Compass swing

The RPN app I have on android is called HP41C, because I cant easily use the ones that are not RPN

I still use the only calculator I've bought - HP21 and it took me 2 weeks to learn how to use - well worth it though

Wished I could have stretched to the HP25 because it had the moon landing program built in

Now back to the astronauts - I doubt they had calculators in their pockets - the HP41 came 10 years later?

http://www.hp41.org/Intro.cfm

maybe referring to the AGC (Apollo Guidance Computer)?

Would a compass even operate on the moon?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a moving liquid iron core the moon has no magnetic field.

The movie Apollo 13 gives a hint about how much mathematics is involved in space travel. Those pioneers must have had training in engineering, ballistics and mathematics far beyond what top pilots need today.

• Like 1

BIG thank you, Jetboy.

That link is fascinating. Will have to pull out my box of HP manual's, plugins, and programs, to see if any of it has survived, being stored away for such a long time.

Every-one thought I was crazy buying such a very expensive calculator, now they're worth as much as the new price,

( so I bought another one, c & cv. )

spacesailor

The first pocket calculator I used at. Work was a Sharp Elsimate in about 1970. It just did add, subtract, multiply, divide and square Root. And had a counter button on the side, for counting sheep and so on. Boss told me if I lost it don't bother coming back to work, but he was like that.

Powerful magnets in a cockpit should not be. Your plastic boy scout's orienteering compass may be all you have to walk out from your plane's unplanned landing in the Mulga. At least have one of those with you. Nev