The XPB Stage 1 underway.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyway, been busy with some other stuff but trying to get a few hours in here and there and should be back into it for a bit now.

Current step is designing and building the Ailerons and Flaps, as well as Wing Tips.

They are almost 100% matched hole assemblies and I put the final iteration of the basic Ailerons together this afternoon, took less than 2 hours. Still needs operating quadrants finalised.

275648208_Ailerons4.jpg.61341d457ed4569ea7bf6865da96d769.jpg

901055735_Ailerons1.jpg.0a68c2cde8485de3d52038da2e3d294e.jpg

1257669828_Ailerons3.jpg.e5aaa9d44c6838ca0804c999d7ca0901.jpg

1740988306_wingtips1.jpg.e16479de62fde1eda2cb5a920151e578.jpg

686608856_wingtips1.jpg.14e6a8e1314ef3853a5d0e1975ed55a0.jpg

1746634242_Ailerons1.jpg.6192fae95aa73673571d4f9b8c92ba4a.jpg

1024104148_Ailerons1.jpg.c39b9c1371310a7fdc8bc7309e646c02.jpg

• Like 4

So after the tin test, lasered up the Flaps this morning and 2 hours later had 2 flaps to make the basic Aileron/Flap sets.

Now to the operation levers for both so I can think about closing up the wings ..

1191294377_ailflaps2.jpg.af0e5d30d6ba4e20c42cda9825d9152a.jpg

275512039_ailflaps1.jpg.a1277918c1d8ac73c4d9903317845939.jpg

• Like 8
  • Helpful 1

So figured a base line for a fast, easy, super cheap Aileron linkage, off to the laser shop in the morning, weld it up and see what I have to push and shove to get things working as desired.

It's one of the very few welded parts in the beast. .. and yes, differential Ailerons.

215688519_aileronlinkages0.jpg.77c49821176f1eace48ede8b93e80fd5.jpg

• Like 6

So figured a base line for a fast, easy, super cheap Aileron linkage, off to the laser shop in the morning, weld it up and see what I have to push and shove to get things working as desired.It's one of the very few welded parts in the beast. .. and yes, differential Ailerons.

[ATTACH=full]50251[/ATTACH]

Looks good. Strong mounting.

Just one question - why couldn't the bottom hinge plate of the bell crank assembly and the plate that the aileron rod end is mounted to be one combined webbed "L" shape? Simpler and stronger.

If the aileron rod end was mounted underneath instead of on top there'd still be clearance for it, plus inspection from underneath would be easier.

• Like 1

Just one question - why couldn't the bottom hinge plate of the bell crank assembly and the plate that the aileron rod end is mounted to be one combined webbed "L" shape? Simpler and stronger.

I was waiting for someone to ask why not a round tube.

Square tube because the 4 various bellcrank levers are instantly and consistently indexed.

If the aileron rod end was mounted underneath instead of on top there'd still be clearance for it, plus inspection from underneath would be easier.

Because if the nut falls off the rod will not. If the rod was underneath it would be instant system disconnect, and possibly worse, possible self operation of the Aileron.

Laser done, weld after lunch ..

index.jpg.83c7b028063a2ec4c742583cf6cd4e6f.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

So figured a base line for a fast, easy, super cheap Aileron linkage, off to the laser shop in the morning, weld it up and see what I have to push and shove to get things working as desired.It's one of the very few welded parts in the beast. .. and yes, differential Ailerons.

[ATTACH=full]50251[/ATTACH]

Dunno Bex looks way complicated and not very cheap, think you penchant for drawing things in CAD have overtaken you, KISS, something like this is used in heaps of aircraft for simplicity and easy of use and maintenance, your making more work for your self and others. And yes it's a high wing still works on all wings,

Inboard bellcrank, control, cables thru to wing, aileron flap control

• Like 1

Personally I prefer the push rod idea compared to those Bowden cables, but each to their own. I can see they would be simpler but just don't tickle my fancy.

• Agree 4

Dunno

Well at least we agree on something.

looks way complicated and not very cheap, think you penchant for drawing things in CAD have overtaken you, KISS, something like this is used in heaps of aircraft for simplicity and easy of use and maintenance, your making more work for your self and others. And yes it's a high wing still works on all wings,Inboard bellcrank, control, cables thru to wing, aileron flap control

Is very simple. it's a bit of box tube with 4 lasered out quadrants that take about 3 minutes on the laser, and quickly welded.

Mounts up to holes already there, 2 birds, one stone.

Is very cheap. Aprox $8 in parts, lasering and welding for a single set, rapidly reducing in multiples. How much were your cables again? I have sets of cables in my shop btw.

I draw my 3D and 2D for record keeping, i.e. modern blueprints, and quite often AFTER I have made the part. This is a must for me and has to be done, so your point is moot.

Rods are used in most planes, not cables, and for a reason, cables do not offer a positive feel. I haven't yet dismissed using a cable from the stick to the bellcrank, but that is because it would be almost a dead straight run avoiding flex and stiction from curves.

i have had many experiences previously with direct cable to rod comparisons, from rear brakes on motor cycles, to car gearchanges and various machines, rods/bellcranks are far superior for positive operation.

• Agree 2

Ok bit rough and ready, don't have fancy proggys, but still think a simple bracket using round tube or square tube mounted on the rib with short direct rod to aileron horn and have all you bell cranks and and other bits inboard, all those connections are just more things that can go wrong and I for one would not want something to drop off in a wing during flight, way too complexindex.jpg.05914cf3fda5831b492eac7fd91fa79d.jpg