The XPB Stage 1 underway.

all those connections are just more things that can go wrong and I for one would not want something to drop off in a wing during flight,

Every time a plane crashes in the news and someone dies, my azz cheeks tighten a little thinking what if in the future that's one of my planes.

I go to extreme lengths to make sure that risk of component failure is zero, and if it does, that there is redundancy.

If you're happy with cable brackets that your 10 year old neighbor kid made for you and clevis pins at the aileron, that's great, you are responsible only for yourself, I will be responsible for other people's lives.

It doesn't matter how long a chain is, it only takes one link to break.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

This plane stuff is tricky. You have to think 5 steps ahead, what happens if I do this?, if it breaks what happens?

I am putting a trim tab in a plane that did not have one to start with and its already been back to the think tank a few times. I like that all the thinking is being done by someone else on this one.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

I am putting a trim tab in a plane that did not have one to start with

Want to start a thread or keep us up todate on the trim tab install ClintonB, sure be interested to see with some notes and pics, have been pondering this one myself.

So this is the roughed out version using SCRAP RUBBISH laying around the shop, that includes the tubing. NOT indicative of the final product, just using it to measure throw, angles and clearances.

After this, I modified the action a little, very happy with the differential action, and tomorrow I will make a decent looking, smaller and lighter unit closer to what will be used.

• Like 4

nice, low friction,light weight. Those teleflex cables should stay on boats.

I personnally agree absolutely. I saw a none genuine cable fitted to a tug that broke without warning. Outer run fitup was better than spec for radius of bends and support etc. Metallography testing of the inner s/s wire that broke showed a high copper content that contributed to the failure. Whenever these are used I you should never replace with any other non-genuine cable other than the manufactures item or another approved item.

Just to verify that i have played with them, and as I said, I still haven't ruled out using them from the stick to the bellcrank, running a pretty straight line.

309643573_bowdencables.jpg.7157c145d4e427726a13626ab239cf18.jpg

• Like 1

So today's efforts.

First a new Aileron quadrant to tie in with the final bellcrank layout, and a little bit of effort into getting weight out of it.

735289368_aileronquadrant.jpg.e734966c40fb3eb031bdaaf5c7ac8532.jpg

Now, good news for some of the lazy, useless, indolent, apathetic, inert, languorous, lethargic, listless, sleepy, sluggish, torpid sods out there who don't want to drill holes.

Because of the work on the bellcrank, I damaged the adjoining number 6 rib, so had to make a new one. I spent a whole 20 minutes of my incredibly precious time for you mentioned above, working out how to perfect matched holes for the non-linear curve to suit the pre-formed rib flange.

The parts arrived on my bench and it took me 2 minutes and 7 seconds to assemble it including stopping to have a swig from my bottle of drink (true story).

So as some of you requested, I present: matched hole ribs ...

2083806910_rib61.jpg.a30c2ab437707ac9e7fc476142c953a3.jpg

18594541_rib62.jpg.a3053716c4fa8b231e1e90df9cf00c19.jpg

1658746336_rib63.jpg.2ef01c612ca07c3f5a790827ad66c8d8.jpg

1402799432_rib64.jpg.a44207a5fe1598aa66e4cdfe53feda93.jpg

175377364_rib65.jpg.197bee433a7f2738f361f20a2f7391ff.jpg

The finish is superb, far better than the hand drilled, damn you to hell Laser Beam, the Arch Enemy of Luddites the World over!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Nice work Bex. Forgive me if this has been covered (I haven't followed this thread closely) but wouldn't your ribs be stronger if the big holes were pressed out, leaving curved edges?

Flanged. Yes I wondered that too. A quick process and adds strength with no extra weight.

Nice work Bex. Forgive me if this has been covered (I haven't followed this thread closely) but wouldn't your ribs be stronger if the big holes were pressed out, leaving curved edges?

They are not final and are not been flanged because they may be moved or changed in size yet.

If you notice this new rib has a rather oval hole now to give more clearance to the bellcrank, and number 1 through 5 all need that same hole moved closer to the spar for the main Aileron actuating link.

Currently everything you see that you see is not what you see, you see. Si.

I'm not sure that in overall terms the extra stiffness of the flange is of any value, they would however go a long way to stopping tearing from the edges of the holes .

Suppose I'll have to do the flanges as well for you lazy feckless lot too.

• Like 2

The trouble is, without the flanges it is a flat flat pack flanges will increase package size by a smidge! I think I mentioned earlier that I love the idea of the riveted on edge especially for the flat package aspect.

I like the idea of the riveted edge too, especially for tapered wings. Makes a lot of sense.

Doesn't mean that flanging the ribs isn't also a good idea though. Yes it may take up another 50mm or so in packing, I reckon it's worth it.

• Agree 1

Because of a well thought out complete system, I was quite pleased with myself that my 'clever hidden' counterweight system not only worked as planned, but relies on about 1 kg rather than the 2 or 3kgs that many other craft use per side.

I'll show you and explain when it's all properly finished, but today I temporarily tested the setup using some lead for weight gotten from a local fishing shop melted into a mold (not the final method). Here's a shot of my temporary industrial foundry I set up today, and the most critical tip I can give to homebuilders: Wait until the Wife goes out! ...

924263521_leadmelt.jpg.9b3c6b21b9e288863ffc94fd71ea8d02.jpg

I also believe my system is superior to this guy's 3kgs of lead shot in a bucket hanging on a rope, imagine the drag on it! He could at least put low drag aero tubing over the ropes ...

counterweight.jpg.f4133bdb3f4167d53ff461c4350b2651.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3