Aircraft down Lancefield Vic

News breaking on Sky News - light aicraft crash reported at Lancefield - emergency services attending. No reports on POB or condition.

• Informative 1

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the Herald-Sun report online":

Witnesses described hearing the sounds of a struggling engine before the light aircraft plummeted into a horse paddock and burst into flames outside Lancefield about 11.30am.

Given that most of us are in the position to identify an aircraft in our area, based even on a few remaining pieces, and often the occupant(s), it's only fair that we do not even suggest who it might be until the name(s) have been confirmed by Police, which will be after the closest relatives have been notified.

While I am a very strong defender of being able to learn something from each and every accident, we can usually start talking about similar examples to the crashed aircraft and even if our ideas don't match what comes out in the final report, we often get several lessons just out of the discussion, but we don't need to know the registration or owner/pilot's identity before the relatives do.

Not so long ago, and I don't think it was on this forum, someone picked up the aircraft registration on a badly damaged aircraft, and published the owner's name. The owner had been nowhere near the aircraft when it crashed, and the report caused severe trauma to his wife and children.

• Agree 15

Steve Edwards, president of the Kyneton Aero Club, which manages Kyneton's airfield, said the local piloting community was close-knit and he did not believe the deceased were from the club.

“It's tragic,” Mr Edwards said.

“It is a tight community up here and I don't believe it is one of ours.”

A spokesman for Riddell Airfield, at Clarkfield, said it was not yet clear where the plane had taken off.

Examine that photo carefully.

1. There are no scrapes and gouges in the ground anywhere in 360 degrees of it, although there's possibly a wheel to the left rear

2. The wing tips and tailplane are in proper relationship with each other.

3. The instrument panel/firewall appears not to have suffered rearward acting force.

I can't see evidence of a "plummeting" motion prior to its reaching the ground. I can't see evidence of a flat spin, either.

I wonder if the aircraft suffered an in-flight fire and the pilot managed to land but was overcome by fumes and not able to escape the aircraft.

OME

Examine that photo carefully.1. There are no scrapes and gouges in the ground anywhere in 360 degrees of it, although there's possibly a wheel to the left rear

2. The wing tips and tailplane are in proper relationship with each other.

3. The instrument panel/firewall appears not to have suffered rearward acting force.

I can't see evidence of a "plummeting" motion prior to its reaching the ground. I can't see evidence of a flat spin, either.

I wonder if the aircraft suffered an in-flight fire and the pilot managed to land but was overcome by fumes and not able to escape the aircraft.

OME

Google earth the location, there is the Clarkfield airfield close to the scene and there is also a private strip not far from Clarkefield. You could almost presume there was a landing sequence of some sort. I know of someone who own's an RV based at the below strip, but in no way am I saying this is the aircraft that was involved. I am simply saying there are two strips close by to the accident scene and there may have been sort of landing sequence.

• Informative 1

A clip from the above report. So sad if it is true. Imagine how the poor woman must have been feeling, waiting and not even able to ask why.

So sad went it goes wrong and innocents are affected.

"A woman believed to be the partner of the passenger of the plane was still waiting at the Sunbury airfield at about 4pm for the plane to return.

She had a young boy with her and it is believed she may not speak English.

The woman is a learner driver and could not drive home without her partner.

Police arrived at the airfield and arranged for a driver to take her and the young boy home."

That article was so insensitive it makes me ill. To mention a pilots arms reaching out of the flames is just unnecessary. It makes me ill just thinking about it. A simple quote " nothing could be done to help the pilot" would suffice

• Agree 7

Video showed a 912 engine and they said it was a Brumby. ABC news interviewed a witness who said it spiralled down in a flat sort of spin. So sounds like some sort of non-engine mechanical failure. Loss of control, not loss of engine.

• Agree 1

stall practice would be at 3000' or higher, surely? Plenty of time to recover. Brumbys are said to have docile stall characteristics, and not enter a flat spin? Especially with an instructor on board, who would be adept at stall recovery. Stall practice gone wrong doesn't seem likely.

• Agree 1