The XPB Stage 1 underway.

How many joins in that wing section, Bex? How are the joins made? Doesn't every added join weaken the member? Isn't it better to have one complete, untouched member for the section, for strength?

There is only the yellow and grey sections with a continuous beam ("untouched section") through them and a short lower beam.

The yellow spar is stock 2 x 1 meter sheet retaining it's 2 meter length as is the grey spar simply retaining the 1 meter width (as it's length) stock meter sheet.

At this time for the proto it will be welded.

I didn't think Bex said less effort. I thought it was the material list was no different

It is less effort when using stock materials list.

The yellow spar is simply cut, folded, and slips straight onto the spar beam, no measuring or critical alignment etc. required (note the red arrows). It works, it's foolproof and rough assembly of the whole wing spar takes only a couple of minutes (unsecured). There's more to it there that you can not see.

• Like 1

Then we have all these little braces that I call cows, cause they look like cows duh, that of course brace the assembly and go through the spar to carry the ribs on both sides ... I have to add a couple of rib tabs on the back side, or front side, I haven't decided which way 'round it goes yet.

1402826416_newwing2.jpg.45f65b2a6ace32400da736fcf511dd32.jpg These are all done by the way.

2019928527_newwing1.jpg.cfcd951fc84b9a126e1d2340e7068252.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1

I dunno, the design still looks a little dodgy to me. Maybe I need another month to get my head around it. Ideally, shouldn't the wing taper in thickness towards the ends? 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

Here's your wing design principles chart ... I trust you're reading from this ... 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

http://www.wainfan.com/wingdes.pdf

• Like 1

Ideally, shouldn't the wing taper in thickness towards the ends? 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

No. There is some but little advantage for a taper wing at this level of craft. there is however a large difference in hassle, cost, build time, etc. that I made the decision that price and build time were of greater importance.

Besides plenty of production and kit straight wing aircraft, the biggest selling kitplane in the world are straight wing, i.e. Vans, as just one example of many.

Wainfan has done some wonderful things in military jet aircraft and a unique flying body, but nothing in the area we predominately move in and I would rather take on information from people who have done it in the hundreds and even thousands of successful light aircraft.

• Informative 1

And why, exactly, is the Vans the biggest-selling kitplane in the world? Is it because it's the best design around? - or is it because it's a cheap and nasty design, with the minimum amount of material supplied to get you airborne? 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

There are plenty of designs in this world that offer the minimum of good design, along with the minimum amount of material required to do the job, for the minimum amount of dollars/pounds/zlotys expended.

Then there are the few items that offer superior design, with a little more material (usually superior material), for not a lot more money. Wise buyers seek out the latter.

The "biggest-selling" advertising brag is often due to superior marketing and sales people, too - not necessarily because the item provides everything the buyer seeks, at low cost.

Ikea furniture comes to mind.

The "biggest-selling" advertising brag is often due to superior marketing and sales people, too - not necessarily because the item provides everything the buyer seeks, at low cost.Ikea furniture comes to mind.

I was thinking Jabiru maybe?

043_duck_for_cover.gif.77707e15ee173cd2f19de72f97e5ca3b.gif

Onetrack, I don't know where you are going with this.

Vans is one of the most respected planes out there period, there's a reason for 9000 of them flying and some 3000 being built - and not so cheap either.

I'm trying to put a $10K, 6 month fast build kit of decent quality on the market, no one else in the world has such a product, not even close, so if you expect tapered wings, retracts and milled titanium parts, well I think you need to find another thread because I'm going to disappoint you..

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Winner 3

And here was me thinking, we were going to get something far superior than the Ikea of ULS aircraft! The disappointment!! 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif Will it come in a flat pack with readable instructions, or will I need to get help to assemble it?? 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Bottom line is - is a $10K kitplane offer, really going to make a huge difference, when owner-builders are often looking at more than that, for instruments/avionics, and around $25-30K for a motor? 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

Not trying to diss your project, I admire your efforts - just trying to get my head around the economics/benefits of what you're trying to achieve, and whether it will cause a huge rush of sales for you.

I'm just pointing out, that price alone, is not the final determining factor in most peoples purchase decisions. The largest number consider performance, looks, resale, comfort and user-friendliness, as well as the price.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1