Thinking about this one...

benjam

Morning all,

I am new to this forum and pastime.

I am considering getting into this style of aviation (with my wife's blessing!).

I have found this airframe for sale:

Rego 55-0746

While the seller may be on this forum, I was hoping for a brief background/ history and location before I make contact.

Also, are these things exxy to maintain? They look like fun and I cant wait to have a go, but am wary about the ongoing costs that could be involved.

Cheers, Ben

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks to be an approved Drifter with full dual controls, so yes you can learn in it (you can also put it 'on line' and have it earn it's keep).

You WILL have to keep it 'under cover' at least, a hangar would be better.

Drifter's are fairly easy to maintain, everything is out in the open, it is a two stroke so you will need to become aware of their operating requirements.

That said, the advert does say the engine has done 865 hours(?) which would preclude it from being used in a school, as these engines only have a certified life of 300 hours.

The use 'on condition' system is still a bit vague, but I dare say you will still be able to be taught in it, providing the instructor is willing to fly it.

A replacement engine will set you back around the $7~8k range, but if the original motor is running OK, you could sell it for around $1~1.5k.

$19900 isn't too bad, although with those engine hours, even with aircraft fitted out as well as it is, $18k is probably closer to the mark...

• Agree 2

Regarding the engine condition, that is where I was headed, thoughts wise. Also the replacement engine would most likely be a blue top not a grey top. I'm not sure a grey top can be had anymore. I personally would be looking to find someone to take the old engine off my hands and see what I could get for it.

The drifter 582 plans for around 20 litres an hour burn plus oil and it will run on ethanol free regular unleaded (car petrol) up to 300 hours TBO no problem. Some clubs require premium fuel but it does not appear to affect performance either way. Hot climates will benefit from a bigger engine knocking margin at full power on premium fuel.

Thanks for your responses.

I am in north Brisbane, so would be looking at Redcliffe, Caboolture, Gympie and Kilcoy for storage, depending on value/costs.

I already have a pilots licence, so I hope the conversion to type will be reasonably painless.

We are still in the reseach phase to see if this is do-able.

I can't seem to find any info on replacement parts or mechanic services. Do they exist? From where would I source a new motor?

• Informative 1

At the moment, parts will be a little hard to come by, although most parts can be fabricated by anyone with a bit of engineering know how.

Rotax engines available from;

http://www.bertfloodimports.com.au/contact.html

Do you have any tail wheel time in GA?

Not a huge deal with a drifter as it's almost not a taildragger, being fairly benign on the ground.

• Agree 3

The best way to fix a high hours 582 is to get a new one. If you operate it properly you will get about 500 hours of reliable operation of which 300 will be legal for training. When you get a new one everything is included Carbs Exhaust system, ignition etc. Works out at about $20 /hr. There are 2 Drifters, Strut Braced and Wire Braced in two seat form Nev

Thanks for the info.

No. No taildragger time.

I understand that this hobby would have its costs, but one thing I am not after is a bottomless money vaccuum. If there are no readily available parts or service outlets, is it a dead end?

What about the Dalby factory? I cant find any up to date info on that. Has it closed? Can I buy a new one of these acft anywhere?

All the info I am sorting through seems to be years old.

It's cheaper to buy new. $20 per hour isn't much for total amortisation of engine. The 582 is the only Rotax of the original range of their two strokes available new. Don't bother with anything else. No one is set up to do it. Nev

Guest Andys@coffs
Would a professional engine overhaul reset the 300 hours or does it have to be from new?

I thought that way and spent about 85% of the cost of a new engine, for a professional rebuild.....The only new thing I got was a headache and a few engine failure for real landings.....oh the Headache followed the landings not the other way around..... There was exactly zero professional interest in the job once the Credit Card had been invoked first time around......

I sure saved the 15%, but only got to 2% of the expected engine life before it was game over........which to me clarified the when is a saving not a saving conundrum......

Andy

I thought that way and spent about 85% of the cost of a new engine, for a professional rebuild.....The only new thing I got was a headache and a few engine failure for real landings.....oh the Headache followed the landings not the other way around..... There was exactly zero professional interest in the job once the Credit Card had been invoked first time around......I sure saved the 15%, but only got to 2% of the expected engine life before it was game over........which to me clarified the when is a saving not a saving conundrum......

Andy

And people may be able to reduce the 15% amount by sell off the old engine or some of its parts??

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I have recommended to quite a few to go new and I don't think any have regretted it. Rebuild can be false economy, and It's YOUR neck involved. Learn to look after your new engine. (No stale fuel for a start, and I wouldn't run 91) Nev

• Agree 1

G'day Ben - I am in the process of changing over motors from an out of hours grey head to a 500 hour (from new) blue head, sourced from Trevor Bange at Clifton. Trevor is one of the true legends of Drifter flying/training - the guys at Gympie have an excellent reputation too...he runs brand new motors for 500 hours in his two WBs then sells them on for a "very good price".

$20k is a lot of moolah considering the $8k you would need to spend to make the aircraft legal for training, but you will get a hell of a lot of aeroplane for your money - they are becoming rare too. Having said that, the end result will be an aircraft that can earn some bucks in the training arena.

Speaking of training, I was under the impression that schools prefer wire braced aircraft over strutters - something to do with the bracing of the wing being more 'comprehensive' with the wires supporting the wing from both top and bottom - having said that, I don't see any reason for not using a strutter for training, they are different to fly though - amazing how the removal of all those wires makes a Drifter so slippery...

My aircraft (25-0455) is currently housed at Boonah but I'm hoping to bring her home one day soon - waiting for the grass to grow on my new little 'scary' airfield at Woolooman (look up 620 Woolooman Road on Google Earth). The airfield is not showing up yet until the satellites take some new pix, but the strip runs north/south and is situated south of the house - I suppose I should take some pix and post them here considering I am planning a Drifter weekend (with the world's biggest firepit) in 2017.

Any time you're around Boonah give me a ring (pm me for number) and I'll introduce you to the guys at the Flying Tigers club, there's some Drifter connections there that go back a long way.

Cheers,

Boleropilot (Dave) aka Cropduster Dave

PS

forgot to mention you can "fly" the Drifter on Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX) - let me know if you're interested...

• Like 2

Oh yeah Mr Newberry, I forgot to mention the 'waiting list' - young Trev taught me to fly (why he got grey hair sooner than he expected) so there is a little priority for me there...btw an engineer friend (not aircraft but very experienced) did all the measurements for me on the motor and I am happy to report that all were well within specs.

I have had some people say to me "crikey, you're game, those motors spend hours on full throttle climbing out in the circuit and then a lot of time at idle from the end of the downwind leg", and I get that, but my motor is (almost) as good as new, definitely so in relation to the measurements.

Hopefully 0455 will be airborne soon, but not until I'm current again with a BFR (more grey hair for Trev...)

BP

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

I intend going to Gympie this weekend to introduce myself and have my first flight in a drifter.

I am also considering the trike option (at Caboolture), and still have not yet made up my mind as to which way to go. I was going to wait until after the two trial flights to see how it all went.

You make a good point about the WB airframe for training. My only reason to prefer a SB is I think they look better.

I read another post in this site where there guy had bought a drifter and after a short time it was in pieces and not flying. That is not my aim in taking up this hobby, and I am wary of buying something that has that potential - no parts, becoming rarer, DIY repairs, etc.

But it seems to be a friendly and inclusive community, and I appreciate the welcome and advice that I have received on this forum.

Cheers,

Ben