Another NEW Savannah S on it's way in NZ

IBob

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found the pic . This is how it was supposed to be once I found the correct rivets[ATTACH=full]42954[/ATTACH]

Thanks, Mark. Y'know, you made such a complete photo record, nobody may ever start another one!

Right, shall email Reg.

Keep looking Bob, they will be in there, a small plastic bag of countersunk a4 rivets can be hard to find, they are usually in the same box as the big bag of a4 domed. There should also be a smaller bag of a5, also small bags of a3, a bag of a5 countersunk, a bag of a5 longer rivets, a bag of large head black painted rivets, and a bag of a5 stainless steel, so if you find any of those the the countersunk ones you're after will be there too.

Keep looking Bob, they will be in there, a small plastic bag of countersunk a4 rivets can be hard to find, they are usually in the same box as the big bag of a4 domed. There should also be a smaller bag of a5, also small bags of a3, a bag of a5 countersunk, a bag of a5 longer rivets, a bag of large head black painted rivets, and a bag of a5 stainless steel so if you find any of those the the countersunk ones you're after will be there too.

Thanks, Rick. I think I have all those, though I will check. I've spent hours looking, and I have all the smaller stuff spread out and quite easy to search.

What I am looking for are countersink A3. Seems most never find them, but some do!

Just to further confuse the issue: the manual shows csk in the diagram, and specifically tells you csk also.

But the pic in the manual shows dome heads in csk holes.

Anyway, I shall get some if I have to.

Sadly, I must work tomorrow, so it'll have to wait until Wednesday.

Thanks, Rick. I think I have all those, though I will check. I've spent hours looking, and I have all the smaller stuff spread out and quite easy to search.What I am looking for are countersink A3. Seems most never find them, but some do!

Yes of course, there are no a3 countersunk , I usually drill them out to 1/8 and use the a4 countersunk.

Hey Bob,

A good organisational idea is to pin up all those little bags of bits on a pin up board, so they are all immediately visible and secure so you don't have to sort thru boxes or whatever, just a tip that works for me.

Thanks Rick, that's certainly another option.

And I was going to put all those little bags into some sort of file tray, but I think I like your idea better.

I'd have to say that ICP have made a good job of securely bagging and marking them, from what I've seen so far.

The countersunk rivet heads must be used because the face of of the part they get riveted into has to sit flush against another part so they do have to be countersunk

I understand that. Had lots in my own plane, both `pop' and standard rivets in countersunk or dimpled holes. Just had some concerns about using countersunk head rivets made with a hammer. Holding a nutplate in position may not be too risky, but you would never want to use them in a critical application (ie. just about anywhere else).

rgmwa

My Savannah S kit had the countersunk, or flush rivets... small bag, had to dig all the boxes. I found mine at the bottom of the smaller box that contained the pitot system... Good luck!

My Savannah S kit had the countersunk, or flush rivets... small bag, had to dig all the boxes. I found mine at the bottom of the smaller box that contained the pitot system... Good luck!

Were they 3/32"(A3) countersunk? I have only encountered 1/8"(A4) and 5/32"(A5) countersunk.

Thanks, MC. I don't seem to have a smaller box containing a pitot system, do you mean the instruments or the tube?

After some searching, I found what may be the pitot tube, loose bundled with various other pipes, part No 9SF621, which I cannot reference, so far.

Thanks, MC. I don't seem to have a smaller box containing a pitot system, do you mean the instruments or the tube?After some searching, I found what may be the pitot tube, loose bundled with various other pipes, part No 9SF621, which I cannot reference, so far.

The other pipes with it are fuel tubes.

I was talking about the line curled up in the bottom of the box... I had four cardboard boxes in my crate. One was all the little parts for the fuselage and was labeled "fuseleio" or something Italian like that ;-) The second box contained the brake system, tire tubes, seat belts, etc. The third box contained the boot for the control stick, electric flap motor, etc. The fourth box had the other little bags of rivets, bags of nuts and bolts, pitot tube, etc. Although I'm sure its certainly possible, every time I get frustrated and think something is missing, I find it :)

I was talking about the line curled up in the bottom of the box... I had four cardboard boxes in my crate. One was all the little parts for the fuselage and was labeled "fuseleio" or something Italian like that ;-) The second box contained the brake system, tire tubes, seat belts, etc. The third box contained the boot for the control stick, electric flap motor, etc. The fourth box had the other little bags of rivets, bags of nuts and bolts, pitot tube, etc. Although I'm sure its certainly possible, every time I get frustrated and think something is missing, I find it :)

Ah, okay. I went through the boxes again after your msg...no joy.

And yes, it takes a while to find things, for sure...but then it's almost impossible, I would say, to pack a kit of so many parts tightly economically otherwise. And what I'm liking is how well everything is marked with part numbers.

How far on is your build???

As we all know, the construction manual really stinks but the aircraft is a sweeheart and the kit is really impressive. All the parts are labeled, bundled together, and designed in a way that things can only go one way. Now if only I wouldn't spend hours trying to find an odd part, decipher the cryptic manual, or figure out how to do things like "install wing tip." 063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif007_rofl.gif.8af89c0b42f3963e93a968664723a160.gif So far I've gotten the tail feathers and wings done, now I'm working on the fuselage. You can check out my build progress on www.mykitlog.com/mcrowley

As we all know, the construction manual really stinks

It is not that bad, but it does need someone who speaks English to work through it. It is much improved on the Savannah classic manual. Since BRM stole the savannah classic plans, and manuals on a CD the company are not very keen to let a third party loose on an editable copy of their current manuals.

It is not that bad, but it does need someone who speaks English to work through it. It is much improved on the Savannah classic manual. Since BRM stole the savannah classic plans, and manuals on a CD the company are not very keen to let a third party loose on an editable copy of their current manuals.

rankamateur, are you building the S model?

figure out how to do things like "install wing tip." 063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif007_rofl.gif.8af89c0b42f3963e93a968664723a160.gif So far I've gotten the tail feathers and wings done, now I'm working on the fuselage. You can check out my build progress on www.mykitlog.com/mcrowley

Do you have the one piece fiberglass wing tip. Mine is the last of the multi piece fiberglass and aluminium one and they may be what is described in your manual. The upgraded wing tip is probably a little bit lighter weight wise but otherwise is not an UPgrade at all.

rankamateur, are you building the S model?

Yes, my kit was delivered Jun 2013, just before the Jul2013 manual revision. I had the same problem as you with my kit having new parts which were not in my manual.

I am about to hang my engine, paint the wings and apply for a registration number.

20160215_154358.jpg.e2ffa6bb6b2aefef7d09fd929170f5ee.jpg

Photo0003.jpg.5301ff02327ae5593af071017630110c.jpg

• Winner 1

Yes, I have the one piece wing tip. That kinda makes my point about the manual. My kit has the one piece wing tip, the new plumbing that simply joins the long range tanks to the nearest inboard tank, the new vent line for the collector tank, and the extended baggage compartment. The manual simply states "install wing tip" without offering any tips on how to do it. I did the first one in two days, the second one in 30 minutes. The new tank plumbing isn't in the manual at all, other material is scattered across three different sections, the references to various chapters, page numbers, and illustrations are usually inaccurate, and the master list of components is missing many of the parts. It seems to me that ICP has done an outstanding job of listening to pilots and updating the design, making it better and better. What puzzles me is why they don't do the same for the construction manual. Many of my pages are dated 2010... The good news is that the kit design, organization, and fabrication is fantastic and Valter della Nebbia here in Texas is an easy, helpful friend to reach out to at any time. More than a salesman, he is also a very experienced pilot (former NATO fighter pilot), builder, and superb instructor. He has been an excellent source for advice not only on construction but also in deciding which features and equipment to install based on the mission profile you desire.

Yes, my kit was delivered Jun 2013, just before the Jul2013 manual revision. I had the same problem as you with my kit having new parts which were not in my manual.I am about to hang my engine, paint the wings and apply for a registration number.

[ATTACH=full]42997[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]42998[/ATTACH]

Looks fantastic! I love how the Savannah flies, I get an hour of transition training with Valter every month or so just to keep the fires stoked hot! I've read your post elsewhere, but I've forgotten... what is the treatment you have given the rows of rivets?