Microair experience

Russ

5 weeks ago, other "traffic" complain about my seriously unreadable transmissions ( turns out 3 others )

As it was multiple complaints i reluctantly concluded, it was me, not them.

Ok....rip out the radio, take it into major national aviation service provider, tech says, sorry sir we cannot help you, after trying to squeeze out why, he reluctantly alluded perhaps buy another branded radio. ( read into that as you will )

Ok....rang another mob, same answer, sorry we don't service microair products.

This time i bundle it up, and post it to microair......week and a bit later i ph.....hows my repairs folks....sorry sir we have been unable to look at it, and it may be another week plus, before we can. You must be bloody joking folks, sorry pal our techs are all away, ok i says courier it to them, i'll pay, sorry sir can't do, Ok.......can i get a loan radio, i'll pay for it........sorry, can't do that either.

So i'm now stuffed.......wait is the only answer.

Next day, get ph call .......we have got tech coming in to look at your radio, later in the day i get email to pay several hundred dollars before return.........no problem there, i pay it.

Get email again, unit will be despatched monday........bewdy

Wednesday nothing yet turns up, rang microair 9....repeat 9 times, every time the line was engaged, no message bank, nothing to lodge for them to followup.

Today 9am, to 9.20am........same same, engaged.

I then recalled last weeks ph call from them was from a mobile......bewdy, i trace it, give it a call, it too does not answer......but takes messages, i leave one.

11am, i get call from microair.......their phs are down, they didn't know....( any business that get's no ph calls in

1.5 days, wouldn't you begin to think.......why ) so microair now tells me,my radio was despatched yesterday

( wed )......hangon i says, i've got mail from you that it was posted monday.......silence.

just sayin folks........just sayin...........Grrrrrrrrr

A good example of pixx poor service. I had a radio query & emailed them & they got right back, then I phoned and they were very helpful. They even offered to fix my perceived problem free as the radio was out of warranty so long as I paid the freight. I eventually determined that the fault was in fact the nut behind the wheel but had no complaints about their service. I don't know how many staff Microair has but I'd guess only a few. When 1 or 2 go on leave at the same time this can cause a major void. That said there is no excuse for not covering the roles in the organisation when some are not there & also no excuse for BS.

• Informative 1

5 weeks ago, other "traffic" complain about my seriously unreadable transmissions ( turns out 3 others )As it was multiple complaints i reluctantly concluded, it was me, not them.

Ok....rip out the radio, take it into major national aviation service provider, tech says, sorry sir we cannot help you, after trying to squeeze out why, he reluctantly alluded perhaps buy another branded radio. ( read into that as you will )

Ok....rang another mob, same answer, sorry we don't service microair products.

This time i bundle it up, and post it to microair......week and a bit later i ph.....hows my repairs folks....sorry sir we have been unable to look at it, and it may be another week plus, before we can. You must be bloody joking folks, sorry pal our techs are all away, ok i says courier it to them, i'll pay, sorry sir can't do, Ok.......can i get a loan radio, i'll pay for it........sorry, can't do that either.

So i'm now stuffed.......wait is the only answer.

Next day, get ph call .......we have got tech coming in to look at your radio, later in the day i get email to pay several hundred dollars before return.........no problem there, i pay it.

Get email again, unit will be despatched monday........bewdy

Wednesday nothing yet turns up, rang microair 9....repeat 9 times, every time the line was engaged, no message bank, nothing to lodge for them to followup.

Today 9am, to 9.20am........same same, engaged.

I then recalled last weeks ph call from them was from a mobile......bewdy, i trace it, give it a call, it too does not answer......but takes messages, i leave one.

11am, i get call from microair.......their phs are down, they didn't know....( any business that get's no ph calls in

1.5 days, wouldn't you begin to think.......why ) so microair now tells me,my radio was despatched yesterday

( wed )......hangon i says, i've got mail from you that it was posted monday.......silence.

just sayin folks........just sayin...........Grrrrrrrrr

So you are just sayin that all these mobs are all b*st#rds? Maybe I should trade in my electrician's licence and become an comms-electro-tech LAME.

Microair M760 Rev Q is $879.00 US on Spruce so significantly less expensive. The Garmin has some better features & good if you use Garmin GPS but is a different plan form so fitting it to an existing panel may be an issue.

So you are just sayin that all these mobs are all b*st#rds? Maybe I should trade in my electrician's licence and become an comms-electro-tech LAME.

This is more a case of what happens when you release a faulty product, the support channel falls over and no one wants to answer the phone because its just going to be another unhappy customer with a complaint...

Microair M760 Rev Q is $879.00 US on Spruce so significantly less expensive. The Garmin has some better features & good if you use Garmin GPS but is a different plan form so fitting it to an existing panel may be an issue.

Sorry I compared the Spruce price for the garmin in AUD with the microair price on their website and figured that is was not that different. $1485 (Garmin) vs $1350(Microair) both without GST. The spruce price for the microair is pretty good in comparison.

The sound quality of the Garmin is great.

Not saying that...sorry, just sharing a "dealing"..........that went a little pearshaped. Hopefully they address moving on......

Had a few trike friends with Rev Q Microair radios and they all had problems with them. The Rev Q was the first to have a digital connection to upload/download frequencies via RS-232. IMO, something went wrong with the design and it used to get lots of feedback when transmitting.

• Caution 1

The Xcom guys will make it for you. if they dont have it in stock. They also will make complete harnesses for your type of aircraft and if you want to add a UHF cb etc or other type of radio into the system

Got that kit sitting here beside my desk....Tell me again, when did you say you were coming to visit?

I got a rev P, service has been pretty good, had an older model, all upgraded and sent back

Microair are one of the few to do dual channel monitoring and be able to tune to tune to wider range of freq for awis etc

Not perfect but ok value

• Agree 2

I appreciate having local manufacture and use only locally built aircraft in our school.

Our Microair gear has given good service.

It is good to have manufacturer service available and I have, to date, found their service to be quite satisfactory.

Lets call it, one vote on the positive side.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

In a previous discussion about this same topic I have mentioned that Gundy had trouble with his Microair radio in his Savannah at Natfly. Sue and the crew on the Jabiru site pulled a brand new one out of the box still in the foil and loaned it to him to get home to Gladstone. That is real local service, went way out of their way. He had a good run out of his Xcom replacement, not sure what became of his Microair.

kyle..........those xcoms, same hole size yes, however, are the 4 securing holes same exact as the 760.

Shot mail to xcom guy, i asked could they make adaptor loom ( 760 ) to xcom.........answer was replace the loom...everything. ( not compatable )......figured it would be easy ??

Nah you can make a adapter cable no problem. Maybe they dont wont to..its a bit fiddly but not hard. Commercially the cost might be just under a whole new harness. But its pretty easy to match up what pin goes to where and just get a set of db15 connectors. The radio will go in the hole they are a std size and for the screws.

you can use the same connector for either radio by leaving out a couple of pins that are not essential.

long story but mate has one of each and they both go belly up regularly so he refits the spare while i deal to the victim.

i have a dead transponder to play with too. If i could get the proper service data for them it would be worth a look otherwise i'll be stripping it for the knobs and box.

If you do order the xcom, tell them to send you the screws too, just ridiculous that they send out a kit with no fixings. They didn't even send the mounting screws that come from electrophone with the UHF.