Rasberry Pi ADS-B receiver experiences?

"We want safer aviation be we're not prepared to endorse or try anything new!"........Oh the irony....

The issue I have is anyone with SkyView or a G3X system (lots of people, I think...) could have full, proper ADS-B out for under $1,000 if CASA would permit the use of the SV-GPS-2020 or Garmin GPS-20A antennas as the GNSS position source. The frustrating thing from my point of view is the FAA readily approves and encourages this stance - and they are the country that invented the bloody TSO's! Even the Poms trialled and recommend that policy after finding the Garmin/Dynon sources outperformed TSO'd GPS' like the GNS430.
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue I have is anyone with SkyView or a G3X system (lots of people, I think...) could have full, proper ADS-B out for under $1,000 if CASA would permit the use of the SV-GPS-2020 or Garmin GPS-20A antennas as the GNSS position source. The frustrating thing from my point of view is the FAA readily approves and encourages this stance - and they are the country that invented the bloody TSO's! Even the Poms trialled and recommend that policy after finding the Garmin/Dynon sources outperformed TSO'd GPS' like the GNS430.

WOW! I've got a skyview but didn't know that!

My point exactly. Aviation safety needs to move forward. Absolute perfection is not needed, it just needs to be better than previously..

WOW! I've got a skyview but didn't know that!My point exactly. Aviation safety needs to move forward. Absolute perfection is not needed, it just needs to be better than previously..

Well, you need their transponder too, which isn't cheap, but I made the assumption that anyone with such a system would already have the transponder. I installed a GPS-2020 and if I have it setup properly per the manual, would show up on TAAATS as an ADS-B paint, but I have to have it setup incorrectly to ensure compliance with CAO20.18 as the GNSS source is not approved by CASA and doesn't meet the relevant TSO. 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

• Agree 1

Well, you need their transponder too, which isn't cheap, but I made the assumption that anyone with such a system would already have the transponder. I installed a GPS-2020 and if I have it setup properly per the manual, would show up on TAAATS as an ADS-B paint, but I have to have it setup incorrectly to ensure compliance with CAO20.18 as the GNSS source is not approved by CASA and doesn't meet the relevant TSO. 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

Yes, I'm in the same situation with my Skyview system & transponder!! It's madness that they require me to degrade the broadcast ADSB-out signal so they preserve their TSO'd "integrity"! The GPS accuracy isn't at issue (it's spot-on), it is the expense of the bureaucrats being paid to TSO the system (a ransom of millions no doubt...)!

• 2 weeks later...
I tried to mention this at a CASA safety meeting a few weeks ago ( an amalgamation of sources). I was pretty much stone walled from the moment I opened my mouth....... I'm starting to see personally the difficulty people have in dealing with CASA.[/QUOTeAt my safety seminar the CASA rep stated that they are concerned that vfr pilots have their heads and eyes focused within the cockpit On the EFB . And its only a matter of time before there is a mid air collision on route. What was the justification for this ? Same as relying ONLY on radio as a SITUATION AWARENESS tool . Not all aircraft have or use radios and not all aircraft have and use a EFB or transponder. So the data on the screen is not complete . They are concerned that pilots might not be keeping a proper lookout whilst using the small screen .

You decide for yourself im going to go with my instructors advice and do a proper scan. And if i happen to note a nearby aircraft on the screen , i will scan even more ! I guess they are saying dont trust the EFB traffic data, its not complete.

The same can be said about the skyview dynon radio, it's not TSO'd so I can't use it. I found that strange when I was asking about purchasing one.

Secondly, sending out AVPLAN and Ozrunways data, you would have to cancel out data at ground level as a few times I have driven home after a flight and I'm still being tracked.

So by CASA rep point of view a non radio aircraft would be the safest? but they cant enter CTAF-R??

That is unless all aircraft ADSB out fitted...........unless GPS fails or signal disturbed.

Must be chaos inside CTA?

Theres a low level cut off in Oz R - shouldnt do that

• Agree 1

So by CASA rep point of view a non radio aircraft would be the safest? but they cant enter CTAF-R??That is unless all aircraft ADSB out fitted...........unless GPS fails or signal disturbed.

Must be chaos inside CTA?

Theres a low level cut off in Oz R - shouldnt do that

Maybe it's the older version. I use Avplan.

Maybe it's the older version. I use Avplan.

I believe the OzRunways "traffic paint" data filtering is quite sophisticated. Whilst you may see your own road track (local device only) following you home after a flight, the iPad track data doesn't get "re-broadcast" as an airborne target to others.

• 9 months later...
Why did you buy an External GPS with it.Isn't your Tablets GPS OK, or do you fly out the Outback regularly?

Cheers.

Used it in the USA

external GPS was only $35

The signal is tiny at 100 mile range for a small USB aerial to pick up.

it is brilliant when connected to fore flight

picks up so much visually unseen traffic

would be a huge safety improvement if CASA and FAA rebroadcast all traffic.

Unsurprising.Airservices Australia could possibly act as a neutral third party and integrate software paints from both OzRunways and AvPlan, returning combined traffic data to each app developer + ADSB data from their own Airservices servers & radar. No need for a Raspberry Pi receiver that way - and just one app, too!

Yes I know that's unlikely, but I'm an idealist, I suppose...

It would be great to see adsb through the EFB. (I have the adsb rasberry pi with ozrunways and works well). And I have heard it was the otherway, avplan not wanting to share with ozrunways!!!. Time will tell but hopefully sorted out one day.

It would be great to see adsb through the EFB. (I have the adsb rasberry pi with ozrunways and works well). And I have heard it was the otherway, avplan not wanting to share with ozrunways!!!. Time will tell but hopefully sorted out one day.

I’ve given up on common sense prevailing (within CASA/Airservices Australia) to integrate traffic data from ADSB/AvPlan/OzRunways.I now fly with BOTH OzRunways & AvPlan active on my iPads, and my ADSB Raspberry Pi feeds info into both of my iPads. Aviators with either EFB will see me, and I will see the majority of them. I see it as a significant aid to situational awareness for me, and for most others airborne around me.

It’s a shame our aviation authorities don’t facilitate this automatically, but that would be taking safety seriously...I suppose that’s too much to ask!

And I have heard it was the otherway, avplan not wanting to share with ozrunways!!!.

The avplan rep stated on this forum he had no opposition to flight traffic being shared (Not sure if that position has changed)....... The response from ozrunways was ...."crickets"....

The avplan rep stated on this forum he had no opposition to flight traffic being shared (Not sure if that position has changed)....... The response from ozrunways was ...."crickets"....

I heard differently, but there is more to it I think than we will ever know or will be told. Would be nice if it was just sorted, combined all sources.

You can view both traffic on their websites, pity we can't just aggregate the data ourselves. I've done that before. Run Avplan and have Ozrunways in safari running and flick between the 2 now and then.

You can view both traffic on their websites, pity we can't just aggregate the data ourselves. I've done that before. Run Avplan and have Ozrunways in safari running and flick between the 2 now and then.

Does avplan provide website like ozrunways to view all traffic for free? As in tx.ozrunways.com

I think it is very important (perhaps more important) to watch the commercial aircraft and flick to flight radar 24 at times. The "flydoc" can be going into remote strips anywhere....Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker!

Bit confused and trying to get my head around this - and maybe someone could confirm my understandings or set me straight.

So lets say I built a Raspberry Pi ADS-B receiver (ADS-B in) and I plan to use Ozrunways on a 3G ipad mini in an aircraft.

1. I need the Raspberri Pi 3 module - which includes the wifi module.

2. I need a 1090 Mhz receiver and antenna suitable for aircraft (not one of the ground based monsters)

3. I need a stable 5V (USB) power supply

4. I don't need a GPS module as the iPad GPS knows my position.

5. I need to install some software on the raspberry pi. (not sure what talks best with ozrunways??)

6.There is no point having the the dual band as Air Services don't intend to put in transmitters for the ground the based 978Mhz

7. I will not get ADS-B weather as Air Services don't intend to put in transmitters for weather.

8 I cannot provide an ADS-B out to other aircraft location without a "real" transponder-squitter ($$+) [but is not required for VFR /class G/ RAA anyway]

9. Oz runways will show Ozrunways traffic via the 3g iPad data as usual.

10. ADS-B traffic will appear in ozrunways (similar to native ozrunwas traffic?) via Wifi from the Raspberry Pi.

11. ADS-B traffic is (IFR, some GA VFR and new aircraft after 2014)

12. non ADS-B Avplan traffic will not be visible

13. non ADS-B map and compass traffic will not be viable.

14. non ADS-B glider traffic will not be visible (Some vintage also)

Comments/clarifications appreciated thanks!

Bit confused and trying to get my head around this - and maybe someone could confirm my understandings or set me straight.So lets say I built a Raspberry Pi ADS-B receiver (ADS-B in) and I plan to use Ozrunways on a 3G ipad mini in an aircraft.

1. I need the Raspberri Pi 3 module - which includes the wifi module.

2. I need a 1090 Mhz receiver and antenna suitable for aircraft (not one of the ground based monsters)

3. I need a stable 5V (USB) power supply

4. I don't need a GPS module as the iPad GPS knows my position.

5. I need to install some software on the raspberry pi. (not sure what talks best with ozrunways??)

6.There is no point having the the dual band as Air Services don't intend to put in transmitters for the ground the based 978Mhz

7. I will not get ADS-B weather as Air Services don't intend to put in transmitters for weather.

8 I cannot provide an ADS-B out to other aircraft location without a "real" transponder-squitter ($$+) [but is not required for VFR /class G/ RAA anyway]

9. Oz runways will show Ozrunways traffic via the 3g iPad data as usual.

10. ADS-B traffic will appear in ozrunways (similar to native ozrunwas traffic?) via Wifi from the Raspberry Pi.

11. ADS-B traffic is (IFR, some GA VFR and new aircraft after 2014)

12. non ADS-B Avplan traffic will not be visible

13. non ADS-B map and compass traffic will not be viable.

14. non ADS-B glider traffic will not be visible (Some vintage also)

Comments/clarifications appreciated thanks!

All good questions. I will have a bash at it (happy to be corrected by others more knowledgeable...)1) Yes (mine is older and needs an external wifi "dongle")

2) Go to OzRunways website and get their parts list like I did. They are tiny usb "dongles" on the Raspberry Pi plus a tiny inboard antenna I leave stashed loosely in my "glovebox" in my cockpit. I am in a fabric fuselage and have no reception issues whatsoever.

3) I use the Jaycar 4x USB inserted into my "cigarette lighter" port on my instrument panel. It is high current, low RF "hash" and keeps my iPads & iPhone charged too.

4) My iPads have the "cellular" sim cards from Telstra and I have good signal coverage across most of the populated "J" regions of southeastern Australia

5) follow the instructions on the OzRunways website. It goes onto an SD card. I've used their default software

6) that is USA infrastructure... not applicable here

7) ditto

8) correct

9) correct

10) correct

11) correct (I believe). Note: lots of traffic not transmitting ADSB, so don't be complacent. Keep your eyes scanning! :-)

12) correct, unless you've paid for AvPlan and switch back and forth to their software like I do!

13) correct (note 11 above)

14) correct. I know a tech savvy twin pilot that has installed a FLARM device for situational awareness within gliding areas too! (I'm not up to that yet...)

It's sad that CASA/Airservices don't facilitate integration/re-release of AvPlan/OzRunways/ADSB data for EFB pilots (note my earlier posts on this). The cynic in me tells me they really don't care about safety, otherwise it would be done by now!