5 year rubber replacements after motor runs crappy

Byron

Check if you radiator is pressurising rapidly before removing heads. If there is water in a cylinder the condition of the plugs will show it. It all gets pretty clean. Nev

How can I find out more about how to check if the radiator is pressurising? What will this determine? It all gets pretty clean?

Thanks for the suggestions and advice...great stuff. I have a mechanic I know coming tuesday to give it all a look. He has a license to work on small aircraft engines but is currently working on commercial aircraft. I will print out all the comments and show him, I think they are some good ones.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice...great stuff. I have a mechanic I know coming tuesday to give it all a look. He has a license to work on small aircraft engines but is currently working on commercial aircraft. I will print out all the comments and show him, I think they are some good ones.

Here is a video I took today. This engine has made this hissing sound out of cylinder #1 ever since I bought it. Would a leaking head gasket cause this?

Overflow bottle had pressurized I guess and blew a hole out the bottom.IMG_20160410_160629.jpg.2367f52d827fe9b2048416b5bf93f4ec.jpg

Oil leak cylinder #1IMG_20160410_155947.jpg.be58e4779c5b3c06e12bb2df791985a0.jpg

Small leak cylinder #2IMG_20160410_134225.jpg.0c590521a8e8dbb88143f5e51c5278ab.jpg

Cream and water residue on oil cap and in reservoir

IMG_20160410_132921.jpg.0facc4e5258a9eea42333d9a27e2514f.jpg

IMG_20160410_132844.jpg.f70660244affddd31234b3a8f46de520.jpg

IMG_20160410_132912.jpg.9259b67cdf40d09f0d532863a7968d88.jpg

Before going to the effort if pulling things apart. How are the compressions? Turning by hand and also do a leak down. How old is the fuel? Had the same problem with a client who had fuel stored in hangar for a month or 2. Would start and run with choke on only, push choke in and engine would stop! Fresh fuel all fixed!

Needless to say you must drain out the old fuel from carbs etc.

• Caution 1

Before going to the effort if pulling things apart. How are the compressions? Turning by hand and also do a leak down. How old is the fuel? Had the same problem with a client who had fuel stored in hangar for a month or 2. Would start and run with choke on only, push choke in and engine would stop! Fresh fuel all fixed!

Not sure of the compressions, hoping to get that done Tuesday. No risk of old fuel. Brand new fuel in the lines since I replaced them. What is a leak down. Could you provide a link or is this in the maintenance or heavy maintenance manual. I have both downloaded

"Overflow bottle had pressurized I guess and blew a hole out the bottom"

If the overflow bottle does not already have an amount of coolant in it (in other words its empty), the incoming flow of boiling coolant will melt the more flimsy bottles like that.

• Informative 2

Thanks, I can't believe this overflow bottle was used. Does it come this way from the factory?

I expected it to fill up with coolant when I turned the motor off. Should I add some room temp coolant next time?

Thanks, I can't believe this overflow bottle was used. Does it come this way from the factory?I expected it to fill up with coolant when I turned the motor off. Should I add some room temp coolant next time?

Yes, it should be about 1/2 full all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Reading these responses leads me to think that there is a significant amount of self maintenance on these machines.

I am looking at getting into owning one of these drifters, but I am not very mechanically enabled. Are there mechanics for these acft in SE QLD?

If there is lots of self maintenance required, it may be out of my league.

I hope not.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all,Reading these responses leads me to think that there is a significant amount of self maintenance on these machines.

I am looking at getting into owning one of these drifters, but I am not very mechanically enabled. Are there mechanics for these acft in SE QLD?

If there is lots of self maintenance required, it may be out of my league.

I hope not.

That it one of the remaining ideals of rec flying, you can do all your own maintenance, or pay someone else to do it if you wish. Maintenance is required, who does it is up to you.

• 5 months later...