Tell us about your first solo

Mine was in a trusty old C172 ZS-CZD...sadly last heard it was looking a bit sorry for itself, having been used as a flying test bed for an auto engine...often dreamt of having the money to buy her and restore it to its former glory! Can’t remember a whole lot...maybe that’s a good thing! But do remember getting a big kick from looking at the empty right seat! Gave a cowboy type whoop! 
I see a lot of people were taken by surprise at the weight change, this should have been an important part of a pre solo brief. In the B206 it really was important as the hover attitude is significantly changed. Hovering is challenging, so this can unsettle a student. It will notably change the takeoff and landing too, as you lift or settle, from this different skid/hover attitude. Real reason my hair is now grey! 

• 6 months later...
On 23/02/2020 at 2:54 PM, CAVU Mark said:

I learned in a Cessna 170A. My mates thought I was nuts to learn in a tailwheel aircraft but that's what they did years ago so.... First suggestion to solo by my CFI as he was stepping out of the plane was for me to give it the gas. I wasn't ready that day.

I’ve never understood this gung-ho approach to first solos. I’ve sent many, many people solo. It’s always been a mutual decision, I’ll let the student know when I think they are near the standard and get them to tell me when they feel ready. The odd person will need a bit of encouragement, but I have found this method works. The human factors impact on simply stepping out and saying go for it is irresponsible at best!

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

On 23/2/20 at 3:36 PM, kgwilson said:

Wheelers do seem to be the norm now but there is nothing nicer to watch that a well executed 3 pointer. I think that a lot of newer T/W pilots aren't very good at it so stick with wheeling.

Watch a person who flies a tailwheel aircraft for a living, they always wheel them on. A tail low wheeler doesn't use anymore runway than a three pointer. Yes a good three pointer on a grass runway feels pretty good. Every landing I do try, I might just be a bit slow at learning 😁 I try to land on centreline, on the spot where I'll roll through to taxi off without braking. Last of all I try to get a smooth touchdown at the slowest possible speed, a tailwheel low wheeler. At a guess I'd say maybe 175,000 landings, maybe six what I'd call perfect landings. Maybe I need some dual with you Nev? 🤓

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Roundsounds said:

… The human factors impact on simply stepping out and saying go for it is irresponsible at best!

That’s exactly how my first solo happened: no warning, he just got out, said go for it and closed the canopy. I hadn’t yet done stalls and incipients, etc. but survived the ride. That instructor’s approach led to disaster for a later student and the aircraft. 

The first solo has changed a lot over the years, olden days it wasn't unheard of to solo with 3 hours. When I learnt about 10 hours was the norm, now 20? When I learnt the instructors were hour building for airlines and not interested in in the students progress, one of mine used to read a book and smoke most of my training. It's also common now to milk the student all you can, 40 or 50 hours before solo is also common. As usual there has to be a middle road, find a career instructor who cares about the job rather than just adding hours and maximizing the flight school income. Are they still around?

Solo is a step in many towards gaining a license, an important one yes but just another step.

• Like 1

The "sprung on without warning" first solo belongs to a long past era of playing God. and Russian Roulette at the same time, with the student.

SP I did virtually ALL landings as 3 pointers from day one as getting a steerable tailwheel on the ground stopped a bounce and also worked with faster planes with too small a rudder to get positive steering after landing.

Where I flew from was a smaller than normal field, District park Newcastle.  Even when I did my Commercial flight test and was asked by the testing officer to do a wheeler I had to try hard to do something I really never did. We were obsessed with NOT ground looping. To date I haven't but have been very close with some students as you have to let them go so they KNOW it's going to be serious if something wasn't done about it .

Life long I've flared lower and more positively than most do. I don't like the "floating floating. the ground MUST be down there, somewhere" thing. THAT means don't carry too much excess speed.  Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 years later...

did my 1st solo yesterday.  in a technam p92.  the instructor stayed with me for 4 circuits then jumped out and said do one good landing and bring her in .

i did 3 good landings before he called me in. i wanted to keep going, i think i was in disbelief that i was solo.  took 27 hours because of the large gaps in my training. got there in the end.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 6

You should have done EXACTLY what your Instructor said. HE would have had a reason. Also were you warned the Plane would fly differently at the lighter weight and balance situation you are in for the first time?  It CAN be a very significant change from what you are used to.  Nev

• Like 1

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

You should have done EXACTLY what your Instructor said. HE would have had a reason. Also were you warned the Plane would fly differently at the lighter weight and balance situation you are in for the first time?  It CAN be a very significant change from what you are used to.  Nev

i did do exactly as he said

• Informative 1

yes nev, he did warn me about the change in weight. he said do one good landing and bring her in. it still had plenty of fuel and i said i wasn't happy with first 3 landings so technically i did what i was told.😀

• Informative 1

5 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

yes nev, he did warn me about the change in weight. he said do one good landing and bring her in. it still had plenty of fuel and i said i wasn't happy with first 3 landings so technically i did what i was told.😀

Which post reads correct, this is yesterdays; being happy with the landings? "i did 3 good landings before he called me in. i wanted to keep going".  All good, just a little confused.  Cheers and enjoy next solo.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, facthunter said:

One "first" solo is all you get. it's NOT come back in when you are Happy. Nev

geez your a hard task master nev.  i won't do it again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Blueadventures said:

Which post reads correct, this is yesterdays; being happy with the landings? "i did 3 good landings before he called me in. i wanted to keep going".  All good, just a little confused.  Cheers and enjoy next solo.

the landings were good. no bounces, kept the nosewheel off the ground. mind you it was a perfect morning with no wind.

• Like 1

Mine was in a good old Aunty C172. Looked at the empty set next to me on downwind....gave it a slap and let out a quick whoop! The C172, always have a soft spot for her! Flew two types in the military....for which there were no dual trainers, but they said, like riding a bicycle...😬...😬

• Like 1

I looked back at all posts in this topic and realised I hadn't posted about my first solo, although I have commented on navex's.  Mine was quite uneventful. First up, 3 or 4 circuits with the instructor, told to do a full stop and pull aside. He jumps out, "Do one circuit and come back here." Certainly noticed the effect of the lighter weight, but nothing else that sticks in the memory.

Location:  Moorabbin Airport.  Year: 1968.  Aircraft:  Beech B19 Sport, baby brother of the Musketeer.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1