Just landed from Nz

Guest Pioneer200

Guest Pioneer200

Hi have just become member of this fantastic flying website

I live in Ashburton which is a town of 15000 about one hour south of Christchurch

I have been flying only about 1 year and currently fly Alpi Pioneer 200 at local club

Nice wee aeroplane but unfortunatly it is out of action at this time as it had undercarriage collapse on landing at a farmers local strip

Club also has Jabiru J160 but have not enjoyed flying this as much(am used to the old stick between the legs)

Am hanging out for Pioneer to get back into air!!!!

Ps My instructor has recently recieved his new Pioneer 300 hawk(glass Cockpit)..... stunning wee plane!!

Good to have you on board Pioneer200. My wife and I will be flying into NZCH this Tuesday for a wee holiday. Hoping for fantastic weather on Thursday as we are hiring a 172 with instructor/tour guide (Cassie) from Canterbury Aviation for a 6.5hr flight around the alps, glaciers, fiordland, Milford and Doubtful Sounds, Qtown, Te Anau, hydro lakes, Timaru, CH. Can't wait keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif. Have been studying the VNCs of the SI, the terrain is just awesome, nothing here compares, almost the whole island looks like "tiger country". One can see why mountain flying in NZ is a skill all of its own. Like we'll be passing close by Mt Cook and at A100 there's still 2316' towering above us. Wow!!

From a local's perspective, how's the weather shaping up for then? Please say calm and cloudless all day all over ... that's not asking too much is it?

Got any good tips for what to see and do or what not to see or do while tripping around the SI? We have 18 days to take it in.

Paul

Kiora ! if thats the way to spell it,, Welcome. I have rellies in THE NORTH Island, ( the mainland ) Doug. Been and worked over there many times in the past, but never made it to the south..good to have you aboard, talk later. Lance.

Guest Pioneer200

Hi , we have been having lots of norwest winds last few weeks so hope these are not around when you here. Southern Alps not place to be in these as lots of gulleys producing up and down drafts!!!

Yes you will be blown away by scenery, nice places to call into are Omarama(about half hour from mt cook) also if you had time fly south west another hour and go to Wanaka or Queenstown...MAGIC SCENERY HAVE FUN

• 2 weeks later...