Savannah forced landing.

Friend had to make an unscheduled field landing when the control stick began shaking quite badly.

As you can see from the aerial shot, he landed on the tractor tramlines, expecting the green stuff to be a little soft. It was actually quite firm, and he taxied the aircraft to teh edge of the field for tied down.

Reason for stick shaking was that the left side elevator trim actuator had failed, leading to control surface flutter. He said that this occurred during cruise, and that it "Nearly shook the stick out of my hand"

Fortunately, there is no other damage and the aircraft is secured. Shame it's around 110 nm away from base !

He reckons the replacement part is around £165.00 . . .

196886464_SAVY-3.jpg.f338e0e36c5de2ba010cedb694405cce.jpg

180997192_SAVY-1.jpg.42c96563aac5633a1ae6b2b8a24bafd8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

Interesting, I have a savannah in my hangar I'm doing some work on, I have noticed that trim tab has a lot of play, I will be investigating further of course. Your post is quite timely. It appears that it is loose on the actuator pivot.

Great result. Nice to see an undamaged aircraft following an unscheduled return to Earth!

Friend Chris ( the solo pilot in this case ) said that he pullled the throttle to idle the moment the stick started shaing violently and VERY gingerly placed the aircraft in the centre of the large field, as he could see some power line poles around the edge. He was very gentle on the controls as he initially thought he'd lost a piece of the aircraft !

He commented that he was glad he was wearing his brown cord shorts at the time. . . .

I've offered to drive him back to the site with the new parts and tools, but he's already got that covered. As you say Marty, a good result. Good decision NOT to attempt a return to the closest airfield some 20 Nm away.