Hello there

Patrick

Hi everyone,

Whilst undergoing Drone licensing recently, it made me realise how much i miss the real thing. Over the years, i've twice started training for my PPL. Like a lot of people here, life got in the way the first time around. The second time saw CASA giving me a hard time over getting my Class 2 medical due to depression and sleep apnea. Both are being treated successfully now but i thought i may go down the recreational path this time as it seems to be cheaper plus the medical requirements seem to be easier.

Just curious if anyone else has had issues with the recreational medical. It seems to me that it's similar to having a drivers licence with no restrictions, as is the case with me? Also wondering how much training is these days?

Thanks,

• 2 months later...

If you are fit enough to hold a current drivers licence, then you are fit to fly under RAAus Recreational Pilot Certificate. However, there are some medical conditions stated in the RAA OPS Manual where you would have to supply a statement from your doctor that you are fit to drive a motor vehicle. Look at https://www.raa.asn.au/storage/annual-medical-declaration-inc-declaration-for-doctor.pdf

Costs of training varies of course, but I guess you can expect between $200 to $250 per hour. That is in a RAA aircraft not GA

Many thanks for your reply Nightmare. Yep, i'll speak to my doctors if need be and get them to supply the necessary documentation. My doctors have never expressed any concerns over my driving and i've always held a full drivers license. Thinking of giving Dave's Flying School a try when it comes time to training. Cheers.

• Like 1

Good luck with it all Patrick. Keep us up to date with your progress. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I might be thinking of another school, but I seem to recall some saying on this forum here somewhere that Dave's Flying School may have closed down around xmas time. I may be getting it confused with someone else, after all, I'm not a Sydney local, I'm in sunny Queensland dodging around Amberley airspace. Hope I'm wrong.