The XPB Stage 1 underway.

Would you give it a rest, Kiwi? I expect it's intended to be funny and harmless, but it's coming across as unfunny racism.

Yeah, it is intended to be funny, Like Bexr I have spent time in China, on more than just a tourist trip, with friends over there who I still keep in touch with and some who even visit here in NZ when work brings them this way.

It might surprise you but I have tucked into chicken feet myself, with the right spices they aren't bad, a bit bland and with a geletinious texture, but even to foreign preferences they are quite edible. Even chinese I know will joke about them to foreign friends.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR__Z4uAlk_mfMFT_3pmdVSDXFApL7VA33kvCQggfZn7Dj_NdbVV5KU6UoR_w

Oh yeah, now THAT stuff is just plain inedible! You should get your hands on some NZ Marmite instead!

Back to the original topic, Bexr... didn't the plan originally have diagonal bracing slipped into cutouts in the extrusions down the sides, not just around the join of the bottom fuselage bars? are they no longer needed?

Point being that I wanted to see if it really is as easy to someone else as it is for me, apparently it is.

You must have been disappointed to find out you aren't special after all 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Its ok, there are counselling services available 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

• Haha 1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR__Z4uAlk_mfMFT_3pmdVSDXFApL7VA33kvCQggfZn7Dj_NdbVV5KU6UoR_w

I was afraid someone would mention that.

I spent half a winter on Paramushir with the Russians, arriving and departing by Mil8 (that's the aviation bit, okay?)

Most refreshing how the BS ceases to exist if the environment is harsh enough (how come that doesn't seem to work here?)

There was an Ozzie with us. He subsisted entirely on 2min noodles. And beat the ass off us at cards (that's your local content).

We Kiwis had Vegemite.

And the Russians wouldn't go near it, would watch in horror as we spread it on our toast.

Cant think why....

I can think why! It's ducking fisgusting. Vegemite is toe jam, pure and simple. Chicken's feet is delicious in comparison and I hate chicken.

I can think why! It's ducking fisgusting. Vegemite is toe jam, pure and simple. Chicken's feet is delicious in comparison and I hate chicken.

C'mon, man....where's ya sense of adventure????

Vegemite, Marmite and Promite ... all part of my childhood and all still very good sources of vitamins ... and flavour

Now, there speaks a well balanced and truly cosmopolitan citizen.....)

• Agree 1

Back to the original topic, Bexr... didn't the plan originally have diagonal bracing slipped into cutouts in the extrusions down the sides, not just around the join of the bottom fuselage bars? are they no longer needed?

Well as I've mentioned a few times this is a dynamic build to sort out the build system as a priority so changes will occur as has been seen with the new side plates.

Diagonal bracing was never included at this stage because I have, and always had, a plan for them and they are one of the last things that will be seen. FEA says diagonals aren't actually needed as the skins actually are strong enough but that doesn't take into account for skin buckling so bracing it will have - eventually.

• Like 2

Time to attend to the vertical and horizontal braces.

One of the purposes of showing stuff on the net is to get feedback good or bad to aid in the decision making process and irrelevant of what is a good method or not, if people don't like it based on a feeling or lore then it's not wise to continue or argue the point.

There has been one too many comments about me milling holes in the side of the extrusions, I can argue the point all day long but that doesn't mean a thing to those with a mindset that it's not a good thing, so with that in mind yesterday I drew up new vertical gussets with cute little fold out tabs to position the horizontal braces while the sides are drawn in towards each other.

Tomorrow will have them laser cut out do a test run and see how they go ...

2081152925_verticalbracetabs.jpg.82be73d46c1ca99d10d3e875ba02bd60.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

It's looking very boxy. how about a turtle deck ( not to eat) and some fairings and stringers?

C'mon Mate, I'm only 3 weeks into the build.

I do have some idea of what it will end up looking like, but long way off yet ...

1168674644_M39.jpg.6a6cd7e965c1b68aa44ba274196da1c0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Winner 2

If you're going to have a fold out tab thingy, why not a square section to fold down and sit the cross brace on?

Are you expecting the skill level so low, that actually reading plans, using and marking with a tape measure is not required?

I do have some idea of what it will end up looking like, but long way off yet ...

[ATTACH=full]43251[/ATTACH]

I see you're keeping weight down by using the innovative method of removing the torsos of the pilot and passenger...

• Haha 1
  • Winner 1

If you're going to have a fold out tab thingy, why not a square section to fold down and sit the cross brace on?Are you expecting the skill level so low, that actually reading plans, using and marking with a tape measure is not required?

Because the tab actually goes inside the cross tube and holds it securely on both longitudinal and vertical axis until ready to add the main gusset later. The rearmost cross brace for example would just slide forward with out that securing.

I'm not expecting the skill level so low, it's all about simplicity and speed with accuracy, I just wanted to verify it with some low skill level testing.

Of course there is some very basic measuring and checking, and extensive build manual and build video supplied.

Those sides are built from from just one initial measure/marking, all the rest self jigs from there. Also I am the type that goes out of my way to round all numbers off where possible, that first measure/mark is 900mm for example, not 883mm or 924mm etc.

800586940_M47litetopgussets.jpg.cb07d6d3f78a9034a88124616ec8d1a6.jpg

• Like 6

Not want to get too far ahead, but, the canopy always seems to be a stumbling block. Would it be possible to make the design fit an already available canopy|? ( does one exist? ) or better still a glass house canopy like WW2 American carrier planes. Or better still that that even , No canopy at all....

• Informative 1

Not want to get too far ahead, but, the canopy always seems to be a stumbling block. Would it be possible to make the design fit an already available canopy|? ( does one exist? ) or better still a glass house canopy like WW2 American carrier planes. Or better still that that even , No canopy at all....

Too far ahead but I want to stick with flat wrap.

Making flat wrap appealing is the challenge but I am drawn to the PIK 26 style ..

Pik-26

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Bubbles only take a bit of practice (and following standard procedure), are fairly easy to make.

One of our locals got it right (eventually)

• Helpful 1