Plane Restoration TV Series

I just recorded a program from the Foxtel History Channel, called Plane Restoration. This episode was entitled Mustang Alley. I only found out about the series today. I believe it is a ten episode series, but I have no idea where in the series today's episode sits, or what other aircraft are to be restored. It was a one hour program, starting at 12:30 pm.

Oh! if only I was rich enough to afford both a aircraft AND a pay TV subscription! 045_beg.gif.b05ea876053438dae8f282faacd973d1.gif

We all have to sacrifice something. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Yep, that's the one. My mistake Resurrection, not Restoration. - Same horse, different jockey. I only watched a bit of it then let it go to the recorder. Good that it's ep 1. Have to record the series.

Yep, that's the one. My mistake Resurrection, not Restoration. - Same horse, different jockey. I only watched a bit of it then let it go to the recorder. Good that it's ep 1. Have to record the series.

Yes I found it on Fox red and I will record the series, good finds mate, thanks.

David

I am that man. It's my series, I hope everyone enjoys it - especially episode six, all about, or at least partially about, Edgar Percival. Happy to answer any questions, or find me on Facebook.

I loved the first episode Nik with the Mustangs.... I look forward to the rest of the series, I believe it is a 10 part series, is that right Nik?

David

I loved the first episode Nik with the Mustangs.... I look forward to the rest of the series, I believe it is a 10 part series, is that right Nik?David

Blush. Thank you. It's only a six part, I think Triplane has just transmitted with you last night - rather eccentric I'd love feedback - a German building a dreidecker in the UK! We've been making it for two years and we are thrilled that History Channel took it. We are desperate to keep it honest and original - not 'reality' with silly false drama, and we are part of the warbird community here so we do our very best to keep it spot on. Hurricane - next weeks episode - was a delight.

When we filmed the end sequence of Ep1 with my long time friend Maurice Hammond, plus Rob Davies, they bothe came down, did a 300mph 50ft pass on the runway, and my cameraman remarked ' my god, we get paid for this too!'

All you Australians will enjoy I hope Ep6, with the Edgar percival story - and SPOILER ALERT - his part in helping DeGaulle escape the Nazis!

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

Nik I really loved it when you got the original pilot Major Bill Price into his old plane and took him for a ride...that was great... and then the work of restoring the Mustang and the engine was just fantastic...what an engineer....wow... like I said great episode Nik...

David

Just watched last nights episode called "Return of the Baron" very nice Nik, I was a little disappointed that we didn't see the Dr's Foker get into the air but what a tremendous effort to build that aircraft from scratch....nice one..

David

Not as disappointed as he is David! - he’s still building it lol. Caught us out tbh, did you mean you watched the actual transmission version? - or one of the download links. I guess you mean the transmission version. The private download version shows him ‘flying’ his plane - it was all set up (but we used the visuals of the other aircraft) while we awaited his build to finish.

Fair play, he is (spoiler warning) a surgeon and the Health Service has been under pressure so he has put work first.

We went to the airfield for a late September shoot - walked in the hangar, saw it had no wings and went ‘oh oh…..’

Desperate scramble then to write a different ending to the episode. Kind of funny now…. but not then as we’d just had to scrap the 109 episode because the owners were in dispute with each other….

Did he come over as slightly bonkers, the irony of the German building the plane in England? He's just a lovely bloke and the plane is brilliant.

Cheers

Nik

Yes watched/recorded it on Foxtel, no I didn't think it strange that he was building a German plane in England just seemed strange that we didn't see him flying it but now that you have explained it I see how it worked out..

David

Hi Nik,

I would love to watch the whole series but am not a Pay TV subscriber - any chance it may come out as a DVD (set)? Or on some other media I can access? iTunes?

Thanks,

Neil

Nik,

Really enjoyed the Fokker DR1 episode. The doctor came across quite well as to his reasons for building. It was interesting watching him apply the Oratex. Hadn't seen it applied before, though I get nervous watching anyone heat shrink with a heat gun. Would much prefer to have seen a calibrated iron in use ... Oh well, also felt for the camera man when the good doctor dropped the tiger moth onto the runway .. Lol

Still was a great episode, thank

Phil

Yes just watched this latest episode on the Hawker Hurricane...what a great story, I loved it... however, I would love to know who was... as Peter Vacher said "the most wonderful person in the UK" that at the last minute bought it....Nik any ideas ????

David

• 3 weeks later...

Last night saw the final episode of Plane Resurrection, featuring the Percival Q6. To be honest, I had not heard of the Q6, and knew very little about Percival Aircraft, although I had heard of the Percival Gull, and Percival Proctor. I thought it was one of many UK aircraft manufacturers, and knew nothing of its founder, Edgar Percival. My bad. For the younger members who may not know, the founder of the company was actually born in Albury, and went to Forte St School in Sydney. He left school at 15. The rest of his story can be read on Wikipedia. Although wartime records are unclear, it is believed the aircraft the subject of the resurrection was used to fly General de Gaulle, later French President, to England ahead of the German advance.

635404353_q6resurrection.JPG.69ee0c6307b8a633442eecf6a1b51779.JPG

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...