Suggestions for a Long Weekend North NSW Winery Tour

MarkyMarkOZ

Cessnock is smack in the middle of the Hunter Valley Wineries, but not quite "north" NSW. Plenty of accommodation from caravan parks to Crown Plaza type things. Hot Air balloons aplenty if you want someone else to do the flying (4 were up today when I was driving to the airport). The Hunter Valley Gardens are a hop, skip and a jump away from the airport, as are various desert/gourmet chocolate bar type things.

If you're coming down soon, Maitland has SteamFest on over the 9th/10th April, covering a bunch of different things from steam trains - including the great train race - to old steam traction engines, etc. From Maitland you can get a train into Newcastle for awalk along the foreshore and a fish & chip lunch watching the working harbour, or a dinner at Scratchleys Seafood restaurant (very good, not 'overly' expensive).

• Like 2

Good question. Lots of folks from across the country on here. Be a good thread if folks advertise what's going on in their towns and cities. Fly-ins are good for flying folks but my passengers are not always interested so I'm often off flying on my own.

• Like 1

Popped into Ramblers Toogoolawah for lunch. Call first, so they know you're coming. You may have to hold for a few minutes while drops are completed.

Nothing fancy, good homestyle food at very reasonable prices, maybe even go and jump.

Wander over to Watts Bridge and chat with guys finishing off some homebuilts.

An easy day in the Drifter.

Weather has been too unstable to get far away.

• Like 2

went to a conference at Cessnock last year, stayed at the Crowne Plaza, went to several wineries in the area, also enjoyed the restaurants. Really liked Audrey Wilkinson winery. Went for a flight in Keith McGeachie's Tecnam, with him as instructor -I've only ever flown a Jab. I highly recommend every aspect of this, esp. flying with Keith. There's lot's to do just in Cessnock, I'd go back there. Have fun.

• Like 1

From Brisbane you could do this big circle.. Jimbour house near Dalby used to have a cellar door, but still nice place to fly into for a picnic and enjoy the old world charm. Riversands winery at St George, then across to Stanthorpe and you have a plethora of wineries around that region, into NSW and work your way down the hunter starting at scone and check out a few wineries with airstrips here 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

http://www.transaero.com.au/resources.html links to Victorian places but has a pinned map that could be useful

• Like 2

About 30 years ago I did my last winery tour in the Hunter. My wife is from Greta and she said we must do a tour of local wineries. We began in Pokolbin and had lunch at a winery there, the name of which escapes me but the food was great. She drove and I did the sampling. My problem is that I am unable to do that spitting out thing when it comes to wine tasting. The act of swallowing provides far more satisfaction. I was determined to buy some wine (from my tastings) from some of the wineries we visited. It was a thoroughly enjoyable day although I have little or no recollection of the last several wineries but I awoke the next morning in a not too satisfactory state with about 2 dozen bottles of wine from varying vinyards. Some were quite good but not excellent and others did not cellar well and ended up tasting like vinegar. The most regrettable thing was finding some of the same wines in local wine shops at a cheaper price.

• Like 1

Easy option, set up the camper at your local airfield. You'll get to talk aeroplanes all day, fly whenever the urge hits, and enjoy a quiet night by the fire having a BBQ and a couple of beers. Best thing is roll out of bed at dawn jump In your beloved aircraft and enjoy a sunrise flight.

image.jpeg.5c0f385ebfaec7c3e312af57dc297f80.jpeg

image.jpeg.4334b2549cd683b84891b345007e5657.jpeg

• Like 4

You must go to Mudgee and stay at the Hangar House. http://hangarhouse.com.au Once you land taxi to the house, park your plane in the hangar and your accommodation is right there. Alex and Heath are the perfect hosts and aviation enthusiasts. They lent us their car for the weekend. This place is heaven. The wineries are superb and you don't have to drive miles to get to them. It's the perfect destination for pilots.

Check out my blog for more ideas on where to go http://myflycation.com

• Like 3

For a good Victorian winery visit by air, visit Brown Brothers at Milawa, near Wangaratta. They do food and have their own airstrip. Phone them for permission. The local motel is good and did B and B quality breakfasts, and is only a short walk from the winery, so you can recover there for the flight home. My wife is totally uninterested in flying, but she really enjoyed a visit there. You probably won't save any money buying wine there but you at least get to try before you buy.

Peter

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great replies so far and some good ideas. Thank you! I will keep this itinerary to NSW/QLD and think about a Victorian one later this year perhaps. Thanks to the community for the replies so far. Any more out there?

I'm Victorian and really appreciate our quality wines but I have to say the ports at Seppeltsfield in the Barossa are awesome!

Thank goodness I went by road from Renmark rather than flying AND someone else drove home!

Kaz

Great suggestion and love your blog. Amazing how similar our circumstances are (My better half is the hair dresser too - Can you talk her into being my right seat Navi, please).

You know hairdressers make the best wives! It's a shame your wife is not too keen to fly. When Randy bought his plane I too was a little hesitant, and the comments from my friends did little to calm my nerves as most of them said that they would not go up in a small plane! Tell her not to listen to them. The first thing Randy did to calm me was to buy a cirrus. That parachute has given me an enormous sense of comfort, and I have done the partner in command course in case he becomes incapacitated, so I can pull the chute! But also consider that she may want to remain blissfully unaware, and that's Ok too. The other rationale I considered is that the training for his pilots license was rigorous, they don't give them out like candy. Watching him go through all those check lists and doing all that planning before flight means that safety is utmost. Then there is the weather...be kind to her take her up on calm clear days before you introduce her to those dreadded cross wind landings! I also take a little of the control in the planning as far as where we go. As you will see by my blog, I choose long runways. A long runway gives me comfort! I also pick destinations that I really want to visit. Lastly remind her that the world becomes such a wonderful place when you fly. We have been to places that I could never have dreamed of because we had a plane. Why on earth would I want to miss out on those opportunities! Oh, and never tell her there is no room for her blow drier or hairspray! Happy flying.