft_Eagle_150

There are a couple of ATSB reports on them, but this one involved 3 of type

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/1999/aair/aair199903333.aspx

Hope this assists

Kaz

• Helpful 1

• 3 weeks later...

There was an Eagle flying on the Gold Coast for a while, It has since worked its way south and was for sale. I understand it could not be flown two up legally under RAA rules. Be very careful and do full diligence first.

Second hand I have been told the canard gives an unwelcome porpoising if flown near the stall. I would check this out as well.