Aircraft down Lancefield Vic

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Piecrust unfortunately when it is an RAA aircraft, and the ATSB don't do the investigation, it is left to the police/coroner and we don't usually get any useful information out of it in.

Having said that I have been pleasantly surprised by the info that the Raa has released to us after the last couple of fatalities and if they keep that up we will be a lot better off.

• Agree 4

Coroner's reports are available in most states after the conclusion of the investigation. The coroners offices have a web site with search ability, usually by name of the deceased. Unfortunately these reports are usually not available until several years after the event.

Video showed a 912 engine and they said it was a Brumby. ABC news interviewed a witness who said it spiralled down in a flat sort of spin. So sounds like some sort of non-engine mechanical failure. Loss of control, not loss of engine.

"I thought it was doing aerobatics and it went into a spiral," Mr Woodroofe said.

"I said to my wife Allison: 'Come and have a look at this'. But she said: 'I don't think that's aerobatics, that plane is in trouble'," he said.

Mr Woodroofe said there was a chance the plane's engine failed.

"It was very quiet when it was spiralling, I think, but I can't be certain," he said.

Yeah unfortunately Mr Woodroofe is not describing an engine failure here. He's describing a spin. Here we go again.

• Agree 1

I can't help wondering about this. I hope it is because I like to think through scenarios and how to recover from them, it is not just morbid interest. With two pilots on board how could it happen? The impact was not immediately fatal , it seems the post-crash fire was probably the cause of death. And why a fire, if switches were off before impact as they should have been? It seems there was plenty of height and time to recover from a loss of control.

Perhaps a mechanical failure of a control surface. Or a pilot incapacitated in a way that interfered with the controls. Impact with an eagle? I really can't think of anything else. A very sad event.

• Caution 2

It sounds like both were experienced pilots and with a relatively late model LSA plane and possibly with the latest 912 injected engine...yes I hope that we can find out the cause of this one and the results made public, was it airframe, engine, human factors, out of all the accidents where an LSA has been involved this is one where we really do need to find out the answer...terrible accident...condolences to the families and friends...

David

• Agree 3

The instructor on board has been named;

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/lancefield-plane-crash-two-people-dead-after-light-plane-disaster-in-macedon-ranges-20160409-go2eeg.html

My instructor - and my friend. A man who always demonstrated the highest levels of airmanship. A man with great patience, and a great teacher. This makes me seriously consider not flying ever again - if a crash can take the lives of two experienced pilots - one with over 20,000 hours and a former airline training captain, then something must have gone seriously wrong.

Rest in Peace my old mate!

My sincere condolences and sympathies to the friends and families of both men.

Mal

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 2

This is just heartbreaking, I pray for that poor lady and her child. Awful situation, and mystifying.

Having read all the news articles and comments here 'Mystifying' is an apt word to describe this one.

- Two pilots, at least one with vast experience.

- Some type of control difficulty from altitude.

- One article mentions a ballistic chute, yet not deployed.

- Circumstances don't match expected outcome from an engine failure.

There appears to be more info that is needed in order to 'join all the dots' on this tragic event.

Can anyone confirm the one media report that this aircraft did have a ballistic chute? The non-deployment of that if the aircraft suffered sustained control difficulties is puzzling.

• Agree 2

Can anyone confirm the one media report that this aircraft did have a ballistic chute? The non-deployment of that if the aircraft suffered sustained control difficulties is puzzling.

I flew this aircraft November last year, and haven't seen it since, but in my memory it does not have a chute. The Texan online at the same school does, so maybe there was some confusion between the two aircraft.

mal

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I flew this aircraft November last year, and haven't seen it since, but in my memory it does not have a chute. The Texan online at the same school does, so maybe there was some confusion between the two aircraft.

mal

I flew this aircraft November last year, and haven't seen it since, but in my memory it does not have a chute. The Texan online at the same school does, so maybe there was some confusion between the two aircraft.mal

Well that would be a 1st, the media not getting the facts right! Given the circumstances if a ballistic chute was fitted, this would have been the perfect time to use it. I did suspect the media report was wrong at this point. We will still look forward to answers on how this did happen. Very sad for everyone.

Terry was my first instructor, he took me on my first flight three weeks ago, and I last flew with him last Sunday.

I was going to fly with him this weekend but got other plans, and planned to catchup with him during the week instead.

I heard about the crash yesterday afternoon, sad news but I didn't have a chance to check it out until last night when I went on this forum, and that was when it hit home.

First with the familiar names of localities, then someone mentioned the Brumby. I only flew in the Texan, but saw (or heard) the Brumby every time I was there.

It might just be a coincidence I thought. Then someone mentioned Penfield.

I clicked on the first link to the Herald Sun before they mentioned any names.

I felt sick, and thought of Terry, assuming that he was as upset as me, as it was two of us.

I texted Terry "Hope you are ok Terry, I just read the news."

Then I clicked on the second link (Canberra Times?) and saw his name...

I just froze... last person I would ever expect..

Terry was a top instructor, he always had time for you. I enjoyed talking to him about many things, from Ansett to German Luftwaffe! He loved his flying.

Rest in peace Terry, you will be missed.

And the student pilot, that could have been me...

My sincere condolences and sympathies to the families of the two pilots, and everyone that are affected by this.

Andy

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1