Airport for Sale

And I thought it was in Australia!.

No way could I talk the wife into a sea-change of that magnitude. ( would it be freehold or like the Northern territory's lease-hold.

Spacesailor

Spot on Kaz. I've just landed in Oz after thirteen years in SA. slowly but surely a lot of the rural runways have been consumed by townships. Pretty sad really and often involves theft and vandalism of the aircraft encouraging owners to move on.

Don't know how Baberton's positioned in this regard though.

So what you need it to play the political game SA style ... get together 50 Australians to throw in US10k each to buy it AND then put an operating lease to a local ANC leader on a $50/yr lease with tied conditions that it must be operated as an airfield and tourist accommodation with free access to owners and owners have the right to build hangar/lodges on specified building plots ...

As I recall Barberton is just over the border from Swaziland with a big asbestos mine and an aerial ropeway. Little gold mines in the hills. Old-school Boer country in those days, I wouldn't choose to retire there.

WoW That went up a lot, they said it was in the millions earlier, but no takers and had to drop the price, ( something about a death).

Looked at your link and that's it, the news crew gave the starting price of $450,000

spacesailor