The XPB Stage 1 underway.

Well based on some of my posts immediately above, this was today's proceedings ..

[ATTACH=full]43259[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]43260[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]43262[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]43263[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]43264[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]43265[/ATTACH]

Are they 1/8" rivets or 5/32"?

If you're going to metal skin the sides of the fuse, it's not worth making steel (or whatever) fitting to hold the vertical stiffeners.

A small aluminium triangle bracket on the inside would be plenty.

It could include the locating tag for the cross member.

Truth be known, the square tube stiffener is overkill as well, even if you only intend to skin with 0.016 thou.

If you're going to metal skin the sides of the fuse, it's not worth making steel (or whatever) fitting to hold the vertical stiffeners.A small aluminium triangle bracket on the inside would be plenty.

No, thanks, a small aluminium triangle is not suitable for my goals. There is more than just engineering reasons to pool methodology choices from.

I have built a Morgan, I know all about small aluminium triangle gussets and here is the very first one I did..

"WARNING: Horrible image will appear next, those with heart or nervous disorders please look away now*

Image17.JPG.6db01643e6a2590c99d7d6f3c736bfe9.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well based on some of my posts immediately above, this was today's proceedings ..

[ATTACH=full]43259[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]43260[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]43262[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]43263[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]43264[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]43265[/ATTACH]

I'm guessing you've already picked up on this... would it be worth moving the rivets near the tab so that the cross member end doesn't go right on them?

I'm guessing you've already picked up on this... would it be worth moving the rivets near the tab so that the cross member end doesn't go right on them?

Yes, a few things need to be juggled, this is just first test run stuff.

It's only 5 minutes work to rectify it later.

... He had the hide the other day to ask if he could have some meat with his bowl of rice for it, don't know what this place is coming to, they see one Western movie and want freedom FGS...

...just wait till the Reds come back, comrade!

...One of the purposes of showing stuff on the net is to get feedback good or bad to aid in the decision making process and irrelevant of what is a good method or not...

Clever bugger that Bex! Instead of paying squillions for dodgy "market research" he taps into our planet's largest repository (suppository?) of Rec aviation experience.

• Haha 1
  • Winner 1

Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream ...

A single bolt is holding the tail together otherwise nothing but the strap at the front, no rivets or fasteners otherwise holding the basic boat together, just geometry.

1068642954_image1.jpg.ae63aefe4072f7966f9d127fd20baf37.jpg

Image2.jpg.6f3197ed1a99cf5856e8ab865f701920.jpg

Image3.jpg.65ab4294b9e4a464ff720fb3ec908b35.jpg

Image4.jpg.654e377313613cf34c3c242bad6c12ab.jpg

• Like 9
  • Winner 1
  • Caution 1

Where is the "Like a lot" button?

Thanks Dave, appreciated as is the support I get here - I actually thought typical Oz cynisism would be rampant, but has been wonderful, thanks Guys.

• Winner 1

Looks intriguing, Bex. How does the weight compare to traditional airframes?

I'm not sure what a "traditional" weight is, all I can say is that if I don't have a craft that's low 300kgs and 6g's then I'm probably not in the game, competitively priced or not. I am currently under target but there's always stuff missed so we will see.

If it's a bit heavy I'll just take Marty's lead and drill holes in the wings.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

You'll need to watch out for the onset of flutter on that front strap.....059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif

Strap? That's the new Bex engine... hook the prop on it and wind it back 2000 times before flight...

• Haha 9

It looks too ... ummm ... boxy. Now, if you curved the upright bracing members, you could shorten the horizontal members, and you'd start to have it looking something like the aviation equivalent of a Mazda 6 Atenza .... 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

After all, anyone can build a boxy looking aircraft. They did that in 1910. Nowadays, despite all this super-duper CAD stuff, we are not seeing the aviation equivalent in design and shape, that is available in a current model $15,000 car.

In fact, I reckon a lot of current model cars are probably more aerodynamic than a lot of kitplanes. 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Have seen plans similar to this, the HM-14 from memory, but didn't require a 6 cyl engine though, ok best of luck with your endeavors, be back in two years when it and the engine come together.

flea2.gif.461d516ebdfe2add181ec3c6b40ddc20.gif

• Haha 1

It looks too ... ummm ... boxy. Now, if you curved the upright bracing members, you could shorten the horizontal members, and you'd start to have it looking something like the aviation equivalent of a Mazda 6 Atenza .... 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gifAfter all, anyone can build a boxy looking aircraft. They did that in 1910. Nowadays, despite all this super-duper CAD stuff, we are not seeing the aviation equivalent in design and shape, that is available in a current model $15,000 car.

In fact, I reckon a lot of current model cars are probably more aerodynamic than a lot of kitplanes. 031_loopy.gif.e6c12871a67563904dadc7a0d20945bf.gif

Firstly, just note I am nowhere near finished and still trying out ides.

I thank you for your opinion, I am taking notes and changes will be made accordingly as long as it doesn't increase the price but adding another process that someone has to pay for.

That's the second time "boxy" has been mentioned and coincidently, this very day I made large steps into resolving that issue.

I am trying to end up with one of the cheapest kit planes in the world that looks and acts like a reasonable unit and is at least a partially desirable plane. It won't look Risen or Shark UL desirable, but I'll try my best for 1/10 of the price.

ok best of luck with your endeavors, be back in two years when it and the engine come together.

1 month down, 5 to go. I am on a time frame.

• Like 4