Buran barn find

jetjr

What a terrible thing to see just rotting away...and then the shed will collapse and that's it all gone forever...the Ruskies will never let them out of there as they are to embarrassed over them that they never really flew... ah well another piece of history gone...

David

I think it more plausible that the Russians woke up from their "magic spell", deciding that following the crazy Americans was a sure road to madness and ruin. The Amies continued with this mode of transport , costing increasing torrents of dollars and a few lives. The US shuttles are now also abandoned junk in museums while the Russians provide the only viable transport to the International Space Station. Don't "always" be sucked in by Western propaganda. Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Da comrade Don...I would never believe this western propaganda... follow Vlad's teachings they are the way to prosperity, truth and justice for all...

David

They didn't do what they did in Syria for anyone else but themselves, they just wanted to sell more weapons to the world because this is the only way they can make any money at the moment, what better way to display all of their technology than put it all out in front of the worlds media...I believe their weapons sales have gone through the roof....so don't fool yourself that it was anything more than showing off to the world.....Vlad's pockets are getting a bit low lately what better way to top them back up...but maybe I am a western skeptic... Da

David

I could believe many things but, no I don't think that scepticism is your problem. The Americans have not won a war since the West vs Germany thing. The thread that currently runs about "Can't turn, can't....etc" is all you need to know about the US type of technology. The Russians declared their own "No fly" zone over their Syrian operation and US was held in check. The Turks under the lunatic Erdogan will pay heavily for shooting down and murdering the pilot of the Russian fighter. As I have alluded to in my earlier post , the Russians play the long game. Chess players win against fools. Don

PS: I don't know what you mean by Da.

Interesting hangar. The 3rd shuttle was launched as an unmanned test, made one orbit, then returned, put away and was destroyed in a hangar collapse and never seen. Just one question about that. How did it land unmanned with 1980s technology? Non the less, quite interesting.

What a terrible thing to see just rotting away...and then the shed will collapse and that's it all gone forever...the Ruskies will never let them out of there as they are to embarrassed over them that they never really flew... ah well another piece of history gone...David

The shed has already collapsed ... but there are a couple of Buran airframes that escaped to museums ... and for whatever reason they abandoned the program its probably not embarrasment for failing to fly - the single 2 orbit flight of 001 included an autonomous landing in 60km crosswinds with an error from target touchdown measured in under 10m laterally and less than 100m down the runway ... pretty damn impressive in my books.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Further to Kasper's post, from "Space Daily":

"When Buran approached Baikonur Cosmodrome and started landing in 1988, its sensors registered too strong side winds and the robotic system sent the huge machine for another rectangular traffic pattern approach, successfully landing the spacecraft on a second try."

American shuttles were effectively gliders after leaving orbit, with no missed approach option.

• Agree 1

Further to Kasper's post, from "Space Daily":"When Buran approached Baikonur Cosmodrome and started landing in 1988, its sensors registered too strong side winds and the robotic system sent the huge machine for another rectangular traffic pattern approach, successfully landing the spacecraft on a second try."

American shuttles were effectively gliders after leaving orbit, with no missed approach option.

?, I hadn't heard this, and looking at the videos of the landing I'm trying to figure out how it did a 'go round' without the previously removed jet engines in place?

Yes, it started with jets fitted to it, and all test flying was done just like an aeroplane, circuits and all, but when finally launched (unmanned) to orbit, the jets had been removed..

ok-gli2.jpg.674783b19ad4a3a408d755bc32fc7c8c.jpg

What a terrible thing to see just rotting away...and then the shed will collapse and that's it all gone forever...the Ruskies will never let them out of there as they are to embarrassed over them that they never really flew... ah well another piece of history gone...David

I don't think you can really embarrass a Russian over their space legacy:

First artificial sattellite.

First dog in space (it beat the Chimp)

First man in space.

First woman in space (returned to Earth with more space time than the entire compliment of U.S. Astronauts combined).

First space walk.

First space station.

First spacecraft to leave Earth orbit.

First unmanned Lunar (hard) landing.

First Lunar soft landing.

First multi-crew space mission.

First spacecraft to land on Venus.

First spacecraft to enter Lunar orbit.

First in-orbit crew transfer.

First successful automated lunar sample retrieval mission.

First space station to enable dual dockings - just to name a few without going into their ALSE achievements.

Present day - the only way to the ISS is to hitch a ride with them and NASA can't launch a rocket witout Russian first stage booster rockets.

It's hard to embarrass a Russian at the best of times, but good luck to you if you can make them blush over their aerospace achievements.

Cheers, Willie.

• Agree 3
  • Winner 1

Da comrade Don...I would never believe this western propaganda... follow Vlad's teachings they are the way to prosperity, truth and justice for all...David

Some (Chinese) friends of ours just got back from a group tour of New Zealand and we had some time after dinner with them last night.

The main point of conversation was a genuine WTF?? (not how they speak but covers it) about average New Zealanders owning $200 to $400K to their banks for their houses and staring at 20 to 30 years to pay it out.

They were genuinely horrified at the thought and quite happy to note proudly that they all paid their houses out in around 2 to 4 years, and their cars - and everything else for that matter.

The grass isn't always red'er on the other side of the fence.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Ahh, but do they get to live on the typical Ozzy/Kiwi, quarter acre block...?

Not understanding your point, you can live on land or acreage if you want to, most, including me, don't want to. Read up on it, many are revelling in being able to move into the cities currently, they are sociable, civil, happy people and quite happily live in apartments next to each other - not the same culture by a long shot.

And don't let the outside building appearances fool you, they lash out on interior decoration and appliances.

I can't remember the last time I cut grass and I don't want to remember (previously 5 acres in Beenleigh, Brisbane).

• Haha 1

I am finding that 1 sheep per acre is sufficient to remove the mowing need ... and provides quite nice roasts through the year ... though I accept that shearing the little buggers is quite hard work ;-)

though I accept that shearing the little buggers is quite hard work ;-)

Dorpers, the perfect answer for someone who likes the taste of sheep but couldn't be bothered sheering:thumb up:

I am finding that 1 sheep per acre is sufficient to remove the mowing need

I only have a quarter acre - where do I get a quarter sheep? (Will a quarter horse do?)

• Agree 1
  • Haha 3

I only have a quarter acre - where do I get a quarter sheep? (Will a quarter horse do?)

Pygmy goat??? or a small herd of guinea pigs - also quite nice roasted but tend to be 1 per person

Pygmy goat??? or a small herd of guinea pigs - also quite nice roasted but tend to be 1 per person

I appoint you an honorary Chinese.

... though I accept that shearing the little buggers is quite hard work ;-)

Well stop sharing then. Are you Enzed?

• Haha 1

The shed has already collapsed ... but there are a couple of Buran airframes that escaped to museums ... and for whatever reason they abandoned the program its probably not embarrasment for failing to fly - the single 2 orbit flight of 001 included an autonomous landing in 60km crosswinds with an error from target touchdown measured in under 10m laterally and less than 100m down the runway ... pretty damn impressive in my books.

I think they abandoned it for a couple of reasons, the main one being lack of funds, as it was dropped not long after the Soviet Union went broke and dissolved. Also, it was originally designed as a military concept, with potential as a space weapons system to deliver nukes, so they most likely decided there were better ways to do that. There was more to it than just showing the Americans they could build a shuttle as well.

• 3 weeks later...